Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SLB win?

4-1 trashing.... Jankauskas double and Cesar another to finish by a Simao Sabrosa goal...

Simao is looking very good and i think might get the call for 2002WC if he continues his great form.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Simão, if not injured, was already assured in the WC2002. He only needed a first team appeareance. And I can quite assure you one of the "jokers" Oliveira likes: Hugo Viana is one of them.

Jankauskas stayed well but fails some technical details (receiving the ball, for ex) - we could notice that in the Varzim match already. But since Brian Deane Benfica hadn't a forward like this. A better technique and he could be a serious striker. The second half reminded me the Benfica matches of the pre-season, passing the ball with confidence, 1/2 touches but one main difference: Mantorras worried putting the ball on the sides instead of breaking into the defense with runs - I don't remember Mantorras missing a breaking pass. For me, along with Simão and Caneira he was the best there.
Also a better defense in the 2nd half once the 1st half defense commited some "arrogant" errors - they made things difficult with no need (specially the final J.Pinto lack of marking that made Salgueiros goal). We could also noticed the difference between a defense with Argel and César: Argel avoids pressing opponents in front because if he doesn't make fouls he is doomed - he's definetely a marker, César played more free in the area. The problem of having 2 markers playing together (Argel and J.Pinto) is solved with a focused zonal defender (César) - what Benfica really needed once Caneira is playing in the sides (and so well, I even wonder if he doesn't deserve going to WC2002).
Tiago played very well with F.Aguiar, they understood each other quite well; Carlitos defended well and was useful, making the stuff Poborsky didn't want to do in the last days...
We are starting to see the pre-season Benfica. Watch out...

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I'm starting to get excited about this team again. :excited:
Jank brought some new life to the team, and so did Aguiar. Simao proved to be what I expected.

But Mantorras please wake up!!! :( Don't turn "Sabry" on us.

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
BIG WIN!

Jank could be the missing piece on offense. They've been inconsistent there all season.

Pila: EAGLES!!! :dazed:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
ladyeagle: you didn't like Mantorras?

the difference I've noticed in the way Mantorras played (comparing pre-season and now) is due to the difference between Sokota and Jankauskas: Sokota is a lot more free role player than Jankauskas and by that fact Mantorras stayed in the front and just needed to dribble; now the front reference is Jankauskas and Mantorras made a bit of playmaking (also because of Zahovic's absense).

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
remember the best period Benfica had with Souness. there were 7 portuguese players (thing never seen in many years there): Paulo Madeira, Sousa, Tiago (now in U.Leiria), Calado, Luís Carlos, Nuno Gomes, João V. Pinto. Yesterday the same thing: Jorge Ribeiro, João Pinto, Caneira, Tiago, Fernando Aguiar (I consider him Portuguese), Simão, Carlitos.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I like Mantorras.

But lately, he hasn't been doing much imo. I see him losing too many balls, and not fighting enough. (but maybe it's just my imagination)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
LadyEagle said:
I like Mantorras.

But lately, he hasn't been doing much imo. I see him losing too many balls, and not fighting enough. (but maybe it's just my imagination)
Like LPC said, his role seemed different (don't know if it was by design or not, but...), he didn't threaten to score himself, but did serve laser like passes to the wings on a continuous basis, which served to set up our other man, Janky.

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
Fine...

Do you think we'll be offered crazy amounts of money, still? Or that we would be if the season finished right now?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
LadyEagle said:
Fine...

Do you think we'll be offered crazy amounts of money, still? Or that we would be if the season finished right now?
I don't think his value has fallen at all. Anyone with a half scruple of football knowledge knows that the man has hardly tapped into his potential. Scouts are well aware of the circumstances that seem to retard his play. There's no doubt in my mind that with Jesualdo's philosophy we'll soon see what Mantorras can do when your opponent can't put three men on him, now that they have to account for Janke as well.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
He's probably not at the top of his confidence. A young player carrying the attack of Benfica and sees that the team isn't winning as it should - It's easy to understand. He's very nervous but that will fade with time and these good performances the team is making are going to help that. This would be probably the most difficult period of the season, though - it's starting to rain a lot here.

·
Registered
221 Posts
:rolleyes:

Oh yeah remember that Alverca will get 50% of the cut when Benfica sales him.

And trust me he hasn't lost any value.....look at Milan they were willing to cough up 8 million big ones for Pena !??:eek:

and your D played horrible( your old "achilles heel" , still...hello:howler: ) , i mean Caneira was like a 1 man wrecking crew back there , Salgueiras got a PK taken away and Pinto saved a goal at the chalk line.

And plus your team runs around....shooting cages at deers like Varsim Spears and Salg. Aguilera!! U need to beat a top opponant!!:mad:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
50% only if he's sold under 4 milhões de contos (how much is in Euros? damn!) because if the selling fee is bigger than 4 milhões de contos it's different and it's not 50% - I don't know exactly how now.
Pena in Milan was another Tuttosport invention, you know that.

Talking about "achilles heel" you surely want to explain me the reason why Ricardo Costa makes his debut in a First Division match against Boavista when you have Ricardo Silva and a fired Jorge Costa. Also explain me what options you have for the left side and what strikers you have in Porto squad.

·
Registered
615 Posts
It's really interesting to see how Jan has changed since he left Real. I mean, at Real he always proved to be a good reciever and even though he is a traditional power forward he really showed awesome technique....... the only thing he failed was scoring. I mean he scored pretty much, but not enough considering how many chances he had......

And now at Benfica, his biggest ability is the fact that he scores, and I really hope he continues scoring the way he has done these first game. He proves to be a great addition to the Benfica squad. Maybe he'll beat Jardel in the end of the season :rollani: :D

Anyway, Jan is a marvellous player and I wish him all the best in the future......

·
International
5,629 Posts
LPC was dead on on the analysis. Mantorras played very well considering the man must be dead tired from playing every single minute. Simao is on fire...probably the best Portuguese player based on form right now...and that includes Figo.

Jankauskas is a finisher... Exactly what we needed. Fernando Aguiar is a monster in that midfield...I'd like to know what he's on. The guy is non stop.

If only we can make up some ground on Sporting and Boavista somehow....we'll be fighting for the Championship.

FORCA BENFICA!

BTW...Welcome back Razor! Hope your vacation went well. :)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Thanks Red :)

LPC's dead-on, per usual. I'd also chime in re: his blame of JMP on the lone Salgueiros goal: he got beat two ways, actually. He should have held up as he was watching the pass for the trap. Had he held up, he'd have been offside and the goal would have been nullified. Secondly, once he made the decision to pursue, he got beat in the footrace. I think it was the hesitation that cost him. As mentioned here earlier, he redeemed himself with the goal-line goal saver later on.

Setubal's going down :)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
That's OK with the goal sufferin and stuff. The key is to score more than your opponent, I doubt there are teams out there that can now keep up with us, with the exception of Sporting.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
"That's OK with the goal sufferin and stuff. The key is to score more than your opponent"

That was the key that Toni always said in 93/94 remember? It was just like that (the results 4-2; 3-2, etc...). He changed a lot in his mentality, didn't he?...

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
:happy: I was so happy when I heard about the result ... that was the kind of a result I was waiting for all the season :star:
VIVA O BENFICA

1 - 20 of 20 Posts