Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first steps towards our return to European greatness begin today. Much of the background noise surrounding the club has been silenced, the new stadium construction is humming along and there is a quiet air of confidence at the Luz.

The preliminary roster & numbers were released today, they are:

1 -Moreira
2 - Armando
3 - Argel (I thought he was gone?!)
4 - Cabral
7 - Andersson (him too!?)
8 - Roger
9 - Mantorras
10 - Zahovic
11 - Drulovic
14 - Ednilson
16 - Joao Manuel Pinto
18 - Carlitos
19 - Geraldo
20 - Simão
22 - Andrade
23 - Miguel (still here ;))
24 - Nuno Santos
25 - Sokota
29 - Fernando Aguiar
30 - Tiago
33 - Ricardo Rocha

A couple of observations re: the #s -

5 - Holding out for Caneira?
6 - Will the Cristiano deal get done?
21 - How's My Hair? is still a possibility

Forca Benfica!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Two questions:

By "begins today", do you mean there's a game today?

What's the latest on Simao's rehab? Is he "practicing with the ball" as they like to say?

Is Sokota fully recovered?

Okay! Okay! That's four questions, I know. I know - can't count.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey - Belated Happy 4th to you!

There's no game today, but the players are all showing up to begin training. Simao's definitely "ahead of schedule" and has been "treino com bola" as they say ;). That's right up there with my other favorite futebol rag term/phrase: "peladinha". I say that to my daughter as I try to get her to kick the ball and my wife says, "what the hell word is that? It isn't Portuguese - I think you made it up". For the record, she says that about 20 times a day whenever I try to butcher the language around the house.

Sokota & Simao are both supposed to be ready by the end of September. Let's hope we're opening at home against Nacional or some such recently-promoted side and not another classico to start the season like the match with Porto two seasons ago at das Antas.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Razor said:
Hey - Belated Happy 4th to you!

There's no game today, but the players are all showing up to begin training. Simao's definitely "ahead of schedule" and has been "treino com bola" as they say ;). That's right up there with my other favorite futebol rag term/phrase: "peladinha". I say that to my daughter as I try to get her to kick the ball and my wife says, "what the hell word is that? It isn't Portuguese - I think you made it up". For the record, she says that about 20 times a day whenever I try to butcher the language around the house.

Sokota & Simao are both supposed to be ready by the end of September. Let's hope we're opening at home against Nacional or some such recently-promoted side and not another classico to start the season like the match with Porto two seasons ago at das Antas.
Happy Belated 4th to you Razor!

Apparently everyone reported on time. But I thought Peixe was signed for Benfica? :confused: The Roger/ZZ saga has begun with both players being very PC about their status on the team. Roger claims he's a maturer player, and ZZ claims Roger will only help Benfica. Who here thinks we're not going to have any problems with these two throughout the season?

As for the word "pedalinha"...it comes from the word "pedal". It's the same in english. "Pedalinha" is a cute way of saying a quick warm-up game.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
See Razor? A guy shoots a 97 at still hockey over the weekend and automatically feels compelled to give us vocabulary lessons. Last time he managed a draw at chess, he posted three pages on Webster's definition of "cataclysm" when I told him I prefered Pizza.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Pila said:
See Razor? A guy shoots a 97 at still hockey over the weekend and automatically feels compelled to give us vocabulary lessons. Last time he managed a draw at chess, he posted three pages on Webster's definition of "cataclysm" when I told him I prefered Pizza.
:D

Damn, I was just trying to help Razor out with an explanation for the word to his wife and here you come feeling all embarassed about my prowess over you in still hockey and chess that you feel the need to belittle my assistance. Talk about sore losers.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
RedEagle said:

Happy Belated 4th to you Razor!

Apparently everyone reported on time. But I thought Peixe was signed for Benfica? :confused: The Roger/ZZ saga has begun with both players being very PC about their status on the team. Roger claims he's a maturer player, and ZZ claims Roger will only help Benfica. Who here thinks we're not going to have any problems with these two throughout the season?

As for the word "pedalinha"...it comes from the word "pedal". It's the same in english. "Pedalinha" is a cute way of saying a quick warm-up game.
Peixe is there ;)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flotown said:

Peixe is there ;)
I'm thinking #6? What about Helder...I heard his name pop up again a couple of weeks ago. Anybody heard?

PS - thanks for the vocab lesson Red; no wonder Mrs. R couldn't understand me, I'm not only crappy at speaking Portuguese but I'm apparently dyslexic to boot! ("pedalinha" vs. "peladinha") The woman's truly a saint.

PPS - who else wishes 'VIP' were on more than once a week?

·
International
5,629 Posts
I didn't know Peixe was there. Cristiano isn't and I thought he was signed.

As for Helder I read today that he was interested in staying in Spain.

VIP rules. BTw who also thinks that the chick that host that new game show Top Dog is the second coming? ;)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
RedEagle said:

Damn, I was just trying to help Razor out with an explanation for the word to his wife and here you come feeling all embarassed about my prowess over you in still hockey and chess that you feel the need to belittle my assistance. Talk about sore losers.
I may be a sore loser (which we all know I iz (please take note of the purposely mispelled "is" as a clue of the author's witty use of grammatical incorrect practices to express creative slang)), but I wasn't belittleling your attempt to assist us less verbally inclined, but more so goofing at your amazing inability to recognize obvious parody when clouted by some seemingly new found confidence from some recently accomplished, not so challenging, endeavor.

Of course, Razor is too kind to embarrass ye by telling ye he knew what the term meant, that the parody of the story simply went over yer head... ;)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RedEagle said:
I didn't know Peixe was there. Cristiano isn't and I thought he was signed.

As for Helder I read today that he was interested in staying in Spain.

VIP rules. BTw who also thinks that the chick that host that new game show Top Dog is the second coming? ;)
Yes, yes, yes :) - BTW - have any of you ever seen the original RAIi show that "Dog Eat Dog" (I think that's the name) is adapted from (complete with giant swimming pool)? The Italian show is "Sette Per Uno" and is the greatest guilty pleasure in the history of TV. Think "Dog Eat Dog" with THREE hot chicks (Valeria Mazza of SI fame was actually a co-host a couple of seasons ago), plus a cross between the Solid Gold dancers and the dancing girls from the Ah-nold flick "The Running Man". Gratuitous cheesecake at its best!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here you go Red - this one's for you, buddy:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oops - here you go:

Attachments

·
International
5,629 Posts
Dog Eat Dog...yeah that chick is as fine as a Pila leg-hump. But Razor the link doesn't work.

Now to address Pila's chip (RedEagle) on the shoulder comments.

My comments were directed solely at Razor, who I would hope with the little nugget of linguistic know-how provided, would convince his wife that the word did exist. Parody was not missed but enhanced. Besides if Razor felt that I strayed, he is witty enough to set me in my place without having your inferiority complexes.

Lastly there's no need for you to announce my constant annihilation of you in anything competitive. I don't get anything out of it. My ego is secure enough, it doesn't need announcements of kicking legless puppies for stimulation.

That is all. ;)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
What's the name of that chick on "Wild on E" (or something like that)? She's Brooke something too, ain't she? Man, now that is a piece'a ass.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pila said:
What's the name of that chick on "Wild on E" (or something like that)? She's Brooke something too, ain't she? Man, now that is a piece'a ass.
You're thinking of Brooke Burke. Apparently, the networks are working their way through the babe cycle alphabetically. Can Brooke Burso be far behind?

PS to Red - I fixed it :)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
RedEagle said:
Dog Eat Dog...yeah that chick is as fine as a Pila leg-hump. But Razor the link doesn't work.

Now to address Pila's chip (RedEagle) on the shoulder comments.

My comments were directed solely at Razor, who I would hope with the little nugget of linguistic know-how provided, would convince his wife that the word did exist. Parody was not missed but enhanced. Besides if Razor felt that I strayed, he is witty enough to set me in my place without having your inferiority complexes.

Lastly there's no need for you to announce my constant annihilation of you in anything competitive. I don't get anything out of it. My ego is secure enough, it doesn't need announcements of kicking legless puppies for stimulation.

That is all. ;)
Hey! Dr. Pila merely thinks there's a connection between your infrequent, marginal triumphs and your overzealous propensity to lecture on 4th grade vocabulary (not that I can't use every free lesson I can get, mind you). Perhaps it is just a coincidence, I could be wrong. Of course, as you stated, my perspective could be simply tainted by my own disbelief that I let a less talented competitor beat me from time to time. I'll do a self-psychoanalysis and report back my findings. ;)

I'm back.

Results are inconclusive. I just kept thinking of Brooke's boobies. I'm not sure what that means in respect to this whole losing thingy.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was getting a lecture on 4th grade vocabulary?! Awright! And here I thought I was only at a 1st grade level in Portuguese!

"O que vai no cinema?"
"Enganou-se na estrada."
"Queria uma cerveja."
"Fala 'hubba-hubba'?"
"Futebol Clube de Puss esta merda."

Camoes & Saramago got nuttin' on me!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Razor said:
I was getting a lecture on 4th grade vocabulary?! Awright! And here I thought I was only at a 1st grade level in Portuguese!

"O que vai no cinema?"
"Enganou-se na estrada."
"Queria uma cerveja."
"Fala 'hubba-hubba'?"
"Futebol Clube de Puss esta merda."

Camoes & Saramago got nuttin' on me!
Bwahahahaha:D

Now I can't stop asking, "Fala 'hubba-hubba'?"

1 - 20 of 52 Posts