Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I can't take it anymore. I've read every letter of every word of every article there is about the US-Portugal game tomorrow. I can't take any more hype - play the damn game already!

So - to "cleanse the palate" as it were...it's never too late to play everybody's favorite game: NAME YOUR LINEUP!

Granted, nothing's etched in stone re: who's coming/not, but for the purposes of this discussion, let's make the following assumptions based on what reports we've heard:

IN:

- Feher (stories today have him coming to the Luz on a free transfer
- Roger (back from Brasil, but is he any more mature?)
- Christiano
- Ricardo Rocha

OUT:

- Enke (signed today with Barcelona)
- Caneira (kills me to say, but I don't see him staying as we stand today)
- Mantorras*
- Jankauskaus
- Julio Cesar

STAYING:

- Simao
- Zahovic
- Drulovic
- Tiago
- JMP
- Moreira
- Cabral
- Petit
- Carlitos
- Miguel
- Sokota
- Diogo Luis

*Note - Mantorras is rumored to be gone, but you've got to think that Veira will be replacing him with another striker (Feher's not a pure striker). I still think Nuno might return (barring a 12 goal-World Cup which sends his salary demands through the roof), but if he doesn't, then we'll make the assumption that they will sign some striker which they expect to start for the purposes of this lineup exercise*

Let's Roll...

GK: Moreira
D: Petit, JMP, Rocha, Cabral (he can play the left, too)
DM: Tiago, Aguiar/Christiano
M: Roger, Zahovic, Simao
F: *Nuno Gomes

Right off the bat, it seems that we are sorely lacking in the back with an inexperienced keeper and not what I'd rate as a top-notch back line. Put Caneira back in the equation and it's a whole different ball game, but for now, I'd say that's the number one need this offseason.

For a change, it would appear that there are a number of options offensively with Roger, Zahovic, Simao, Drulovic, Miguel, Feher, and Striker X (plus Sokota off the bench).

Thoughts? Again - this does not accomodate for the deals that might take place after the World Cup is complete.

One other note - with Drulovic becoming a Portuguese citizen this past Spring and Janky's trip north to HammerTown, Benfica has two ex-EU slots open. Any non-EU players (preferrably defenders) catching your eye so far in Korea/Japan? Geremi anyone?

·
International
5,629 Posts
Where are Mantorras and Ednilson going?

Why can't we play Ribeiro on the left? I know I sound like a broken record.

Miguel deserves a starting spot.

Here's who I like.

Moreira

Armando-JMP-Rocha-Ribeiro
Miguel-Ednilson-Tiago-Simao
-------ZZ/Roger---------
-------Mantorras/Feher/Sokota

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mantorras: I think he needs another year of seasoning (if not more), but during the junket to Angola with Benfica after the season, his quotes were to the effect of, "I wish I could stay, but it's out of my hands" and "I can't say that I'll be here next year". No specifics as to his ultimate destination, but you got the definite feeling that he was told that he most likely wouldn't be here next year.

Ednilson: Red - you and I have been President and Vice-President of this guy's fan club since he came over from Roma; and we both scratched our heads most of last season as to why he didn't play more regularly. I'd love to see him stay, but all signs point to Benfica trying to deal him towards the end of last season. Hope I'm wrong (still should've included him on one of the "in", "out" or "staying" lists though...my bad).

Jorge Ribeiro - talent-wise, he could definitely start; problem is, he appears to have earned a pretty permanent spot in Jesualdo's doghouse. Now that Jesualdo's staying on at least another season (barring any unforseen resignation/firing), I don't know if he'll be given a chance to redeem himself or not.

I like your inclusion of Armando (actually, who I meant to type instead of "Petit"???) at that slot. I was down on his Benfica debut, but he really showed something down the stretch.

Other questions:

- how do you handle two egos at the same position in Zahovic and Roger?
- Can Roger play a wing? Would you start him over Miguel? Does Miguel have the physical makeup to play 90 minutes on a wing? Or would he need to if you resigned yourself to using Drulovic as a 30-minute kind of player?

·
International
5,629 Posts
Mantorras may want to leave this summer, but it will be a financial decision, and right now he's not worth 1/2 of his potential. I wouldn't sell him yet.

I didn't know about them moving Ednilson. I love this player. It would be ashame if they got rid of him. I think they should maintain their youth. Tiago, Ednilson, Rocha, Ribeiro, Miguel, and Mantorras are the future.

As far as Ribeiro, he's getting burned because of his brother Maniche. But the guy is phenomenal every time I see him play for the under-21 squad. This guy will be the future left back for the Portuguese national team, and Benfica is killing him.

ZZ/Roger, should work. If ZZ doesn't bring it, bench him and start Roger or vice versa. Roger doesn't like to play the wing, besides that Miguel had his coming out party this season. He was impressive after Simao went down. He's earned a start. Drulo is a bench player.

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Razor said:
Mantorras: I think he needs another year of seasoning (if not more), but during the junket to Angola with Benfica after the season, his quotes were to the effect of, "I wish I could stay, but it's out of my hands" and "I can't say that I'll be here next year". No specifics as to his ultimate destination, but you got the definite feeling that he was told that he most likely wouldn't be here next year.
Sounds just like what Joao Tomas was saying after the exhibition game in Foxboro last year.:(

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AXP103 said:

Sounds just like what Joao Tomas was saying after the exhibition game in Foxboro last year.:(
Exactly like what JT said last year.

M

·
0 Posts
We have apparently signed Paolo Ferreira or someone like that from Vitoria Seubal! Who the Petit you put on your staying list Razor?

·
Registered
642 Posts
manuel said:
We have apparently signed Paolo Ferreira or someone like that from Vitoria Seubal! Who the Petit you put on your staying list Razor?
RAZOR the man meant Armando, I too was wondering if WE had signed Petit without anyone knowin it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Are you insane...

If ZZ doesn't bring it, bench him and start Roger or vice
versa.

Bench Zahovic? The princess that he is he would probably accuse Roger of buying off the coach and the portugeese president of being a war criminal...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hhhmmm....not sure i agree with feher not sure about feher being a pure striker as when he was at braga he was the best striker in the league at the time untill his season was disrupted by injury. Feher would be the perfect striker within the available limits.

As for mantorras, we should have sold him when we got all those silly money bids for him, however, including we dont play him as an out and out striker he could have a very good season, especially with the AM's we have. However if we did get a big money offer for mantorras and could use that money to buy a very good striker, it could be very beneficial.

As for other sectors, i dont think we need to change that much.....maybe quim in goal if morreira does not improve but thats about it!!

I also agree with you Red, for a second time on ribeiro!!!! Although his temperament is questionable, he obviously posseses the ability!!

M

·
0 Posts
AHHHHH Armando!

Still when i was in POrtugal 2 years ago a news paper story said we had signed someone called Petit from Braga only i think he was Black. Does anyone esle know of this?

·
Registered
642 Posts
It seems like were stockpiling defenders for next season

Peixe - basically signed
Cristiano - basically signed
Helder- nearly signed
Sergi - weve made an offer for him
Esquerdinha - rumours were trying to get him

Realistically though were obviously not going to sign them all and their just some options, basically were looking for a solution on the left side of defence plus some...

but

dont we need to sign up a decent striker - that'l come later i guess - who will be the surprise. Not some old fogy i hope

ps. our enemies porko are looking particularly strong for next season - dammit

did they get De La Pena or not?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Well then News is - WE ARE TRYING TO GET NUNO GOMES (Razor was on the mark) if we get him or not is a different story.

Cristiano is a definite, signed for four years, we gave them Diogo Luis to keep and loaned them Toni.

Bossios out of are hair - gone back to Argentina (he had high wages we cant afford on ****e like him)

Helder is very close to signing

Sabry and SLB have reached an agreement over monies owed to him

Weve let some smaller names go - Paulo Lopes,Vítor Madeira, Hélder Costa and Hugo Henrique

Geraldo will be part of the main squad next season - i think this guys got a good future in front of him

Main thing is NUNO GOMES - NEEDS TO COME BACK HOME TO GET HIS CAREER BACK ON TRACK

IM SALIVATING AT THE THOUGHT OF NUNO GOMES, SIMAO SABROSA, MANTORRAS, AND ROGER (IM EXPECTIN BIG THINGS FROM HIM THIS TIME) IN OUR ATTACK - YES

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah but we need more strength over all. Some new defenders i believer will be needed. Is Geraldo good?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I hope we'll get our targets this time.
The last year to me it looked like we were giving ideas of targets to other club (Jardel, Derlei, Mourinho, DE LA PENA!!! [well, read yesterday somewhere Porko got him] :( :fero: )

I just wonder if our targets chose Porto or Sporting. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I've read these days that we are trying to get some guy named Anderson from Alverca and Marco Ferreira from Setubal.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
I have three words for you, Bier:

Smoke screen.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
That's two words :googly: ... but I did not get their meaning. :confused:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts