Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2-1 after the first leg. Garay, Tevez, and Lima scored. Lima may have been MOM even though he was a sub. Made a big contribution and set up Cavaleiro for a potential 3rd.

Next week in Turin. Should be electric with Juve playing for a potential final at their stadium. Next week. Same time, same bat channel.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
given our absences tonight, it is really a good result, a win is a win, and against the italian champion :thmbup:

now we have to keep our ambitions high and look at the 2nd leg with the aim to win in torino!

our magician Gaitan should be back, i think Fejsa aswell, and of course we have to play Lima from the start.....

i didnt undertsand JJ's option , but at least he did well all his 3 subs

Força Benfica!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Deserved victory for Benfica, they were much better especially in the first half and i'm pleased that they have won.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
No André Gomes next week, but of we get Feijão and Gaítan back, Ruben Amorim can serve as our ace in the hole if we need hold the score line. We could really have used Salvio/Gaitan today. Dang cursed injury bug.

Luizao, Garay and Sequeira were solid. Enzo was his usual tireless self. Maxi has lost a step. I've been in denial, but it's starting to look obvious, or he's dragging a nagging injury. I hope it's the latter.

We're so much better with Feijão in the line up and allow both Enzo and Gaitan loose. It's magical when those two aren't anchored to holding midfield duties. That's really when Rodrigo and Markovic get to show off inside the box with give and goes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Sound game. The away goal hurts though. Juve will come out strong at home. Having Gaitan back in the line up is huge for us. If Juve comes out strong offensively, it will also make them more vulnerable to the counter attack. Benfica loves to run. Hopefully for the return match, JJ will not start Cardozo. Too dam slow for a counter attacking team.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Sound game. The away goal hurts though. Juve will come out strong at home. Having Gaitan back in the line up is huge for us. If Juve comes out strong offensively, it will also make them more vulnerable to the counter attack. Benfica loves to run. Hopefully for the return match, JJ will not start Cardozo. Too dam slow for a counter attacking team.
Having Gaitan back WILL be huge. But we will still miss Salvio. They'll pressure high, this is where Salvio's (in addition to Rodrigo's) speed would have come very handy. Markovic is quick, but he doesn't have Salvio's sprint. Would have felt much better about the second leg if we hadn't lost Salvio too. But I'm done crying over hard luck. Time to tighten the chin straps and kick and claw out a draw.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Having Gaitan back WILL be huge. But we will still miss Salvio. They'll pressure high, this is where Salvio's (in addition to Rodrigo's) speed would have come very handy. Markovic is quick, but he doesn't have Salvio's sprint. Would have felt much better about the second leg if we hadn't lost Salvio too. But I'm done crying over hard luck. Time to tighten the chin straps and kick and claw out a draw.
Agreed. All I ask is that JJ set up the best players available. Dont save players for Porto games. Give it all you have.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Agreed. Risk no one, put the cheerleading squad out there. Maybe they'll go into penalties.

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You start sitting Cardozo if you think at 30 he's showing strong signs he's done (Especially since these are likely his final days with the club).
However, if you think this has been a season of poor form due to a wasted preseason, followed by a back issue, then I don't totally get freezing him out. If it's form, then he can still reward JJ for giving him regular playing time in the side competitions. Rodrigo and Lima are in form, but it's not optimal to have them play every game until the finish.

It's pretty arbitrary to declare a league cup match as irrelevant, but a Europa match vs Juve as needing the best 11. Both are secondary competitions. Players in all sports want consistency. The Porto match doesn't matter until the kickoff and then it becomes the biggest thing ever. If they allow Porto to win this weekend by fielding a weak side, he and the club will eat shit for not giving their best to win a domestic treble.

Cardozo is one of the highest paid players on the team and has been getting his playing time in this cup (Just like Artur). If he sat those guys for any reason other than injury, that would have been a problem.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
salvio is not crucial, as we spent most of the season without him. Gaitan, given his current form, is. Also LIma starting is essential

as for the Cup league game, its a must win game , i dont care what they say, it is an important cup yes, and i want it. However in this one i would play cardozo, and would rest some key players (bench) at least at the beginning of the game . Its a chance for other players to put out their best , give djuricic a chance, cavaleiro and others

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
Juventus has made a complaint to the UEFA regarding Enzo Perez, because according to them he fouled one of their players in the box in the 1st leg:D

so now Benfica is also replying with a complaint regarding that same player, for a foul commited over Enzo, before his so called foul

seriously, does Juve need to do this? are they that scared of our team? pathetic

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Petty tactics to distract. It's a big game with a lot on the line, clubs will try to use any leverage they can think of.

In the end, this won't mean shit. Enzo will play, and have his helmet on like always.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
yes lol apparently uefa has aproved of some kind of device to be used on his arm...regardless, i hope we dont have the need to play him

·
Registered
928 Posts
JJ going with a 4-2-3-1 . Interesting. JJ wants to put 5 mids to counter the 5 mids that Juve have in their formation. I get that. I just think that the 4-2-3-1 is very defensive and Benfica are better suited to play an attacking/counter attacking game. This more defensive formation may play into Juve plans to want to be more aggressive this game. That worries me. Then again, maybe JJ is right and will prove me wrong. Interesting counter by JJ tough.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
we started well, and i really liked tyhe starting line up, but since 30m we've been really pressed by juve, and they could have scored a couple times

luisão's save on goal was the limit

we need to come with a fresh attitude for the 2nd half, and play with confidence, use the wings ffs

play as we know how to play, we are being too shy,

players wise, markovic is having a terrible terrible game, while ruben amorim has been massive and luisão...well he just saved our ass

FORÇA BENFICA!!! come on, lets score and win this game!!!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts