Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sportinguista
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benfica tied at home against Arouca in the league today

The were actually losing 1-2 in Estadio da Luz

but the ref of course made an "honest mistake" in calling a penalty (blatant dive/no contacT)

and Lima levelled 2-2

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
we played terribly against arouca, no inspiration and no real effort until the game was really close to the end, when we actually missed a couple goal opportunities, helas.

the penalty was a true call imo, although i wish Sulejmani had had the chance of shooting instead , as it was a certain goal and Lima almost failed to score the penalty....

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
its amazing how we've managed to gather these many points so far, considering our poor performances this season....

JJ is to blame for sure, but i doubt Luis Filipe Vieira will fire him

If necessary, i would rather see one of our players being sold in order to pay for JJ's compensation, but i dont see it happening

·
Registered
928 Posts
its amazing how we've managed to gather these many points so far, considering our poor performances this season....

JJ is to blame for sure, but i doubt Luis Filipe Vieira will fire him

If necessary, i would rather see one of our players being sold in order to pay for JJ's compensation, but i dont see it happening
Ya, I dont see it happening either. More likely situation would be JJ resigning at the end of the year. LFV sees him that highly. Why ? Im not sure to be honest.

Saving grace for Benfica is that the other teams have dropped points as well, Sporting have two ties and one loss, Porto have three ties and one loss.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Saving grace for Benfica is that the other teams have dropped points as well, Sporting have two ties and one loss, Porto have three ties and one loss.
You need also to keep in mind against which teams points were lost.

Benfica dropped the following 9 points:
Maritimo (A) 1-2
Sporting (A) 1-1
Belenenses (H) 1-1
Arouca (H) 2-2

Sporting dropped the following 7 points:
Benfica (H) 1-1
Rio Ave (H) 1-1
FC Porto (A) 1-3

FC Porto dropped the following 9 points:
Estoril (A) 2-2
Belenenses (A) 1-1
Nacional (H) 1-1
Académica (A) 0-1

In other words, the only points lost so far by Benfica that are "acceptable" are the 2 dropped in Alvalade. The only more or less expected that Porto lost are those 2 at Estoril. As far as Sporting is concerned it's true that winning the two classics at home is always good but not always crucial, which means that the only real bad points lost are those 2 against Rio Ave.

Even taking into consideration in which games the three teams lost points, Sporting has an advantage.

·
Registered
928 Posts
You need also to keep in mind against which teams points were lost.

Benfica dropped the following 9 points:
Maritimo (A) 1-2
Sporting (A) 1-1
Belenenses (H) 1-1
Arouca (H) 2-2

Sporting dropped the following 7 points:
Benfica (H) 1-1
Rio Ave (H) 1-1
FC Porto (A) 1-3

FC Porto dropped the following 9 points:
Estoril (A) 2-2
Belenenses (A) 1-1
Nacional (H) 1-1
Académica (A) 0-1

In other words, the only points lost so far by Benfica that are "acceptable" are the 2 dropped in Alvalade. The only more or less expected that Porto lost are those 2 at Estoril. As far as Sporting is concerned it's true that winning the two classics at home is always good but not always crucial, which means that the only real bad points lost are those 2 against Rio Ave.

Even taking into consideration in which games the three teams lost points, Sporting has an advantage.
Dont get defensive bud, all Im saying is that Benfica have not played well. Im not discrediting Sporting. The standings are a little misleading. We are actually agreeing with each other.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Dont get defensive bud, all Im saying is that Benfica have not played well. Im not discrediting Sporting. The standings are a little misleading. We are actually agreeing with each other.
Defensive? I just wanted to point out that apart from looking at the actual number of points lost by the three teams it's also good to see what "kind" of points were those. It's just a complement to your post, not a criticism.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts