Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59,034 Posts
hmmm I'd rather see a Neder-Bundesliga.
We help them by dethroning Bayern as Feyenoord'll be able to keep all their academy products and they help us by giving us the revenue which'll help us keep our academy products.

On the short-term, wouldn't mind having the champions of Belgium and Holland meet each other pre-season instead of this Johan Cruijff schaal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Like Wally suggested, I also believe in some sort of bene-cup or pre-season supercup but a Bene-liga is just absurt. For one it will never go through because both fans as board members (of the smaller clubs) will never agree with it. Second, this might sound weird but 6 teams in Belgium will never work.

Allthough Belgium is only a stain on the world map and merely counts 10 million people the cultural differences between certain places - or even provinces - is too big to have 6 clubs. For instance the province of Antwerp; people from De Kempen or Mechelen will never go to Antwerp every week to support a team of an area of which they feel they dont have a bond with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone saw 'Studio Voetbal' at 'Nederland 2' yesterday? They talked a lot about this BeNeLiga, former PSV chairman van Raay and Borst had nice discussions, we all know van Raay is in favour of this, and logically Borst was against ;).

Main reason for Borst not to do this were the cultural differences, not only in general, but especially in football, the Dutch football culture is unique, Belgium could add nothing. We have about 100 trainers working abroad, how many has Belgium?
With that, he thought the Belgium clubs wouldn't higher the level of our current league, perhaps RSCA, Standard and Club would, but Zulte-Waregem, AA Gent?

Then they did a very small research and called the first eleven clubs to give a short and quick opinion. Only Roda JC liked the plan: 'more, and more attractive opponents in their region', Kerkrade is close to Belgium (think about Standard and Genk). All other 10 clubs were against or didn't want to reply, Groningen told: 'we're not waiting for Groningen-AA Gent :D'

Also Borst said it wouldn't give a boost financially, but van Raay didn't agree, but I forgot the details.

---

Personally, I think a kind of Liga with Belgian and Dutch clubs wouldn't be that bad, take the six best Belgian clubs, the other twelve clubs could stay in the Jupiler League, wherefrom the champion can go up for example.

But on the other hand, clubs have their current rivalries, there's no, or not much history, between Belgian and Dutch clubs, so I doubt or it would attract more fans.
It's also doubtable or the level of the league will raise, perhaps a bit, but is it enough to keep and attract better players?
It's all complicated.

On another note, other small countries like the Scandinavian ones (Royal League) and the Irish twins (Setanta Cup) are trying the same, don't know or it helped them though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Knoert said:
unique, Belgium could add nothing. We have about 100 trainers working abroad, how many has Belgium?
With that, he thought the Belgium clubs wouldn't higher the level of our current league, perhaps RSCA, Standard and Club would, but Zulte-Waregem, AA Gent?

Personally, I think a kind of Liga with Belgian and Dutch clubs wouldn't be that bad, take the six best Belgian clubs, the other twelve clubs could stay in the Jupiler League, wherefrom the champion can go up for example.
TBH I think you can hardly call Zulte Waregem a top 5 club. They're a 1 season wonder. Next season they'll be relegation-candidates again. Say what you want but Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Standard, Genk and Gent (new stadium with 20.000 seats will be ready in 2007) would add something to the dutch league. We belgians do watch the dutch league and now as well as you do that there's a huge gap between the dutch top 5 and the rest.

The dutch top 6-12 will barely add anything to the belgian league just as the belgian top 6-12 wont do that to the dutch. IF there would come a bene-liga it's with an equal amount of teams of each country and not 12 from 1 and 6 from another (which is half for a country which has only 1/3 less people living in it).
I'm a fan of one the smaller clubs myself (Antwerp) and it would absurt if our club would be relegated to some sort of 5th rate 2 division while a dutch team of the same or (even less) level would be taken ahead of us.
Like I said it's not so much the population that would be the problem, but the cultural differences and the distances of the region of the the club.

Besides only one walloon club on the highest level? I'll our 4 million wallloon countrymen will laugh about that. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
I think it could work but the main reason would be generating more money and I doubt that this will actually happen. Maybe Groningen isn't interested in Zulte-Waregem, but are they interested in RBC or Excelsior? Ajax-Anderlecht and Feyenoord-Club Brugge to me sounds better than Ajax-NAC or Feyenoord-Heracles. But what would the promotion/relegationsystem look like?

Actually I'd prefer a mixed cup tournament with the Bundesliga and perhaps Belgium. Would be easier to implement and would definately improve our cup tournament.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,800 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
TBH I think you can hardly call Zulte Waregem a top 5 club. They're a 1 season wonder. Next season they'll be relegation-candidates again. Say what you want but Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Standard, Genk and Gent (new stadium with 20.000 seats will be ready in 2007) would add something to the dutch league. We belgians do watch the dutch league and now as well as you do that there's a huge gap between the dutch top 5 and the rest.

The dutch top 6-12 will barely add anything to the belgian league just as the belgian top 6-12 wont do that to the dutch. IF there would come a bene-liga it's with an equal amount of teams of each country and not 12 from 1 and 6 from another (which is half for a country which has only 1/3 less people living in it).
I'm a fan of one the smaller clubs myself (Antwerp) and it would absurt if our club would be relegated to some sort of 5th rate 2 division while a dutch team of the same or (even less) level would be taken ahead of us.
Like I said it's not so much the population that would be the problem, but the cultural differences and the distances of the region of the the club.

Besides only one walloon club on the highest level? I'll our 4 million wallloon countrymen will laugh about that. :rolleyes:
What clubs would you take? tbh i'm not that informed about the Belgian league, so who would you choose? Apart from Club, Anderlecht, Standard, Genk & Gent ofcourse. We all know those are clubs that stand out above the rest. IMO a league has to contain at least 16 clubs. Taking 8 from both, from Holland these clubs should be involved: Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, AZ, Heerenveen, Utrecht, and 2 of FC Twente, Vitesse or Roda JC.
 

·
Fourth Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
Joined
·
2,465 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
For instance the province of Antwerp; people from De Kempen or Mechelen will never go to Antwerp every week to support a team of an area of which they feel they dont have a bond with.
Kamp, let's not use the province Antwerpen as a standard example, shall we :D.

I think it could work out. Anderlecht and Club Brugge fans come from all over the country already, no matter how big the cultural differences.

I know it would be hard to realize, but I'd definately be a fan. As mentioned Anderlecht-AZ or Feyenoord-Club Brugge are a lot more interesting than what we usually get.

Just picture a league with Gent or Genk as relegation candidates instead of La Louvière.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
The Dutch league is pretty much better than the Belgian league. Teams like Vitesse, Heerenveen, FC Twente could easily compete with the 4th-5th-6th ranked teams in the Belgian league. I won't start to compare the Top3 in both countries (meanwhile Top4 in Holland) but the "results" in Europe speak volumes, Feyenoord excluded.

It's more than logical IMO that Van Basten was talking about 12 teams from Holland and 6 from Belgium.

There's no solution (yet) but at least something should be done. It's quite worrysome players leaving Feyenoord, PSV and Ajax to play for all-mighty Birmingham City.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,575 Posts
Rataplan said:
The Dutch league is pretty much better than the Belgian league. Teams like Vitesse, Heerenveen, FC Twente could easily compete with the 4th-5th-6th ranked teams in the Belgian league. I won't start to compare the Top3 in both countries (meanwhile Top4 in Holland) but the "results" in Europe speak volumes, Feyenoord excluded.

It's more than logical IMO that Van Basten was talking about 12 teams from Holland and 6 from Belgium.

.

Stygmata said:
What clubs would you take? tbh i'm not that informed about the Belgian league, so who would you choose? Apart from Club, Anderlecht, Standard, Genk & Gent ofcourse. We all know those are clubs that stand out above the rest. IMO a league has to contain at least 16 clubs. Taking 8 from both, from Holland these clubs should be involved: Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, AZ, Heerenveen, Utrecht, and 2 of FC Twente, Vitesse or Roda JC.
Seriously, I hope I'm not the only one who sees something wrong with a double ammount of clubs from one country compared to the other, when the other is almost the same size and has merely 1/3 population less? :googly:

It's not like Belgium is an economical third world country and the belgian clubs have no chance of fullfilling their area's potential. Afterall isnt that the point of the bene-liga? Smaller clubs like Heracles or zulte-waregem will fall off, neverthemind how strong their current squad is so the bigger clubs can fully develop themselves in the most optimal way.

I'm not too familiar with the inside structure of the dutch clubs.
But personally I'd choose 9 dutch clubs and 7 belgian.
These belgian clubs would be:

- Anderlecht
- Club Brugge
- KRC Genk
- Standard Luik (the belgian top 4)
- KAA Gent
- Antwerp
- a fussion-club between Charleroi, Bergen and Louviere

Allthough I like to state again I'm fully against the idea of bene-liga.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,800 Posts
Kampfschwein said:
Seriously, I hope I'm not the only one who sees something wrong with a double ammount of clubs from one country compared to the other, when the other is almost the same size and has merely 1/3 population less? :googly:

It's not like Belgium is an economical third world country and the belgian clubs have no chance of fullfilling their area's potential. Afterall isnt that the point of the bene-liga? Smaller clubs like Heracles or zulte-waregem will fall off, neverthemind how strong their current squad is so the bigger clubs can fully develop themselves in the most optimal way.

I'm not too familiar with the inside structure of the dutch clubs.
But personally I'd choose 9 dutch clubs and 7 belgian.
These belgian clubs would be:

- Anderlecht
- Club Brugge
- KRC Genk
- Standard Luik (the belgian top 4)
- KAA Gent
- Antwerp
- a fussion-club between Charleroi, Bergen and Louviere

Allthough I like to state again I'm fully against the idea of bene-liga.
No offence intended mate :) I'm just asking what other clubs you would choose apart from the ones mentioned. You gave your answer and i suppose that's a pretty fair reflection of the current status of both leagues. Contrary to you i wouldn't mind seeing a BeNe-Liga. IMO if both Belgian and Dutch football want to advance we should not let emotions get in the way and give this league a chance. Sure it will take a couple of seasons before everybody gets used to it, but in the end we get a stronger league which hopefully will give clubs in Belgium and Holland a chance to grow.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top