Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

You may remember that Bolton went to Dubai earlier this year and Tal Ben-Haim had to stay behind. Obviously this is a touchy subject for every Israeli and if I remember correctly it was covered in the Israeli press and also find its way into English newspapers. I thought it was very poor of Bolton to follow through on the trip but well, it was Fat Sam and Bolton - kinda reinforced his image...

But this time it's West Ham's turn. They left for a week long training camp in Dubai on Monday morning but I can't find any news about Benayoun and Katan. Did the UAE finally come to their senses? Did West Ham leave them behind? Are they in Israel visiting their families?

Is there anything in the Israeli press about this?

Cheers!

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Well rationally they would be left out. Passover is coming up for them.
But in all cases, there is no way an Israeli national, a person who has israel stamped in there passport, or someone who says he was born in Israel can have entry into dubai.

Trust... i learned my lesson before :frown:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, a friend of mine managed to get into Oman. So perhaps if they manage to keep it quiet... stanger things have happend.

Perhaps they are in Israel - but they have an important game against Chelsea on Sunday and Pesach starts next week only. Let's see, perhaps there will be more news about this during the course of the week.

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Heard nothing about it, good question though. Let's see if I can dig up some information...

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Ariksan said:
Well, a friend of mine managed to get into Oman. So perhaps if they manage to keep it quiet... stanger things have happend.

Perhaps they are in Israel - but they have an important game against Chelsea on Sunday and Pesach starts next week only. Let's see, perhaps there will be more news about this during the course of the week.

Oman has some relations with israel. So its not that bad..
But the UAE is the one who really makes it hard. There is only what? 2.5 Million people in the UAE?
so a good 500,000 are Emirates and the rest are Persian, Iraqi, Saudi and yes...Palestinian...so they would lobby against letting Israelis in..

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
liverpool4ever said:
Found this thread by coincidence.

Would find it rather weird that the whole Bolton team made it to Dubai without any fuss made by the local media maybe the reason is the Israeli players?

I think after the Rangers and Chelsea came there and you guys gave them a hard time for having players who played in Israel and who travelled to Israel.....

Sheik can abolish anything he wants. He put 14 million to bring them to Dubai, he would pay another 14 million to lobby to get that no foreigners with stampped israeli passport off from the government

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I hope the UAE let them in, to be honest i never saw the UAE as an enemy of Israel until I heard the Ben-Haim instead and realized that relations might not really exist between Israel and UAE.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
ירוק OLE! said:
I hope the UAE let them in, to be honest i never saw the UAE as an enemy of Israel until I heard the Ben-Haim instead and realized that relations might not really exist between Israel and UAE.

UAE is an arab and islamic state. Its not like we have to go an attack one another to be enemies. They want to protest and one of the ways to protest is to see that ALL JEWS are no different.

We dont border the UAE, and we dont have nothing to do with the UAE, but somehow down the line they agreed to the 3 No's against israel in Khartoum back in 65. So let it be....

I also read that in Malaysia they dont allow Serbians in the country...
any serbians can confirm that?

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Kappa21 said:
UAE is an arab and islamic state. Its not like we have to go an attack one another to be enemies. They want to protest and one of the ways to protest is to see that ALL JEWS are no different.

We dont border the UAE, and we dont have nothing to do with the UAE, but somehow down the line they agreed to the 3 No's against israel in Khartoum back in 65. So let it be....

I also read that in Malaysia they dont allow Serbians in the country...
any serbians can confirm that?
Not sure about the Serbian ban, because I recall one former colleague who might have been from Serbia (Not 100% sure though)

Someone paid 14M to bring Bolton to Dubai? :googly:
Any friendly matches to be played here or something? That's a big amount even if it was in UAE Dirhams

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out Yossi and Katan are in Spain. Here is an email (courtesy of KUMB.com) of Paul Aldridge, West Ham's managing director.

Hi xxxx,

Many thanks for your kind e-mail.

The trip to Dubai has been planned in principal from very early in the
season. Once a date was agreed for the trip we discussed the destination
with Yossi and Yaniv and although they did not wish to travel with the
squad they were insistent that the plans were not altered.

We were keen to ensure that the benefit we believe the squad will gain
from the break was enjoyed by all the players. We therefore arranged a
similar break for these two players in Spain, they have also had the
advantage of being able to be with their young family.

We all believe that this trip will be an excellent springboard for the
important games that are coming up before the end of the season and a
further chance for the squad to bond before the start of next seasons
campaign.

I am happy for you to pass on this information to any interested
supporters.

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Good job, looks like you have a future as sports journalist. :) Nice of Alridge to give you an answer, too.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
liverpool4ever said:
Not sure about the Serbian ban, because I recall one former colleague who might have been from Serbia (Not 100% sure though)

Someone paid 14M to bring Bolton to Dubai? :googly:
Any friendly matches to be played here or something? That's a big amount even if it was in UAE Dirhams

Well, the Dubaiers are probably paying something. I just threw out 14 million. Could even be 20 million. Im not sure... but for Rangers and Chelsea that came to the UAE. they forked out some sort of amount for having them stay for a week or so... :) you guys are nice guys, really..

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Good stuff Arikson :)

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Kappa21 said:
Well, the Dubaiers are probably paying something. I just threw out 14 million. Could even be 20 million. Im not sure... but for Rangers and Chelsea that came to the UAE. they forked out some sort of amount for having them stay for a week or so... :) you guys are nice guys, really..
They brought Chelski and won't allow Ben-Haim to come over??? I'm sure they know that Chelsea is owned by a Jew.....so whats the deal with this? By the way has Unted every gone to UAE?

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
ירוק OLE! said:
They brought Chelski and won't allow Ben-Haim to come over??? I'm sure they know that Chelsea is owned by a Jew.....so whats the deal with this? By the way has Unted every gone to UAE?

There very aware of this.
And if ytou didnt realize, Israel Tourism signed a contract with Arsenal to have promo on the stadium.... If that is the case, it will be on the Emirate stadium which is owned by the UAE...so these thigns go back and forth...

personally, i know that the stamp issue is being low. The only way to find out if he/she been to that place is to actually flip threw the whole thing....
Now, in a place where u want to have 14 million visitors..flipping threw 50 pages to find out if there is a "CUSTOMS ISRAEL" stamped on it, is rather...stupid :)

plus Roman has a few passports... and if he had one, he coudl have asked for that special paper they give you so they wont stamp your passport

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
So if all these small links like Arsenal, and Chelsea which have things to do with Israel are still having business with UAE then why won't they let us in? I'm just saying all this because i hope that one day i can go to the UAE, it looks like a really nice place

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
ירוק OLE! said:
So if all these small links like Arsenal, and Chelsea which have things to do with Israel are still having business with UAE then why won't they let us in? I'm just saying all this because i hope that one day i can go to the UAE, it looks like a really nice place

You have the understand the arab mentality and the arab perspective first.
But then again, why go to Dubai?
You talk to Gulf Arab's and they'll tell you differently.... one hates the other there.. Bahrain hates qatar, qatar hates kuwait, kuwait hates the emirates and everyone hates the saudis....

Frankly, since Kuwait was liberated in 1991 and they dont like PLO that much, you think they would be the first to follow Egypts idea and open relations with israel.
Wrong again!! they were hestiant because they're best friend was Syria...

so you get the picture

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Kappa21 said:
You have the understand the arab mentality and the arab perspective first.
But then again, why go to Dubai?
You talk to Gulf Arab's and they'll tell you differently.... one hates the other there.. Bahrain hates qatar, qatar hates kuwait, kuwait hates the emirates and everyone hates the saudis....

Frankly, since Kuwait was liberated in 1991 and they dont like PLO that much, you think they would be the first to follow Egypts idea and open relations with israel.
Wrong again!! they were hestiant because they're best friend was Syria...

so you get the picture
yea...all politics

1 - 20 of 20 Posts