Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benarbia, captain of French club Paris St Germain, finally agreed last month to play for Algeria, the country where his parents were born, after effectively giving up hope of ever being called up by France where he was born.
------------------------------------------------------------

It's strange Benarbia was never selected for France. If you ask me he's way better than Djorkajev or Micoud.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Even though this post is from 2000 (I was digging in the crates), France will never select an Algerian-born player in its national team, no matter how good he might be. Benarbia is born in Oran, so it rules him out of being selected, even though he was the top player in Ligue 1 and could have represented France (French nationality).

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Why? Isn't Zidane of Algerian origin? I know that he wasn't born there but i principal he still is from there. Why just Algeria anyway? Ibrahim Bâ and Patrick Vieira were born in Dakar, Senegal and both play/ed for France. The point is that they are from the continent of Africa and maybe the coach at the time maynot felt they needed him.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It has to do with France's history with Algeria! The colonial power would never let it happen that an Algerian-born player would wear Les Tricolores.

·
Registered
19,837 Posts
If i don't want to turn this to a political thread : What others players born in Algeria who have lived in France long enough could you name, and deserve a spot with the French NT ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts