Xtratime Community banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
The sad truth is that money talks ... the Championship's expenditure in the previous transfer window eclipsed that of the Belgian and Dutch leagues combined. 1 club from the Qatari league has even outperformed all the clubs from either of our leagues (Al Arabi, the 18th biggest spender this summer, is also paying wages that are at least 3x higher than those paid by e.g. Standard or Club).

The Dutch and Belgian leagues are competitive up to a point ... but how long before Depay gets bored and decides he needs a bigger challenge? The age of talents moving abroad keeps dropping ... I'm confident that mainly EPL clubs will keep coming for more and more talents that used to be part of Ajax's, Anderlecht's, PSV's, Standard's backyard ... but do you also want see our young talents move to Portuguese, Turkish, Russian, Qatari, Championship clubs ... educating players for the top 5 leagues is one thing, educating them for leagues you're supposed to be able to compete with is hard to stomach ... still if you want to offer our talents reasons to stay, the BeNe League will have the biggest impact.

Every year that we postpone the BeNe League, we lose ground and our clubs will only become less attractive to join (for local and foreign talents) ... also what happens when we're not the first to merge/increase our market to 28M people ... another (merged) league that jumps ahead of us? The BeNe League should easily overtake Portugal ... where some clubs struggle to attract 2 - 3K fans.

PS is it true that De Boer had to replace Blind with Serero because he couldn't convince a quality replacement to move to the Eredivisie? Scouting (foreign) talents that can add value to a squad has become harder in Belgium and it seems the the Eredivisie clubs share this problem.
Nicely written. This is the sad truth. However whilst I don't know fully the strength of the Belgian teams, there does at least seem to be a (small) difference in class between the Dutch teams and the Belgian teams. Does that figure on transfer fees also include the Ross McCormack deal? :pp If that wasn't in the figure it could be a lot closer.
The BeNe League would be very interesting but I don't think many fans within the two countries would approve.
But as my step-dad once told me, everything goes in cycles. Everything could completely change and Dutch and/or Belgian football could rise.

As for the Blind replacement, Ajax brought in Niki Zimling on loan. The league isn't unattractive but the lack of money offered is.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Nicely written. This is the sad truth. However whilst I don't know fully the strength of the Belgian teams, there does at least seem to be a (small) difference in class between the Dutch teams and the Belgian teams. Does that figure on transfer fees also include the Ross McCormack deal? :pp If that wasn't in the figure it could be a lot closer.
The BeNe League would be very interesting but I don't think many fans within the two countries would approve.
But as my step-dad once told me, everything goes in cycles. Everything could completely change and Dutch and/or Belgian football could rise.

As for the Blind replacement, Ajax brought in Niki Zimling on loan. The league isn't unattractive but the lack of money offered is.
Ajax has been breaking revenue records while spending very little ... I doubt that they lack money ... e.g. De Boer said that he could pay 10 - 30M, yet he couldn't convince quality players to move to the Eredivisie. So far "flipping" players has proven lucrative, e.g. 28M in total for Suarez, but do you feel it's becoming harder to do? More importantly, at least for us Belgians, will we still see Belgian talents develop in the Eredivisie? Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Alderweireld, Mertens, Chadli, Poco, Dembele ... even Maarten Martens (seeing that you're an AZ fan) ... Bakkali seems to be the last of the Belg-hicans.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Ajax has been breaking revenue records while spending very little ... I doubt that they lack money ... e.g. De Boer said that he could pay 10 - 30M, yet he couldn't convince quality players to move to the Eredivisie. So far "flipping" players has proven lucrative, e.g. 28M in total for Suarez, but do you feel it's becoming harder to do? More importantly, at least for us Belgians, will we still see Belgian talents develop in the Eredivisie? Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Alderweireld, Mertens, Chadli, Poco, Dembele ... even Maarten Martens (seeing that you're an AZ fan) ... Bakkali seems to be the last of the Belg-hicans.
Of course they don't lack money. It makes you wonder what Ajax are sitting on, are some fireworks meant to come out of all of this money someday?

Again. Cycles. Before that crop of Eredivisie Belgians I can't think of any that are now regulars in the team. Perhaps there'll be one or two more in the future.

·
Registered
59,073 Posts
Maybe Ajax want to expand the Amsterdam ArenA and pay it out of their own pocket?

Otherwise I can't think of what they want to do except save endlessly.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
I think with Vadis and Vossen it's more a step in the right direction for them. There's always the possibility of promotion to the EPL or if they succeed in the championship, they could get a transfer to a premiership club, those routes have worked for players like Jedinak, Speroni, Bolasie, Emnes, Rangel etc.

Championship clubs have bought more medium name players than I've ever seen this summer, really. Vadis, Vossen, Bruno Ecule Manga, Matej Vydra again, Igor Vetokele, Javi Guerra, Heurelho Gomes, Johann Gudmundsson, Tim Hoogland, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Juan Carlos Paredes, Emilio Nsue, Carlos Cuéllar, Adrián Colunga, Casper Sloth, Adryan, Andy Delort, William Kvist and others.

Add that to foreign players already there and the fact that a lot of good British players play at that level because of the amount of foreign players in the premiership and you have a pretty high standard league.

I would say that Anderlecht, Zulte, Brugge and Standard aside, it probably is a higher standard than the Juliper tbh.

·
Registered
59,073 Posts
Yeah, the Championship can't be scoffed at, except for Blackpool with their Nile Ranger.

Ikechi Anya, what a nice story btw. I had never heard of him before. Nigerian scientist dad, Romanian mum, born and raised in Scotland and scores for Scotland against Germany.

·
Banned
863 Posts
U21 ... well more time for fun stuff without being banned afterwards :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Obbi Oulare (FC Bruges, 18 years, 1m96, 96 kg)

Made a lot of impression today in the first match he started. Remember that name!

·
Banned
863 Posts

·
Registered
59,073 Posts
Another one for Vitesse :doh:

·
Banned
863 Posts
@White Rabbit ... what are your thoughts on Andreas Pereira? To me it seems that he left PSV because he fell for Man Utd's courtship ... similar to how Anderlecht gets raided and loses the likes of Januzaj, Charly Musonda Jr., Bossaerts, etc. (TBF Anderlecht raids other clubs too).

This season Pereira is edging closer to his EPL debut (so far he has made the squad twice) ... he used to be part of Belgian youth teams but Brazil came calling ... he has changed his mind a couple of times already (reeks of opportunism) ... worse than the Bakkali saga ... i.e. when Bakkali acted childishly before he joined our senior NT (attributing that episode to his young age and entourage) ... so far I view Mangala as a much bigger loss (he and Kompany were great against Chelsea ... less so in the most recent tie) ... hopefully Mangala's brother (Anderlecht/Belgium U17) develops into an even better player.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I don't watch the youth categories so i don't really know much about him.

Dutch clubs always get raided by EPL clubs for youth players.

We are yet to see one of these guys become a big success though. Tim Krul is probably as good as it gets.

·
Registered
169 Posts
3qurZ6a8BnM&&hd=1&autoplay=1&fs=1

Looks like there is still a lot of talent in our youth teams!

Beautiful goals by Tielemans and Raman. :shades:

·
Banned
863 Posts
Michy makes it crystal ... born in Belgium, grew up in Belgium and received his (football) education in Belgium ... when an opportunity to join the Red Devils (as a full international) presents itself, he wants to keep playing for Belgium :wee:

·
Banned
863 Posts
Besides Michy ... Ibenge (manager of the Congolese NT) is also looking at:

- Cavanda ... didn't join Angola last year as he was hoping to join Belgium ... he'll join Congo now for a training camp + (non-binding) friendly
- Mpoku ... he'll also join Congo for a training camp + (non-binding) friendly
- De Pauw, Mujangi Bia, Kabasele, Jordan Lukaku, Leya Iseka (Michy's brother) and Tielemans won't go but Ibenge will keep track of them

Congo could very well release another list with 100+ names as they did before AFCON

·
Banned
863 Posts
Mpoku will join Congo.

·
Banned
863 Posts
Bakkali is back

·
Banned
863 Posts
Denayer joins Galatasaray (on loan) ... Wolfsburg spends some of their KDB money on Azzaoui.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts