Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sporting 2
Beira Mar 1

Courtesy of 2 fantastic Andre Cruz free kick goal, one in each half!!!! Absolutely superb goals. The first one was top corner, hit the bar, and went in. The second was deflected off the wall slightly, but still went top corner.

However, other than that, I was not too impressed with our play.

1) We need a Keeper!!!! Tiago was horrendous :rolleyes: . He was terrible coming off his line all day, and because of that, he was fully responsible for the Beira Mar goal.

2) The Defense was ok; Babb continues to be a rock. Boloni benced Viana in favor of Rui Bento, and one again, the Bento-Bento midfield combo failed to control the game. These guys just don't work well together.

3) Jardel was sorely missing Niculae as he was doubled up all day.

We were kinda lucky to get out of there with 3 points, but it's games like this that separate the Champions from the Pretenders.

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
I just posted my own thread on the game, submitted it and was sent to some stupid error with the database page. So, I back page and my brilliant analysis of the game was gone. This place can be a real pain in the ass. :irritate:

Anyway, I also wasn't very impressed with Sporting. Barbosa is no JVP as a playmaker behind the forwards. I like the guy, but he isn't. Not now, anyway. We'll get killed with that set at Porto. I've always felt Barbosa likes to start his runs from the wing and then come inside or dart back out. He looked uncomfortable in the center role.

Tiago totally botched up that goal and could have allowed another. He made some stupid decisions.

The Bento pairing stinks. Paulo is still good, but Rui doesn't produce. I'd much rather see Viana instead of Rui. It's worked very well in the last month or two. The two trinco set up isn't working. However, with Porto coming up and our offense in a great indentity crisis, I can see Boloni going with two trincos again at Das Antas.

I wonder if we won't go with a one forward set and have JVP, Tello and Quaresma behind him. Kind of a 4-5-1 or rather a 4-2-3-1, with Paulo and Rui/Viana playing the more central mids. Something like that, anway. Tello and Quaresma could always drop back a bit and play advanced wingbacks, if that's even a term. With their speed and crossing, they could provided Jardel with something. IT would almost be like what Man U has played in their CL matches. Ruud Van Nistelrooy is the lone striker, with Beckham, Giggs, Veron, Keane and Scholes behind him. Scholes plays the JVP position.

Anyway, I digress. My point is the options are endless, but the solutions are limited. I just hope Boloni puts a convincing team on the field next weekend.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My man Andre Cruz with 2 goals!

-You's all know what happened the last time Cruz started connecting on his free kicks? Right!.......it was 2000 and we were Champs that year;)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yo Alc!

What's with the new handle?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use Alc at work but I wanted to post from home but forgot my password so I started up Toni Montana!;)

-To be a Champion not only must you be good but you also need some luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts