Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you think being a true supporter of your team means you can defend the inexcuseable? By this, I mean defending things that you know in your heart are not true?

For example,

Chelsea fans saying Drogba doesn't dive.

Arsenal fans denying that they bottled their opportunity to win the league

Real Madrid fans saying they play more attractive football than Barca.

Livepool fans saying that only the results matter.

etc.

EDIT: I removed the Fab quote because this thread was quickly running off at a tangent...

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
(let me add)

Moggi didnt Cheat !

Serie B is more competitive than any league !

----------------------------------------------

Serie A is not important !

Better to be UEFA, so League would be the new Priority!

·
1st Tier Poster
49,985 Posts
Do you think being a true supporter of your team means you can defend the inexcuseable? By this, I mean defending things that you know in your heart are not true?
No, it doesn't. People who do that are hypocrite morons. Who knows, this habit might inflitrate to more important matters in their life like family, relationships, work.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Fabregas is better than Gerrard, you thinking that that is inexcusable as an argument just shows your own bias.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts

·
A true hero
31,421 Posts
Lots of players are better than Gerrard, Gerrard is the most overrated player in England. Arteta is better.

·
Registered
23,432 Posts
Lots of players are better than Gerrard, Gerrard is the most overrated player in England. Arteta is better.
I'm not saying Gerrard is the bomb but Fabregas didn't amaze me... Gerrard atleast has a real fighting spirit

·
Registered
23,831 Posts
Claiming that Eboue is the best rightback in the World is a pretty good sign that there is at least some bias.

Oh, and denying that Recoba is the greatest player of his generation is also a sign of incredible bias. :party:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
There is a difference between saying "Lampard is better than Gerrard" (that is just banter and argueing like you do in a pub) or saying "Serie A is more important than Champions League" (is just a personal opinion) : nothing wrong with that.

What I think is wrong is defending your club when it has violated the ethics of the sport. For example, if my club would ever buy games I don't think I would want to remain a fan (and definitely not if any person involved with the bribing would remain active within the club)

For example : recently Constant Vanden Stock died, one of the most legendary persons in Belgian football. People in the whole country portrayed him as a hero. IMO he was a corrupt man, he has had several stories of corruption hanging over him like a dark shadow, of which 1 has been 100% proven. I think it is hypocrite to ignore that, and I don't understand Anderlecht fans seeing this man as a hero. If it were someone of my favourite clubs where a bribe was proven, I would want the person out of the club immediately or my days of being a fan are over.

There is a difference between defending the corruption of a club for the sole sake of "I am a fan" (that is wrong IMO) or saying a thing like "Gerrard is better than..." (which is either a personal opinion or friendly banter like a discussion in a pub ; nothing wrong with that)

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
What I think is wrong is defending your club when it has violated the ethics of the sport. For example, if my club would ever buy games I don't think I would want to remain a fan (and definitely not if any person involved with the bribing would remain active within the club)

For example : recently Constant Vanden Stock died, one of the most legendary persons in Belgian football. People in the whole country portrayed him as a hero. IMO he was a corrupt man, he has had several stories of corruption hanging over him like a dark shadow, of which 1 has been 100% proven. I think it is hypocrite to ignore that, and I don't understand Anderlecht fans seeing this man as a hero. If it were someone of my favourite clubs where a bribe was proven, I would want the person out of the club immediately or my days of being a fan are over.
"Serie A is more important than Champions League" (is just a personal opinion)

"CVDS is a briber, not the trailblazer of Belgian football in Europe"

You see the resemblance ? :)

If you see what the man meant for us, what he did for Anderlecht, and what he made of that small Belgian club, you can't see him otherwise then a hero being an Anderlecht fan :)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Well, to some extend maybe, but I cannot imagine the Nottingham case can be considered as something acceptable (unless you believe the story of "borrowing 1 million francs")

I don't know, but if it were in my club I'd want the man out of the club from the very minute that the bribe has been proven, regardless of what he has realised for the club. Honestly, I'd rather sink to Division 4 than to win the league with corruption. How can one possibly feel joy and pride when you just know you did nothing to deserve the trophy?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts

·
Registered
11,622 Posts
Cesc is a better CM (short passing, controlling the midfield and tempo) then Gerrard, but apart from them, Gerrard is miles ahead of Cesc.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Claiming that Eboue is the best rightback in the World is a pretty good sign that there is at least some mental illness.
Fixed it for you.:thumbsup:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Cesc is a better CM (short passing, controlling the midfield and tempo) then Gerrard, but apart from them, Gerrard is miles ahead of Cesc.
apart from controlling the midfield and passing? I'd say that is a pretty important part of being a CM, the most important as it goes. :D

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Bwahahahahaha :dielaugh:

I've always said it; Gerrard is an above average utility player.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts