Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This can be the thread where we look forward to and discuss the upcoming olympics thread. I'm not what we're doing with regards to the Football (probably a thread in the WFF) but everything else related to Beijing can go in here :happy:

·
Registered
58,967 Posts
Any new sports going to be introduced in it?

Rugby 7s would be good fun for example

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I hope Italy finish top 10 again... if we get 6th like in 1996? it would be amazing, but I very much doubt it :D

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
i dont believe this, the negative campaing against China is on.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so the games are closing in. What are people most looking forward to.

Obviously the main track events are the main draws what with the main 3 of Powell, Bolt and Gay. Next for me it the swimming, be great to see if Hackett can further cement his legendary status.

Also, the olympics are usually the only time I watch Basketball since I enjoy seeing the US dream teams suck.

·
Registered
68,890 Posts
only basketball and handball for me, I will watch the soccer (football) but I can;t really get into that tournament. I have always enjoyed the marathon for some reason as well, maybe it's because in 2004 the leader was pushed down by a lunatic from the crowd :D

·
Super
4,283 Posts
Some events in track and field will be fun. Soccer isn't since countries don't send their best squads, and I don't think basketball will be that much fun either. The Americans will dominate and as long as they don't choke, they will win the gold.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
We should have a sub-forum and a thread for every event, but anyway, I am looking forward to it. I think 3 Italian athletes from the original 347 have been disqualified for doping. 1 of them was our top fencer in the foil event, Baldini, who was predicted Gold in the individual and team foil event. Another is Turrini who was going to swim the 200m medley, but even the final would have been difficult for him, but he was talented and young. Another is a female cyclist I think who was predicted to do well too. I have heard that the Italian officials have done alot to catch which athletes may have been doping. In the past days Filippo Magnini, Italy's 100m freestyle hope and world champion has said that he believes there are still too many athletes (and I presume he means swimmers) out there who have not been caught and that no names will be menioned. (Think he was talking generally, not about Italian athletes)

The bad thing about the Olympics, is afterwards you hear of about 25 medallists who have been caught doping and all kinds of retractions happen and what not. Then you get the excuses, like 1 I heard last time, not sure if it was true, that they were ill and it was in a cough medicine :cool:

·
Registered
863 Posts
I will watch sports that i only watch during the Olympic games, like fencing, swimming, canoeing, judo and athletics. There are always some great battles between France and Italy in fencing.
I will watch handball and tennis too. And maybe BMX, it's always interresting to have new sports include. I hope that rugby will come back, even if it would be problematic because of the calendar.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Bet on Simo Bolelli to win a medal :cool:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
The mens road race in cycling tomorrow. Interest for the Italians with Rebellin, Cunego and Bettini.... back Rebellin each way.

·
Registered
15,402 Posts
The mens road race in cycling tomorrow. Interest for the Italians with Rebellin, Cunego and Bettini.... back Rebellin each way.
Bettini is the most likely Gold medal hope for Italy in the cycling.

This ceremony is getting me excited now.
Fantastic ceremony :star: before the athletes' parade.

To answer your previous question I'm looking forward to the track and field events of course, plus the football and cycling events.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts