Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really sorry to hear he's injured - and a broken foot no less. Some of your opponents might be happy to hear it, since England is certainly weaker without him, but in my view everyone loses.

I may not agree with most of you about how good Beckham is, but he is definately a very talented player and I was really looking forward to seeing him lead England against arch rivals Argentina. Now we may not see it.

To those who saw the tackle, was it cheap? Was it fair? The reports I've read have been pretty contradictory.

In the interim, my sympathies and wishes for a super quick recovery for Mr. Beckham. I can imagine how you guys must feel, for us it would be as if we'd lost Figo.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
The question is, who will be captain of England?

Campbell is the only one who i can think of at the moment, Owen IMO is too young.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Tinto said:
To those who saw the tackle, was it cheap? Was it fair? The reports I've read have been pretty contradictory.
It wasn't fair, it was rough, a yellow card was completely justified for it. But Duscher went for the ball only and it can be considered as an accident that Beckham got injured.
I hope he can make it. Remember when he got an injury from Tristan's tackle, newspapers claimed that he would be out for the WC, but he was actually out for 3 days.

Why not Seaman as the NT captain?:)

D

·
0 Posts
Well it's April 11th today

The F.A reckon that Beckham will be out for Six weeks and will have recovered around 22-24 May. That is if he is lucky.

The game against Argentina is June 7th which is in 8 weeks and two days.
If Beckham is unlucky, then he will be fit two days before the Argentina game.
If Beckham is super unlucky then he won't have recovered at all.

But do England need him that bad?

If Beckham is fit in six or even seven week then that is actually good thing for him, because he wouldn't be so tired for the World Cup and he could give his full 100% but that is if he recovers in six/seven weeks.

But their are other players that can play in his place like Joe Cole, Kieron Dyer, Darren Anderton, Steve Mcmanaman, Danny Murphy, Ray Parlour, Trevor Sinclair or Lee Bowyer if he's allowed.

·
International
9,526 Posts
I"m thinking Dyer on the right, if Becks is still recovering, or attempting to attain match fitness. We're not too badly off for wingers. But then, did Sven have other plans for him. Theres beem all this talk of moving him inside, maybe this was the stage he'd achieve success in the position, on. A harley street surgeon on the news said he'd be back in plenty of time for the world cup. So maybe we'll still get to see.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
I hold my thumbs that he will have a fast revocery...

This is a massive blow for England :(

About the captain Issue, in my eyes Campbell should be it.
Seaman and Ferdinand are also candidates but Campbell is a true captain.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
I am very angry about the tackle on beckham firstly it wasnt necessary, secondly he should of been sent off straight away.
Not only is Beckham a great player, he is also an inspiration to the team and as Joe Cole said today "he's England best player, and i know this sounds 'Cliche' but he give his 100% each game"

If he isnt fit i would bet my money on Sven taking him to Japan just as a moral boost and inspiration.

:depress:

but anyway..i hate depor.....:dazed: :depress:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Russell said:
I am very angry about the tackle on beckham firstly it wasnt necessary, secondly he should of been sent off straight away.
Not only is Beckham a great player, he is also an inspiration to the team and as Joe Cole said today "he's England best player, and i know this sounds 'Cliche' but he give his 100% each game"

i absolutly agree. he deserved a red card, but...
i saw the play many times, even in a slow motion picture and it seems that duscher didnt touch bekcs left foot. anyway he should been sent off.
and i agree that beck is an inspiration to his team mates, and that he gives everything for his national team, thats invaluable.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I have to disagree on the severity of the tackle. The defender had to go for it 100% and he commited a foul, Becks being hurt so badly was a freak accident. Last week he looked like a man with a broken bone (in agony) but after this one he just seemed a bit shaken. I was genuinely expecting him to get up and rattle home the free kick.

If there was any doubt it was settled by Sir Alex IMHO as he is never slow to voice his disapproval of anything which has an effect on his team or players.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't think the tackle was that bad. I've seen far worse that haven't resulted in injury, it was just unfortunate for Beckham how he landed. As a Liverpool fan i'm very pleased hes injured and as i'm English im a little dissapointed. I don't think its the national disaster some people think it is (mainly the press). We can play Dyer on the right, hes a fantastic winger.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I've read today Sven's statement that he will take Beckham to the WC no matter what:)

Besides, i wonder why did Fergie played him at all?

ManU had two away goals advantage and Beckham was still recovering from the injury. Ok, Keane was injured too, but he could have left Beckham on the bench in the "glass bell" with the sign " break in the case of emergency" rather than playing him as a starter. Like this he risked David's presence both in a ManU for the rest of the season and in the NT. and he lost that bet ...big time....

·
International
9,526 Posts
aca said:
I've read today Sven's statement that he will take Beckham to the WC no matter what:)

Besides, i wonder why did Fergie played him at all?

Like this he risked David's presence both in a ManU for the rest of the season and in the NT. and he lost that bet ...big time....
So you're saying this is somehow Fergies fault? I would suggest that somehow, that reasoning is flawed.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
As much as I hate the England NT, I wish all the best for Becksy & hope for a speedy recovery for him so he can play for England against Argentina. :angel:
But too bad Argentina will still whoop England! :D

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Fred Elliot said:

So you're saying this is somehow Fergies fault? I would suggest that somehow, that reasoning is flawed.
I agree with Fred.
If the manager thinks he "needs" to play that player it is up to him.
Also, this could have happen in any game. It about bad-luck Im afraid :(

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I'm not saying that it was Fergie's fault;)

I just think that Beckham was not a "must" start player that night considering the circumstances...

Ole went in and Deportivo was defeted.....

Thats all:)

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Joe Cole, Kieron Dyer, Darren Anderton, Steve Mcmanaman, Danny Murphy, Ray Parlour, Trevor Sinclair or Lee Bowyer if he's allowed.
We need Dyer on the left i think and use Scholes on the right with Gerrard & Hargreaves in the centre if the worst happens.

Parlour? Sinclair? BOWYER:mad:? Are you mad? They couldn't replace Beckham if thier life depended on it. Joe Cole is just too inexperienced and it really showed in the Italy-England game, i think we should leave him for a few years before placing him the starting 11.

I really hope Campbell is captain if the worst does happen, Rio annoys me, I'd rather see Southgate in the starting 11 than him. :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
hargreves in the middle :eek: no way, if scholes is going to play on the right of perhaps even on the left were he`s played a bit at united this season,then nicky butt and gerrard in the middle with dyer on the right looks the best option to me.
but hopefully becks will be fit and we wont have to worry about all this ****.

and sol for captain.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
REDDEVIL11 said:

and sol for captain.
I think Sven-Göran was going to appoint Sol as captain...now when he's injured he will have to appoint someone else as ass.captain and Sol will never know if he was the ass.captain in Sven's mind :(

·
Registered
579 Posts
I heard a micro-current therapy could speed up Beck's recovery. Does that really work? Is he gonna give a try?

But the biggest worry from his perspective is not whether he can recover just in time, but that England suddenly realize they can still play good football without him.:dazed:

That's what makes his chance for WC even slimmer. Poor Dave:(

D

·
0 Posts
If Beckham doesn't make it to the World Cup, even though I reckon he will. The midfield should be..

RW...Kieron Dyer
MF....Nicky Butt
MF....Steven Gerrard
LW...Paul Scholes

or if he is fit....

RW...David Beckham
MF....Nicky Butt
MF....Steven Gerrard
LW...Paul Scholes

Kieron Dyer might not have impressed, but if he was put on the right wing it would have been a different story.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts