Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LONDON, May 21 (DS) - David Beckham said England's World Cup opener against Sweden will be decisive in assessing their chances for the World Cup trophy, reported The Mirror.
The England skipper commented on the upcoming Sweden match:
"The Sweden game is the most important one for us.
"People are already focusing on the Argentina game, but our performance against Sweden will set the tone for our World Cup. If we can get off to the perfect start by getting a result against Sweden, that will give us a lot of confidence for the next two group games and a great chance of qualifying for the next round.
"The most important thing is making sure we get through the group stage. That's the hardest thing. After that, anything is possible when you get to the knockout stage.
"You have to go into a World Cup believing you can win it, otherwise there's no point in going. We've got some quality players, so we have to be confident."
Meanwhile, Eriksson has another view on the continuing talks over the Sweden clash:
He said: "When we got to Dubai last week I told the players that we cannot afford to be talking about Sweden for three weeks.
"It has to be serious work now but we must not spend all our time thinking about that game in Saitama.
"We all know it's an important game, more important than many others but we have to do our normal football work and do all the other things we have to do.
"If we spend 24 hours a day talking and thinking about Sweden we'll arrive at the game exhausted, especially mentally. What's important is that we have a good laugh and talk about other things. I know it's an extremely important match but it's very dangerous if you go out on to the pitch and are too tense to play football.
"You have to be concentrated on what you're doing. That means that if we have a meeting, we talk about tactics. But it would be wrong for us to be discussing ways of dealing with Freddie Ljungberg and Henrik Larsson every minute for the two or three weeks before the tournament begins."

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
He is trying to come over it ..but in vain....he wanna revenge from Argentina :D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The first match is alwaya the most important......

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
utopia said:
Btw, South Korea just drew 1-1 with England
yeah, a poor performance by south korea, they just drew england. :rolleyes:

;)

seriusly, becks is right, the first match is very important.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
England are without a prayer

I think England will play better in the real matches than they did yesterday against Korea. In the second half, England were totally out of the game. That having been saiod, I cannot see England getting more than a point from their first game against Sweden. Too many of their players will not be match fit and I think the Swedes will overrun them in midfield.

I think Argentina too will defeat England without even breaking sweat and by then they should be out. In the last game, I will be very surprised if Nigeria cannot beat England by at least two goals to nil.

I think this group will not be as close as everybody thought. My personal opinion is that it will be easy qualification for Argentina and Nigeria.

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
Batigold...I should have written 'England just drew with South Korea':embarass: 'South Korea drew with England' kinda makes it look like that South Korea is our main issue of concern and not England:tongue:
ayoakinfe, I admire your optimism:cool: :D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Re: England are without a prayer

ayoakinfe said:
I think England will play better in the real matches than they did yesterday against Korea. In the second half, England were totally out of the game. That having been saiod, I cannot see England getting more than a point from their first game against Sweden. Too many of their players will not be match fit and I think the Swedes will overrun them in midfield.

I think Argentina too will defeat England without even breaking sweat and by then they should be out. In the last game, I will be very surprised if Nigeria cannot beat England by at least two goals to nil.

I think this group will not be as close as everybody thought. My personal opinion is that it will be easy qualification for Argentina and Nigeria.
Very optimistic my friend, hope you are right, i wouldn't mind Nigeria coming up second...

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Who saw the fight between two fo the Swedish team today:D:D It was between Ljungberg and Aston Villa defender:D but at the end the shake hands:howler:

We are hearing so many strange stories from Korea and Japan these days.. Portugal sent one of their playes home because of doping and today Roy Kean has been sent off the Irish team as well:D:D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That Roy Keane thing is very weird...missing a WC because of an argument?, very childish, if you ask me..

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i read he regreted and he wont leave team.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts