Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notced someone called 'Zbigniew' on another forum saying Beckham was in poor form especially in the Real Betis game (where he gave the ball away and Betis scored) and is no longer scoring, making assists and that in the second half of the season getting out of his depth. Someone called 'Real Madrid' said these comments were nonsense. He said you cannot judge Beckham on one game but five.

In the last five games he has been average if not poor. Do you agree? I am concerned that when facing quality opposition we will be overun in midfield like we were last night only winning due to the true galacticos of Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo!

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I think every player in the team has had a bad run this season so to pick out one player is a bit unfair. Form is temporary so I wouldnt worry too much!

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
when Beckham comes up against the midfield's in the latter stages of the UCL he will be out of his depth and brushed up easily like Baraja and Albeida did to him in the Mestalla,in away encounters he will be mauled. ;)

course he is giving plenty of space in Lal Liga especially when playing at home and that suits him.

but Ferguson didn't play him at right midfield for a decade for nothing you know,he is a right sided midfielder and don't forget it :tongue:

T

·
0 Posts
Beckham played pretty good yesterday. I think he is doing fine.

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
Wow, Puskas! He's just come back from an injury and you're already saying he's in bad form? Give us a break, pal. I hope I won't find you as a juror in a Texas court!! :D

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Beckham's playing very well thank you.

I can't believe that some people/media will find absolutely anything to nit pick at! The guy exceeded everyones expectations since his start at Madrid.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Beckham doing bad? All players have their bad times, but Beckham is a great and great he will be. One day Raul is out, the other is Ronaldo, the other it's Zidane, the other it's Figo, you feel me, that's where I want to get, everyone has their good and their bad times, sadly, this time it went to Beckham, but oh well, media starts trying to bring Becks+Madrid down, that's why they get paid for.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Yes form is temporary but Beckham has been out of form or playing not very well since the beginning of the season, except the first 2-3 games. I saw most of the rest and I never saw Beckham play like he did in ManU.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting comments. Fair point he has been injured but he is just a water-carrier for the true greats of Real Madrid. There is no way he can be considered a great yet. I love Real Madrid but I think we should have bought someone else.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Falcão83 said:
I am not Real Madrid fan but I also say that Beckham is not what Real needed. And Becks should have stayed at ManU.
Real should have gotten Mexes IMO.
Well that isnt the topic of discussion isnt it?;)

Beckham ....for all i can say....is doing well in R. Madrid. Even Raul had a few bad patches every season....so far so good for becks...

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
puskas said:
Interesting comments. Fair point he has been injured but he is just a water-carrier for the true greats of Real Madrid. There is no way he can be considered a great yet. I love Real Madrid but I think we should have bought someone else.
My god, Becks has not even been at Real for half a season! I don't think that anyone can become one of the "true greats" in six months, for any team. How can you become a great after 30 or so games???

This post (and this entire thread) is the perfect example of the ridiculous expectations of fans out there.

These are the basic facts:

1. Becks is the top-selling jersey for Real.

Those football fans that say that this is completely unimportant are simply unable to deal with the changing nature of football. It IS important to be marketable. Especially now with clubs starting to fold because of bad money management.

2. Becks did not fall flat on his face.

There were more than a few fans, and you just need to go through the archives to see this, who insisted that Becks could not play outside of England and that he would even have a hard time keeping a rightful place on the first team. Well he's shown he can play. Whether it would have been better that we had a defender is immaterial as that is hardly his fault, that would be Perez's fault.

3. Becks is here to stay.

There will be a time to judge Beckham, but that will not come until years from now. Those people who, already at this moment, insist on making brash statements regarding his overall skill are quite frankly, ignorant and unfair. But Becks is not going anywhere for awhile so his contribution at Real Madrid will eventually be weighed and measured. To judge after 30-odd games though is truly biased.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
puskas said:
In the last five games he has been average if not poor. Do you agree? I am concerned that when facing quality opposition we will be overun in midfield like we were last night only winning due to the true galacticos of Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo!

What do you think?
I think that any day, it's a smarter bet that our midfield will overrun any opposition's midfield than the other way around.

The thing about football is that, for one game, anyone can be better than anyone. Sure, for one game (or more), Sevilla can overrun Madrid. But although they beat Madrid, they are not better than Madrid. What you need to do is play the game of averages and then you'll understand what quality means.

And I don't think that Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo are the only true galacticos. They are merely the ones who are most likely to produce the spectacular plays. Beckham has never been a flashy player.

Come on, playing the long cross is certainly not as stunning as a Figo triple crossover, or a Ronaldo run between two defenders but it is as much a skill as any dribble or shot. And Raul is always hard-pressed to make the tv highlights because he does not have great finishing ability but his positioning and field sense are just as valuable on the pitch as Ronaldo's staggering scoring rate.

In fact, I think it's commendable, the roles that Raul and Beckham play for Real. The team won't function with two attacking midfielders, nor would it be any good if both strikers were waiting by the last defender for outlet passes. It's simply smart football.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Re: Re: Beckham poor form

MAD Fan said:
I think that any day, it's a smarter bet that our midfield will overrun any opposition's midfield than the other way around.

The thing about football is that, for one game, anyone can be better than anyone. Sure, for one game (or more), Sevilla can overrun Madrid. But although they beat Madrid, they are not better than Madrid. What you need to do is play the game of averages and then you'll understand what quality means.

And I don't think that Zidane, Figo and Ronaldo are the only true galacticos. They are merely the ones who are most likely to produce the spectacular plays. Beckham has never been a flashy player.

Come on, playing the long cross is certainly not as stunning as a Figo triple crossover, or a Ronaldo run between two defenders but it is as much a skill as any dribble or shot. And Raul is always hard-pressed to make the tv highlights because he does not have great finishing ability but his positioning and field sense are just as valuable on the pitch as Ronaldo's staggering scoring rate.

In fact, I think it's commendable, the roles that Raul and Beckham play for Real. The team won't function with two attacking midfielders, nor would it be any good if both strikers were waiting by the last defender for outlet passes. It's simply smart football.

Mad Fan, you are truely a breath of fresh air. I always look forward to your post since in my opinion you are always spot on!

I frankly get tired of these post so I usually dont respond but I saw your post and all I can do is shake my head in agreement

I need you to post here more often and in fact you can have my position as FM if you accept it's yours!:D :star:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts