Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Beckham has revealed how being the captain of England is his "ultimate dream."

Alan Shearer's departure had led to speculation over who would be the new skipper, with Tony Adams being the logical choice. However, with him reaching the twilight of his career and becoming increasingly injury-prone, a long-term successor could be manager Kevin Keegan’s best option – and Beckham would relish the challenge.

"I have a great deal of pride when I pull on my England shirt," the midfielder enthused. "But to captain my country would be the ultimate dream for me.

"I have always harboured dreams of captaining the team that I play for, be that Manchester United or England. I can think of no greater honour."

If Keegan were to appoint Beckham, there would be critics who would point to his suspect temperament as a negative factor, but the move could be the jolt that the supremely gifted winger needs.

Beckham’s club boss Sir Alex Ferguson made a similar decision when he gave the captain’s armband to Eric Cantona, despite his much publicised problems, and the move appeared to spur the Frenchman to even greater heights.

Whether Keegan is even considering him is unclear, but Beckham would welcome the opportunity, adding: "Just being part of the England set-up and playing for my country is an achievement for me.

"But given the chance, of course I would love to captain my country."

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Captain is probably not gonna be captain for two reasons.

He is a defender and England don't appreciate them and he plays for Totenham while guys like beckham Neville and Martyn play for bigger clubs.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
i know just one thing of beckham:he dreams of ac milan!!!!!
then when he playes in serie A we will see if he is good enough for real football in the worlds best league:):D

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dream on!
Beckham has always been a life long supporter of United and would never leave the club. Ac Milan however dream of buying him which is why they are prepared to offer a world record breaking bid of 40mil+ for him. Inter too would have liked to break the world transfer record in signing Paul Scholes.
Ofcourse United wont sell either of them.
Why do you think the worlds richest football club Manchester United havn't made any major signings this summer?
Because they already have the best players!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dream on Becksy!!! There´s no way he´ll be made captain, when he´s not even vice-captain of his club team. I think Campbell or Gary Neville would be the logical choice. They´re about the same age, almost identical number of caps. Campbell being captain for spurs, and Neville vice captain for Man U, I think it´s obvious that it´s between them. Neville might have an advantage in being more experienced in European top football, but apart from that it seems even.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Both Beckham and Scholes should go to Italy as it will make them by far better players. Mcmanaman obviously realised that and now he's getting top dollar, winning European Championships and now has a first team place for England!

Nuff Said!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
And Macca will bespending a lot of time on the bench this season!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
If Beckham and Scholes went to ITALY they would be England's beacons abroad and give a chance to prove England actually have good players.

Also A.C. Milan's bid for Beckham was a sick joke....they only did it to make it seem as if they were interested in buying him to satisfy their rabid fans who were again jealous of INTER's off-season campaign........as for...

INTER they never bid for Scholes.....it was all over the net but take a close look at the sites that posted this news.....all English sites........all BullSH!T....

English reporters are jokes

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Becks will never ever be captain, anybody who gets sent off in a crucial World Cup 98 game vs Argentina, gets sent off in a crucial World Club Cup game, undermines his club's manager, and gives fans the middle finger at Euro 2000 does not deserve to captain an international squad. Hell, I hope he never captains Manchester United. Give the captaincy to somebody who deserves it like Dennis Wise.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Typical English statement......another reason why Italian fans and English cannot get along.

That is exactly why players like Effenberg Beckham or SImeone make great captains.

YOU HAVE TO BE ECCENTRIC to be a great captain.

Maradona was one of the greatest captains in history.

beckham would be perfect.....you think everyone has to be a rosy goody two shoes and should be honourable right?

Why Wise? Who knows? Wise may go home every night and have sex with little children.........WHY IS HE WORTHY????? YOU KNOW NOTHING!!!!!!!!

i totally agree that Beckham is not tteh best candidate but he should be over looked

1 - 11 of 11 Posts