Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beckham Average

Not him again going on about Beckham. Well people have criticised Figo who is doing really well and Ronaldo so I have the right to voice my opinion.

Another poor game. He is simply playing the role of a water carrier. I cannot believe you cannot see it. Makalele should have remained at Madrid and we should have bought Ronaldihno, however Beckham gives us more publicity.

Free kicks? How many free kicks has he taken and scored? Very poor. He has scored only two this season. He has not scored any goals or made any assists for a while now. He had a very good start.

Going back to Figo. I sent a post recently and discussed how Figo was doing really well. Some replies were saying how it was a joke. Well he is doing really well, having made more assists (8) than any other player at Real and La Liga and scored 8 goals albeit three from penalties - but what important ones. So maybe I am not talking total rubbish after all.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Beckham is having a dip in form recently. It is more visible since his start had been so good. You´re right.
Let´s hope he can get it together for the decisive part of the season.

Figo is having a great season (Portugal 04 is in his mind, I guess) You are rigth there too. ;)
Let´s hope he keeps like that. :)

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
To be fair to Becks, the role he is beinh asked to fill is difficult for a player like him. I f he had a better DM beside him, like Makelele, he ould have been better I think.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
even when he has the ball he is poor, the few times he goes foward he gives some bad passes. I don´t think he can stand out from the rest of the players and does not have enough charisma to take the ball and take all FKs.

Something he should do!

If he can´t do that maybe he should be Figo´s backup. Let cambiasso or guti take his spot.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Beckham is a good central midfielder, but not a great central midfielder. He started quite well, really well indeed. I thought he would fail in Spain. But lately, the last 2 months, I see him playing bad. He's not determinant at all. He suffers too much in the midfield. I think that the good performance of Real Madrid is hiding his bad moment, but I began to hear critics... and the Bernabeu is very exigent.

He will come back to the right next season, after Figo's departure. By now, he's the worst galactico by far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some excellent comments! I especially agree with the comments that Real Madrid getting good results because of individual genius of Ronaldo that is hiding Beckham's performance in midfield. If we lost to Valencia and other games where Ronaldo saved us questions would have been asked.

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Yeah he is playing pretty bad recently. Bad passes, horrible freekicks, missed tackles, fouls alot...he just isnt doing anything right at the moment. I dont think its because he needs a true DM next to him because he did play quite well at the beginning of the season with Guti but i think it is just a matter of a player being out of form, nothing more.

On the other hand, Figo is playing brilliantly :star:

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
I think he did not perform well against good teams, he runs and tries hard but he is just not built for that position. And for his poor form on FK, I think its due to the fact that he is not the only one taking them.

He might not be the right player for the position but at least let him take all the FKs, at that he is great.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
Perez should have gone after R. Gaucho aka THe best midfielder in the world since Maradona retired.

Beckham is a good player but he is playing out of position..

Beckham and Guti are going to get destroyed if they face Gattuso and Pirlo...in the CL...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
again, he is not that good at free kicks comparing with himself before.

this season from the first game against the dragon team in china to the last game against valencia, beckham totally scored 7 goals in 3037min.. 1 direct kick in 11 games.

la liga 1772min. 3 goals (no free kick)
champion league 360min. 1 goal (1 free kick)
spanish cup 360min. 1 goal (1 free kick)
preseason 545min. 2 goals (1 free kick)
four during asia tour, two in spanish super cup against mallorca, orange cup against valencia and friendlies against river plate and valladolid inclusive.

that is his full record this season, if i'm not wrong. :tongue: sorry, i can't collect his stat. about assists. but as i know he made about six.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Dagoods said:
Perez should have gone after R. Gaucho aka THe best midfielder in the world since Maradona retired.

Beckham is a good player but he is playing out of position..

Beckham and Guti are going to get destroyed if they face Gattuso and Pirlo...in the CL...
So it would make more sense to have Ronaldinho and Guti instead?:rolleyes:

On the free-kick issue. Give Becks some friggin slack. Who do you think he is, the return of Jesus himself? It's not like throwing a grape in an ocean you know. Free-kicks are difficult to get the right spin, accuracy and power on them. Sometimes he'll score and sometimes he won't. It's not like all his freekicks have been on perfect angles either.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
good kickers on good form usually at least hit close to the goal, not even that he is achieving. He should take more FKs, to see if he hits form.

And yes good freekickers make it look as if they are throwing grapes into the ocean, Beckham was bought because that is one of his qualities so I don´t see why people should cut some slack.

Specially if you consider how demanding people are with Figo and the rest of Galacticos.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People will be expecting a lot more from him than just strong work rate!

I am not sure whether it is poor form or playing out of position. Two or three assists Beckham has made have been on the wing. However, I think he may be given lack of space if he played on the wing. It will be interesting to see how we get on against Bayern and other sold teams in Europe.

I have to worry about playing Barca. Can you imagine if they had Davids in Midfield against Beckham, and Ronaldihno with his trickery that night at the Nou Camp and we had two of our top players missing. I think it would have been a different result.

Cheers Mills for some quality compliments.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I agree we need to give the guy some slack he playing a new position for a new club in a new country. Of the 3 imports he's holding up okay. It took Zizou half a season to get his feet planted and it took Ronaldo 3/4 of a season to start being effective.
Like Ive always said La liga is a long marathon, lets just wait and see how he finishes up as we move towards crunch time.

That when a players true worth is seen and both Zizou and Ronaldo step up and delivered, let see what Becks will do.

Hala Becks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Totally agree Che. It is a marathon. Let us see how he gets on through the crunch period.

I am not sure if Beckham has produced the best he is capable of. I cannot see how much more he can do. He very rarely scores goals in open play and he does not know how to run the midfield. Put him on the right and will he react to that? Basically told you are not neede in midfield after he wants to play there.

Interesting times.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,491 Posts
So it would make more sense to have Ronaldinho and Guti instead?
Bottom line is: Barca's signing of R. Gaucho was better than Madrid's signing of Beckham....

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Kiyan said:
Beckham is more usefull to Madrid than Ronaldinho would've been.

Different teams need different things.
But I don't think you really needed Beckham. Although, he would've been more useful when compared to Ronaldinho. If anything, you needed someone who could've controlled the middle of the park, eg. Patrick Vieira.

Something like this would've been very good (not that I'm complaining ;)):

Vieira - Helguera

Figo - Raúl - Zidane

Ronaldo

Beckham shining against mid-table Spanish sides is one thing, but shining against the Milan's and Manchester United's is another. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
Barç¡ŸFan said:
But I don't think you really needed Beckham. Although, he would've been more useful when compared to Ronaldinho. If anything, you needed someone who could've controlled the middle of the park, eg. Patrick Vieira.

Something like this would've been very good (not that I'm complaining ;)):

Vieira - Helguera

Figo - Raò¬__ Zidane

Ronaldo

Beckham shining against mid-table Spanish sides is one thing, but shining against the Milan's and Manchester United's is another. We'll just have to wait and see.
Oh yes, I completely agree. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. We didn't need Beckham, although i'm not a fan of Vieira either.

I just meant that buying Ronaldinho would make about 10x less sense than buying Becks.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts