Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Beattie set to leave Southampton

Harry Redknapp has revealed James Beattie wants to leave Southampton.

James Beattie: A wanted man. (AlexLivesey/GettyImages)

The former England striker was left out of the 1-0 defeat at Liverpool with new Saints boss Redknapp insisting he wants to 'do some business' as soon as possible.

Redknapp admitted three clubs - believed to be Aston Villa, Newcastle and Everton - have all declared an interest and have made bids.

Beattie's move could be done as soon as the weekend with Redknapp claiming he needs money to bolster Southampton's squad as they battle against relegation.

Redknapp said: 'I have several clubs interested in James, I had chat with him today and we put out cards on the table and I asked him what he wanted to do.

'He said that he likes it at Southampton, but if the opportunity was there for him to go then he would like to move on.

'I understand that and, from my point of view, if we get enough money for him it gives me the chance to strengthen the team in maybe three or four positions which is important and I need to do if we are to stay up.

'We have had offers and there are three clubs interested in him. They are decent offers, good money, and if gives me the chance to strengthen the team up all round. If I can get four players in it is better than relying on just one.

'I need to get the business done very early, I can't leave it until the middle of January because it is not going to be easy because I haven't got too many targets.

'It is not easy to find players and for clubs to let them go. Who is going to release players at this stage of the season? Big clubs like Chelsea are not going to release players at this stage.

'It is not easy to find people who can play in the Premier League at this stage of the season. I left him out obviously because I did not want to run the risk of him getting injured and when I had my chat with him I just felt that if he is going to to go it needs to be done by January 1.

'It wasn't worth the risk, we need to do some business and get some money in as soon as we can so that we can find a couple of players.

'Three clubs have rung us and made offers, I am sure that my chairman will now deal with that. We will accept offers and he will be able to talk to who he wants.'

Redknapp's side battled hard against Liverpool at Anfield today but lost 1-0. Redknapp added: 'They did OK, I felt we were always in the game and with a patched up team we did well.

'But we are in a relegation battle, there is no doubt about that.'

Liverpool chief Rafael Benitez admitted his side were nervous as they scrambled their way to victory.

A Florent Sinama-Pongolle first-half goal took the points, but Benitez accepted it was a poor performance.

He said: 'It is difficult to play two games in three days and as the game went on the players became more and more nervous.

'They were thinking about what happened here recently against Portsmouth when we were winning 1-0 until injury time and then conceded an equaliser. As the game wore on and we did not get the second goal you could see that they became nervous and a little afraid.

'But in the end we have taken the three points and this is our third win in succession so that will help us build our confidence.

'We controlled the ball and the game in the first half, but after that it became more difficult because Southampton were fighting hard and it was not easy for our players.'

Benitez revealed Milan Baros was unfit with a slight recurrence of his hamstring problem. The striker was taken out of the squad as a precaution but is expected to be fit for Saturday's clash with Chelsea at Anfield.

Harry Kewell, despite speculation from Australia that he could face an operation on a groin injury, is also expected to be fit to face the Premiership leaders.

Benitez added: 'Both Baros and Kewell were not right for this game, but I do not expect them to be missing from the next one.'

Liverpool also lost full back Steve Finnan during the first half, the Republic of Ireland defender needing eight stitches in a gashed leg.

soccernet

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Southampton look like struggling at the moment, and thats without their main asset leaving.

This could be the season they get relegated.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I don't have much sympathy for Southampton. I've never liked Lowe from the day he took advantage of Dave Jones because Glenn Hoddle had a better record temporarily.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Harry Redknapp will probably be able to buy 10 new players with the money they get for Beattie :smileani:

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
Balis-of-Steel said:
This could be the season they get relegated.
I wouldn't bet on it. Harry wants to this transfer to be done by Monday (Tomorrow) so he can make some loans and free's and believe me he will make some good transfers:D. So far I heard Alex Nyarko and Abel Xavier are on his list to come to Southampton.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
If Harry does get them relegated you will hear the laughing at Fratton Park in Newcastle. :D

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
lol!

Beattie was at Everton today undergoing a medical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts