Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a message to all the Irish...be proud of your team. You played hard and with a lot of heart. A lot of teams can learn a lesson from your team.....you were just a bit unlucky today but that doesn't take away from the fact that you played great....sorry for the loss but you have made a lot of fans of the Irish team...

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
The Irish are out, but, boy, have they done themselves proud. With players and fans with such a big heart, you cannot help but sympathize with them. A lot of nations would wish for a team like that and a lot of teams would wish for fans like that. :proud:

So stand tall, Irish friends. Sing loud, sing proud! You've done a marvelous job.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Irish are out, but they went out fighting:)

No need to regret anything. Irish boys played hell of a game today.:)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Respect from me too.

Look forward to see you at Euro 2004 :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
ireland really have got respect from me...they have not had their captain keane in the WC...but they never quitted and never gave up....the spain game was the perfect example...u should be prouf of your team and your players...duff and keane are your future...duff was impressive in the spain game...he gave a lot of trouble to the spainards...losing a game like that really hurt but i m sure u guys will bounce back and be great again... :)

forza ireland!!! :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have loved Ireland NT since the time of Big Jack. But I have never seen a match more incredible than this one. I was very very demoralised after the penalty shoot-out. Really!:(

I'll always remember the scene that **** comforted Ian Harte on the bench. Well done, lads!

Passion, desire, hunger... that's why I like Ireland.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I am very proud of the boy's. They played so well, they came out firing against a team that was said was going to rip them. We showed how well we can play as a team even if we are underdogs. People said we would not even qualify. I'm sad but happy... Understand... :)

·
©
7,230 Posts
Yeah I agree with a all the posts. Unbelievable spirit and fight to come back from a goal down three times in the tournament. Well done to the team and also to the great Irish fans. Hopefully we will see you in Euro 2004.:)

Maybe Roy Keane learned something aswell.;)

·
Registered
70,374 Posts
You can be proud of your team...It´s a brave team :)
Congrats to Ireland for a great tournament.

:( ;) :mad: HAI ROMANIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Brave me arse, they bottled it when it mattered most. They needed to press home the numerical advantage in extra time, but seemed more interested in letting it go to penalties.
This is the kind of "ah sure we did as good as we could, fair play to us" attitude that pissed Keane off so much.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I couldn't agree more (not with Dbh-Ban). I didn't like the team at first but they won my heart along the games they played. I don't like teams with too much fighting spirit, but the Irish have something more. A great, but somewhat unlucky squad :)

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
dubh-ban said:
Brave me arse, they bottled it when it mattered most. They needed to press home the numerical advantage in extra time, but seemed more interested in letting it go to penalties.
This is the kind of "ah sure we did as good as we could, fair play to us" attitude that pissed Keane off so much.
TOTALLY AGREE. They seem to think of themselves as heroes now who fought hard and went down as lions... bollocks, in reality, they were content with going through the group stage and going down "fighting hard" in the second round. Noone expects more of them with the squad they have and they seem to comply with these low expectations.
As I said before... Mc Carthy is going to Japan to "enjoy himself" (as he said), while Keane was going to Japan to win. Seperates the losers from the winners. Don't hate me for saying this.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Bullox fick'n bullox, your just p!ssed off Kyo because Ireland didn't fall apart like you were praddling on about. And if you think Roys exit was about his desire to win at all costs then your very naive. About extratime, we did push, I'm sorry we didn't push as much as some of you would have prefered but a) the lad's were damned tired, it doesn't matter how much heart you have all that football in hellish heat is going to fatigue the most in-shape footballer and b) our philosophy is attack but we arn't going to throw absolutely everyone forward like crazy morons and have Spain get a golden goal on us.

Could we have played a bit better, yeah we probably could have, but every team that goes out can say that. Maximizing your potential consistently is one of the hardest things to do in football. No team can pull it off to perfection.

I'm damned proud of the lads and they are hero's in my book. They showed absolutely no fear of any team, they never gave up when they were down and a better example of team unity I have not seen in my day's of watching footy.

Yeah I liked that scene too Leeds_utd. There was another one when the Quinner was comforting one of the lads that missed one of the penalty kicks at the end (can't remember who). Without Roy we became very very close knit, we may have lost some creativity down the centre but the unity we profited was far far more important and will carry us into the next Euro's

Good on ya lads, come on home with your heads held high.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
F*ck Roy Keane. The FAI are a pack of pricks but why is Keane back in the conversation. **** is the manager and that's the way it is. In any other line of work you have to respect this. Why not in football. If **** was there for a holiday(which I don't think he was as he said he was there to win it) Keane should respect that and as far as the players are concerned **** is the boss, the main man. He was in charge. Keane f*cked things up. He probably was right with what he was saying but it wasn't his place to say it. He should have waited til after the world cup. Anyway Ireland did great lets make that clear. Anyone can miss a penalty. It's a cruel way to go out but that's the way things go. Look at all the good teams that didn't even make the last 16. The future looks good at the moment with lots of young players coming through. Spain are one of the best teams in the competition and they beat us on penalties. All this sh*t about how the second round isin't good enough. Jesus nobody beat us in this World Cup. What would you guys be happy with? The lads gave 100% what more do you want?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I went to Korea for the game and anyone who says we bottled it can kiss my hairy hole. I watched from the stands and saw those fellas run themselves into the ground for over two hours. The amount of movement off the ball the lads put in so that the passing game could be kept going was incredible. It was Spain who resorted to booting it up to their front men and taking a rest.

Bottled it??? Tell Robbie Keane he's a bottler and see the reaction. Presonally I would'nt have the bottle to equalise from the spot in injury time in front of the world. OK so some of the penos were missed. Big deal. Nobody beat us in this WC in the actual game of football.

I dont go in for the "we're here for beer" mentality either but a lot of that is media cliche and if you buy into it then thats your problem. The boys prepared well and you could see that in the fitness of the players in all our games. In fact I would say we were one of the fittest squads in the competition. Anyone who thinks the lads were there for the craic should have seen their faces after the game.

Finally if anyone from Korea is reading the then all I can say is THANK YOU...for being the friendliest and nicest people I have ever met on my many travels around this planet.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well said, well said. I'd like to take this moment to thank all those non-Irish who came around either on this forum, or other forums to show their apreciation and respect for Ireland. Anyone else can go to hell (you know who you are ;) )

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good Job Badge....glad you were able to make the trip to Korea.

By the way, the winner doesn't always have to be ahead on the scoreboard at the end. My point in starting this thread was that many of the so-called "top" teams can learn a lesson from the Irish team about what it is to play with heart and guts. We have a saying here in the USA that goes something like this..."Leave everything out on the field." In other words give it your all. That is what the Irish did against Spain...great job lads...oh and by the way, great job by the fans of Ireland too...;)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I agree, it was a spectacular result. Just goes to show you that any 'situation' no matter how grave has the possibility of being overcome. The team could have been demoralized, but they played above expectations.

I don't agree that Ireland didn't push enough in extratime. I was watching the game on here, and they kept showing the same picture of this irish fan, who was absolutely emotional during the entire match. The Irish supporters, along with a couple other countries, give the worldcup the incredible atmosphere that is so unique.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
JureM

There were a few of you Croats lads at the game. I think they were on our side (well they better have been cos we shouted our support at them when they were strolling into the stadium).

There was a bit of emotion in that stadium all right. btw what a stadium it was. Even the toilets were a pleasure to piss in!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts