Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the captaincy, should we give this back to Barry Ferguson? My own feeling is that we should despite him not being back at the club very long. I really do feel we are missing a leader in the middle of the park to drag the team through games when it's not going our way.

Stefan Klos is the club captain at the moment. He thoroughly deserves it for a number of reasons. He's been a fantastic servant and one of the most influential members of the side. My only problem with it is that I don't think goalkeepers make good captains. If a stiker isn't pulling his weight what is a goalkeeper going to do about it?

Alex Rae was supposed to be vice-captain. When he was appointed this at the start of the season he looked the part. An aggresive central midfielder who looks a born leader. The fact that he is Scottish and a Rangers supporter are the icing on the cake. In the second half of the season he's not been the same player. For some reason he did not become captain when Klos got injured which was strange.

Fernando Ricksen has been the consumate professional this season. I was glad to see him get the captaincy because of his performances but to be honest he lacks leadership. He doesn't grab the team by the scruff of the neck when they are underperforming and neither does he do much shouting. Part of the problem is that he looks up to Ferguson as a player.

Would you make Bazza captain again, keep it as it is or have another prospective captain to suggest?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'd leave Ricksen with the captaincy. He does make an effort to fire his team-mates up, and has actually begun to 'play for the jersey'. I was never really happy with Ferguson being the captain despite his fantastic form when we won the league a couple of weeks back. I think he moans at players rather than inspires them, and he can continue to do that without the captain's armband.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts