Xtratime Community banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, today is the last matchday in Bundesliga and I am following the relegation battle. One of Bremen and Dusseldorf will get relegated and one will play the playoff against 3rd placed team in Bundesliga 2. Paderborn already relegated, finishing bottom.

Bremen strolling to a 3-0 lead at HT against Koln who have nothing to play for, it's a fishy result, 3 goals conceded by Koln in a half...but today I learned that Koln are rivals of Dusseldorf so now this result makes sense..clearly Koln want their neighbors and rivals Dusseldorf relegated. Bremen won't be complaining, quite the contrary..

On the other hand, Union Berlin are playing a serious match and leading 1-0 against Dusseldorf with a goal from Anthony Ujah... a former Bremen player, ironically.

Everything going Bremen's way today. They are fortunate to be playing against the rivals of the team battling Bremen for survival, and in the other decisive match Union playing a fair game although technically it doesn't matter much for Union... with a former Bremen player scoring to boot.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dusseldorf's day going from bad to worse.

Union make it 2-0

Gentner after an assist by... Ujah.

I don't know how Werder Bremen fans felt about Ujah when he was their player but today they love him for sure.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bremen 5-0 Koln, now.. fishy game getting stinkier tbh.

Koln making sure that their local rivals Dusseldorf are getting relegated.

Will the league investigate that game, I wonder..

It was in Dusseldorf's hands though, had they won at Union.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Schalke 04 losing 4-0 (at Freiburg), and not for the first time this season they lose 4-0...

Dortmund 0-4 Hoffenheim lol wtf.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Bremen 6-1 up lol

To put things in perspective, Bremen had scored 36 goals in the 33 league games prior, which is basically an average of 1 goal per game.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If Jeff was to write a headline for Bremen's win

"Japanese star Osako keeps Bremen's chances of Bundesliga survival alive"

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Union 3-0 Dusseldorf

Bremen 6-1 Koln

Dusseldorf down

Bremen will wait til tomorrow to see who finishes 3rd in Bundesliga 2.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ffs Hamburg...How the **** do you lose 1-5 at home against a mid table team with nothing to play for (Sandhausen) when you are playing for a chance of promotion?!

Armenia did Hamburg a huge favour by beating Heidenheim 3-0 but Hamburg proper choked in an embarrassing manner. Their fans must be livid.

I guess Bremen won't have much problems in the playoffs

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
*Arminia, my bad

Hamburg's coach is Dieter Hecking now that I checked, not exactly an inexperienced rookie

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Hani Ramzi didn't win Bundesliga unfortunately. He joined Bremen in 94, and they had won it in 92-93.

And he joined Kaiserslautern in 98, and they had won it in 97-98..

He only won 1 trophy in Germany with Bremen, the Super cup in 1994

You're right about Zidan winning Bundesliga though. Klopp was a fan of his, took him there (they were at Mainz together previously)
The Bundesliga was so egalitarian in the early 1990s when Bayern had a poor run and Dortmund hadnt become a powerhouse yet. I especially remember the 1991/92 season where Dortmund, Frankfurt and Stuttgart were level before the last round and Stuttgart clinched it, unexpectedly. Bayern finished 10th. Kaiserslautern had won the previous season, Werder won the year after, it was almost too egalitarian.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
I think the FA tried to get Zidan to play for the Danish NT, btw.

His peak seasons were some of the best by any player in the Danish Superliga.

Famously, he bought a limited edition gold watch on the black market and showed it off on Danish national TV. There were only eight of them :D

·
Registered
17,517 Posts
Hamburg has become famous for choking in the last decade or so.

Bremen should win against Heidenheim, although I root for Heidenheim, would be an interesting (1 year :D) addition to the Bundesliga.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
To lose 5-1 at home against a mid table team when a draw was enough to finish 3rd (as Heidenheim lost at Bielefeld and have a worse gd) is another level of choking. To make matters worse it's the second season running Hamburg finish 4th, 1 point behind 3rd... got to feel for their fans tbh.

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I think the FA tried to get Zidan to play for the Danish NT, btw.

His peak seasons were some of the best by any player in the Danish Superliga.

Famously, he bought a limited edition gold watch on the black market and showed it off on Danish national TV. There were only eight of them :D
Yes I remember he did some crazy stuff in the Danish league, dribbles etc..

Good thing he played for us. He certainly made a decent contribution to the Egyptian NT.

Zidan made 2 winning assists in 2 consecutive African Cup of Nations finals.

Most famously in 2008 when he tussled for the ball with Rigobert Song before gifting the ball to Abo Treka, and we won 1-0 so a huge assist.

Then in 2010 against Ghana when Zidan assisted Nagy Gedo in a match where we rarely created anything

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I see that Bayern's reserves/second team are close to promotion to the 2nd division. I guess going forward they wouldn't be allowed a place in Bundesliga even if they win Bundesliga 2 (like the rules in Spain, the reserve teams of Real and Barca can't play in La Liga)

·
Registered
58,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I guess Bremen won't have much problems in the playoffs
Earlier tonight the 1st leg of the playoffs finished Bremen 0-0 Heidenheim.

I certainly underestimated Heidenheim, and I also underestimated the mediocrity of this Bremen side.. clearly the 6 goals against Koln were more to do with Koln bending over than Bremen playing well..

I watched the playoff 1st leg and Bremen were dreadful.

Bremen had 2 shots on target and both came in the last 10 minutes, one of which originated from the gk of Heidenheim dropping the ball (it was raining heavily in Bremen tbf)

Heidenheim for the most part defended well. They lacked some quality and accuracy in their attacks but now they will believe they can beat this Bremen team.

Werder Bremen will miss their captain Moisander who got sent off.

Bremen were so lacking in ideas and creativity, one or two of the below 3 former Bremen players could well have been useful for this current sterile Bremen side..

21 - 39 of 39 Posts