Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bayern ponder more Keane talks

Monday 28th January 2002

Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer hinted on Monday that he could try again to sign Roy Keane, who has so far refused to extend his contract with Manchester United beyond 2003.

"We had talks with Keane two years ago," said the Kaiser.

United captain Keane is in no hurry to begin serious talks about a new deal, despite suggestions from the English champions before Christmas that an agreement was close.

Now Beckenbauer has admitted being behind a Bayern bid for the Republic of Ireland star in 2000. "When we found out his contract was up two years ago, we met Keane and had talks with him," said the Germany legend.

"He was interested, but maybe Manchester United offered him more money than we did, I don't know."

Beckenbauer went on to heap praise on Keane, whom he fears could cause problems for Group E opponents Germany at the World Cup. "Keane is unique," he said. "He is all over the pitch. He is a leader with fantastic technique and he scores goals.

"He is one of the best players in the world. For Ireland, he is more than the captain, he is the team. A great character and leader. I followed the qualification games, especially the 1-0 win over Holland, and felt Ireland deserved to go through automatically.

"For Germany it will be a very difficult game as Ireland are on the same level as Germany, Spain and other teams going into the finals. For me, Argentina and France are at the top level."

Keane's agent Michael Kennedy confirmed recently that talks over a new United contract were progressing slowly. "He has got 18 months to go yet, so it's still early days," he said.

The £52,000-a-week contract runs until the end of next season, but while Kennedy admitted some talks have taken place, he acknowledged a new deal has not been thrashed out.

"There have been some preliminary discussions, but there is a long way to go yet. It could be six months before it is completed," he said.

Keane, 30, has said he wants to remain at United, although his desire to play for Celtic is well-known.

United claim they are not unduly worried by the Keane situation, but would clearly like to tie up their skipper on a longer-term deal, particularly as there is still uncertainty surrounding his midfield colleague David Beckham.

The England captain wants to know who is going to replace Sir Alex Ferguson as United coach before pledging his future to the club and Keane is thought to be no different.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
:howler:

ONEFOOTBALL.COM :D

As much as I would like to see Keane in Bayern he wouldn't sign and Bayern also wouldn't sign him. Our midfield is too packed for Keane.

·
Registered
98 Posts
well, Keane? i don't hope he comes to bayern. now, we (will) have so many mid-fielders,scholl--deisler--jeme--ballack--salihamidic--lizarazu--thiam--fink, too much..... the meanest boss in the world--Honess should use his little money to buy some young defenders. we should improve our defence. kovac is tooooooooo slow, linke is old, anderson has gone, kehl has joined in dortmund. who will be the leader of our defence line?

cheers.

forza bayern

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I wish we had signed Keane instead of Ballack. Not that he's younger or better offensively or German ;), but that he's the leader we can depend on after Effe leaves. Keane is a unique footballer with one of the biggest hearts.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Lets face it, it's impossible to get such a player in the German league.

Btw, matthausforever, we also have Hargreaves :eek: ;).

I agree, we need to sign a young defender, but thats not easy as we all saw with Kehl...

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Tigerheart said:
Lets face it, it's impossible to get such a player in the German league.
Do you consider Lizarazu a less footballer? Lizarazu is the best left back, while Keane is one of the best central midfielders. But it's undeniable he'd be a moron to chose Buli over Serie A. ;)

Tigerheart said:

I agree, we need to sign a young defender, but thats not easy as we all saw with Kehl...
You mean an already established one, right? Why can't Hitzfeld just spend some time or send scouts to discover Metzelders? :confused: Too lazy, I guess. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lizarazu is indeed one of the best left backs in the world, and yes, he plays for Bayern Munich. However, signing Keane would still be difficult. Frankly, I doubt he would want to play in Germany to begin with. Let's face it. German football isn't as good as it was before at this point. Hence, I don't think Keane would want to switch leagues. Furthermore, Keane makes good money in England. I doubt Bayern would spend that much money to get him. After all, spending big cash on a star isn't Bayern's style. On the other hand, I believe Man U would want to re-sign him, and the last thing they want to see is him going to Bayern. Therefore, I won't be surprised that all this discussion is nothing but bull****....

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
You don't honestly think that Keane would swap the premier league and Manchester United for the boring Bundesliga+Bayern would you? No offense, but that's the best way to put things. Bayern may be good, but it certainly doesn't have the flair and commercial power like Manchester United - even non-football fans know Manchester United. Lastly, the premier league is simply put in higher regard than the Bundesliga in the football world: this is a fact.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kyo said:
Bayern may be good, but it certainly doesn't have the flair and commercial power like Manchester United - even non-football fans know Manchester United.
kyo, i don't agree with you on this point, however. bayern is one of the best football clubs in the world. she is also the banner of german football. as to the commercial power, well, i think bayern is no worse than man.u. man.u did a good job in the exploiting asia market, which brought a big profit and a huge fame to man.u. but if bayern did the same thing as you did, bayern would gain more than you do. anyway, bayern is now building her new stadium with munich 1860.. the stadium is very very morden and beautigul:)

cheers

forza bayern

1 - 10 of 10 Posts