Xtratime Community banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
43,218 Posts
Bentex said plot holes in the Bat movies weren't in fact plot holes if you took the time to watch some viral marketing, so I wondered whether that was the case re the Terminator time paradoxes as well.

Imo, it's hard to say anything about plot holes in general, sometimes I care, sometimes not. Vertigo, the Greatest Movie of All Time (c) is one big plot cravass. I do suspect sometimes people will point to supposed plot holes simply in order rationalize their dislike for a movie that they didn't like in the first place anyway. Other similar tactics include quoting supposedly dumb lines from the dialogue at length, or of course point out alleged racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia (that way you can discard a movie easily and virtue signal all at once).
It's easier than you think. In general, plot holes are bad and indicate deficient writing.

How bad they are directly relates to how seriously you're supposed to take the movie. If you're supposed to take it seriously, then major plot holes can take you out of the experience. On the other hand, if a movie is about fun and largely disregards plot as a device (e.g. a Family Guy movie, where the writing is geared towards gags), then plot holes will not have a big impact.

In order to determine seriousness, don't get entangled with bogus, extreme positions. FX, fanboys either overstating or waving away plotholes due to their fandom. Or contrarians taking up absolutist positions, like "all movies are entertainment; ergo, plot holes don't matter" (aka "The Last Jedi was fine" argument).

·
Administrator
29,388 Posts
Plot hole nitpicking is basically a new science of Internet. Anyways, plots with their relative insignificance can screw a movie, specially if it is a plot oriented narrative that pretends to be realistic and sustained by some infalible structure. Then plot holes will be highlited like in Terminator (and even if you consider just the basic premisse of the first movie, that wasn't much important) or Game of thrones. However, if the movie is some some short of character development study, at some level, plot holes fade, just like Vertigo or Dark Knight Returns.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
how many times have you seen Terminator and Terminator 2?
T2 easily in the hundreds. T1 much less, maybe 20-30 times. I don't really like it.

Do the plotholes in Terminator make sense if you watch the viral marketing?

I liked The Prestige and Dunkirk, the other stuff not so much, though I might give Interstellar and Inception another go.

Viral marketing was different for SALVATION. The Dark Knight released loads of stuff like Harvey Dent's campaign to be DA. Newspaper reports, Gotham Tonight, Crime Reports. It was remarkable. It was supposed to bigger but with Ledger's death they didn't release some stuff.

Check this out.

·
Registered
29,268 Posts
A plot hole / logical inconsistency in a film is either there or isn't. It's hard for me to see what marketing (or fan fiction or whatever) would eliminate it. At best, it might make clear that what was perceived as an inconsistency was actually an oversight on the part of the reviewers.

·
Registered
29,268 Posts
T2 easily in the hundreds. T1 much less, maybe 20-30 times. I don't really like it.

Small wonder, if you've seen it several dozen times. :stress:

The film I've watched the most, not counting viewings from before I was 15ish, is probably Pulp Fiction with 6 or 8 viewings and I'm fairly sick of that one, a former favourite.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Joaquin Phoenix will probably win the Oscar with this performance. De Niro slick as always.

I liked the movie but I'm thinking a second part will kind of ruin any memory of it. The prospect of seeing more of this Joker version doesn't sound bad but only as far as Batman doesn't yet emerge (which is unlikely).

·
Registered
29,268 Posts
Joaquin Phoenix will probably win the Oscar with this performance. De Niro slick as always.

I liked the movie but I'm thinking a second part will kind of ruin any memory of it. The prospect of seeing more of this Joker version doesn't sound bad but only as far as Batman doesn't yet emerge (which is unlikely).
Always? :err:

·
Registered
29,268 Posts
Meet the Parents might be his least sloppy performance in the last 20 years.

·
Registered
12,621 Posts
Meet the Parents might be his least sloppy performance in the last 20 years.
Hey, I'm just a big fan. But you're right, he probably didn't do anything great since 95 but even in atrocities like Meet the Fockers he was still my favorite char.

·
Administrator
29,388 Posts
A plot hole / logical inconsistency in a film is either there or isn't. It's hard for me to see what marketing (or fan fiction or whatever) would eliminate it. At best, it might make clear that what was perceived as an inconsistency was actually an oversight on the part of the reviewers.
Just like Horace joking that "sometimes god homer nods" does not eliminate them from Homer's works or people claiming the butler was sitting in the room where nobody could see would make less strange to the fact nobody is close to hear Kane last words eliminate the problem and make them less relevant. They just don't matter.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
Well, I'll put it in a different (same) way.

There is stuff in The Dark Knight that people might not understand or understand fully if you didn't catch info in the viral marketing. There was a huge viral marketing campaign (as the video I posted reports).

That's it, nothing to add to that.

You added plot holes! to the viral marketing, not me. I talked about articles calling bits plot holes because they didn't listen to the diologue. Just watch cinema sins.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts