Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
29,329 Posts
I haven't really been convinced by Villeneuve, maybe I'm a little fed up with this strand of artsy noir-horror-sci-fi from him, Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Annihilation), Glazer (Under the Skin), and that A Quiet Place. They seemingly aim to strike a balance between Predator and Stalker, but aren't as good as either. But again, maybe I shouldn't complain, because they are in a certain way a (modest) counterweight to all the star wars and superhero stuff, and quite intelligent, enjoyable, and seen by quite a few people so that you can actually strike up a conversation at lunch or a dinner party about them, if you're lucky.

·
Registered
29,329 Posts
It's true you can't rely on reviewers, certainly not aggregates like Rotten Tomatoes, but they do often ensure that a film doesn't become a mainstream success, especially with the segment Hawley would be going for. Anyway, I'd watch it.

Nolan and Fincher mentioned because they were directors with a certain mainstream cultural impact for "our generation", as Bentex talked about.

·
Administrator
29,412 Posts
I don't even look at Rotten Tomatoes or any of those open online movie sites. They are pointless for criticism. It is place for fanboyism, so, you have extremes, either those who love the work or those who hate, while useful criticism needs some balance to identify what is there. Hawley worked with gray areas (the rapist had kind of redeeming final in Legion), but really, his originality is what interest me. Dunno how it goes when it is a Natalie Portman movie. In the end, it does not matter much if the movie is progressive or not, the whole storytelling thing is what matters. (albeit, vanguard artists have a tendency to be vanguard in other areas, moving foward and all, but the whole thing is a industry and hardly an individual enterprise, but that is beside the point).

About Villenueve, Blade Runner is not as good as the original (the real original, with Harison Ford muffed voice off), but he managed to give a vision that both a call to the past and moving foward, this is more a merit that anything else.

·
Registered
79,606 Posts
T2 combined the number and the additional title to be safe. Btw, they used the English spelling (Judgment, not Judgement).

While numbers are good, the idea of exceptions to the rule is appealing, especially where you can pretty much tell it's a sequel by the name. Alien -> Aliens, Batman -> Batman Returns, Honey I Shrunk The Kids -> Honey I Blew Up The Kids.

One smart title (at the time) that achieved both: Look Who's Talking -> Look Who's Talking Too

Máté, I never noticed the spelling before! Looks weird to me now.

You mentioned 'Batman Returns'. How exactly is that obvious? Someone not familiar with the franchise only knows it's just not the first film. If TB did a 3rd and called it 'Batman' saves Gotham' (I live near Gotham BTW, when the buses have Batman adverts on them it looks awesome). Nobody knows if it's 2nd or 3rd.

Nolan got away with Begins, TDK, TDKR. You can work that out.

It's OK if you know the franchise, but like I said. I don't care for the F&F films. But if it's on I may watch. But I have no idea what order they're in.

There is nothing wrong with "MI7: Even worse CGI".

Back to Terminator. I heard from a YouTube that UK is getting the movie a week earlier than anywhere in the world. Pre-Bookings are down in the US. Their plan is to release the movie in a small English-speaking territory confident it will create buzz for the yanks. That tells me it's going to be great. If it was like Terminator Jenny Smith they wouldn't do it.

My prediction is Mackenzie Davis will put in an amazing performance as Grace. What I've seen so far is amazing. I just hope the Dani Ramos character isn't the new John Conner. I'd rather she's be an inventor or something critical in the future. I want new content, not recycled shit we've already seen. Like T3 (which was dreadful). But I know they won't make the Jenny Smith mistake again. Setting up a the movie by with time travel to get John, Kyle and Sarah fighting in their prime at the same time. Set piece to set piece. To charector development, no arch, nada. Sucked big time.

·
Registered
43,261 Posts
Máté, I never noticed the spelling before! Looks weird to me now.

You mentioned 'Batman Returns'. How exactly is that obvious? Someone not familiar with the franchise only knows it's just not the first film. If TB did a 3rd and called it 'Batman' saves Gotham' (I live near Gotham BTW, when the buses have Batman adverts on them it looks awesome). Nobody knows if it's 2nd or 3rd.

Nolan got away with Begins, TDK, TDKR. You can work that out.
Yeah, it's likely it's because I was paying attention when those movies came out. But "returns" sounds like a sequel. Even in the Nolan trilogy, TDKR is the sequel to TDK. But yeah, take it or leave it.

Numbers don't always tell you everything either. Look at the Insidious series. Chapter 3 is a prequel.

I'm forgetting a bunch of movie titles for this discussion. Help me out.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
re: American directors

Richard Linklater definitely deserves a mention, he's been doing good stuff for a while now (although to think about it, I haven't seen his last 3 films after Boyhood). Inarritu's Birdman and The Revenant were both amazing experiences. Damien Chazelle's Whiplash and especially First Man were good, haven't seen La La Land yet.

Debra Granik from the indie scene...

·
Registered
29,329 Posts
re: American directors

Richard Linklater definitely deserves a mention, he's been doing good stuff for a while now (although to think about it, I haven't seen his last 3 films after Boyhood). Inarritu's Birdman and The Revenant were both amazing experiences. Damien Chazelle's Whiplash and especially First Man were good, haven't seen La La Land yet.
Those are among of the directors who till at least get shown in some cinemas in Copenhagen, some even at multiplexes.

Importantly, they'll also get Oscar buzz, though going forward they'll have trouble winning without a black person in the leading role (looking at you, Chazelle), or at least someone queer, like a sea monster.

I was initially impressed with Birdman, but now have serious misgivings about it. Revenant I found downright silly apart from the bear attack scene. Cuaron I like a little bit better than Innaritu, though he has some of the same flaws and virtues.

When it comes to PT Anderson I'm definitely a fan, and his films will also be shown in cinemas in Copenhagen (though sadly not projected on film), if only for a few weeks.

Debra Granik from the indie scene...
There are many talented people doing indie stuff of course, though it will never become that big a part of cinema culture. Many, like the S Craig Zahler films, won't even get limited releases in the major cities in the US, but go straight from festivals to pay-per-view or Netflix.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Those are among of the directors who till at least get shown in some cinemas in Copenhagen, some even at multiplexes.

Importantly, they'll also get Oscar buzz, though going forward they'll have trouble winning without a black person in the leading role (looking at you, Chazelle), or at least someone queer, like a sea monster.

I was initially impressed with Birdman, but now have serious misgivings about it. Revenant I found downright silly apart from the bear attack scene. Cuaron I like a little bit better than Innaritu, though he has some of the same flaws and virtues.

When it comes to PT Anderson I'm definitely a fan, and his films will also be shown in cinemas in Copenhagen (though sadly not projected on film), if only for a few weeks.

There are many talented people doing indie stuff of course, though it will never become that big a part of cinema culture. Many, like the S Craig Zahler films, won't even get limited releases in the major cities in the US, but go straight from festivals to pay-per-view or Netflix.
I thought it was pretty good although they had changed the real story in some aspects, such as giving the guy a son (Native American too somehow :D) whose murder was the main motivation for revenge. IRL there was no son, the guy was simply pissed off they left him dying.

·
Registered
29,329 Posts
Such inaccuracies don't necerssarily bother me, though sometimes they do. I just remember the contrived supposed visual references to Tarkovsky (hardly Sokurov level of subtlety), and a lot of huffin and puffin from Leo, a few bits of heavy handed "anti-colonialist" symbolism (e.g. Frenchies raping a child). The opening battle scene in the forest was quite impressive, though, maybe? Again, it's been four years.

Btw, the lanscape of the film looked like Pacific Northwest, which wouldn't have been accurate, I guess, as the fronteer hadn't moved that far in Glass' day?

Google edit: I see it was filmed in Canada.

Again, I don't necessarily complain.

In Man of the West, one of my favourites, they start out in a friendly green golf course-like landscape and end the film after a few day's slow carriage ride in basically a desert. because it fits the story and theme of the film.

And of course, in John Ford's Stagecoach, they go from Tonto, Arizona, to Lordsburg, NM, by way of Monument Valley in Utah. :D

·
Administrator
29,412 Posts
Just watched and, unless the movie ends gathering controversies, Phoenix will domain the awards seasons, if not the movie itself. It is surprisingly well done (despite one or not minor sittuation and the simplistic take on politics), the script do everything right to show a character devleopment, each FBI rulebook about serial killers used. There is quite a similarity with Taxy Driver narrative of descent into madness, except ending as a punk, the character goes as a clown, but really, Phoenix carries the movie on his back.

·
Registered
29,329 Posts
The largest of the old cinemas in Cph, and the only one with a 70mm projection capability, will be showing it in that format. Few films are shot in that format, only certain directors make a point (or gimmick) of doing so. So The Master by PTA, Hateful Eight... I did go see Dunkirk there in 70mm, though I was more impressed with the IMAX version, tbh, as I went to a digital multiplex the second time to see the difference. (There are no non-digital IMAXes in Denmark).

Anyway, the Oscar academy might have a controversial year as there are reservations about Brat Pitt's role in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (beat up Asian-American icon Bruce Lee and killed his own wife and some Manson hippies) and this one with Joaquin Phoenix (incel, much like Travis Bickle), and they are both in contention.

·
Registered
29,329 Posts
Dunkirk was the one in IMAX/70mm, to my knowledge the only one. Joker is "standard" 70mm celluloid. Anyway, only a handful of cinemas in Denmark can even project on film these days, let alone 70mm.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The only time I've been impressed with the format was London's IMAX huge screen with Avatar.

Here in Estonia (digital IMAX only) maybe with The Hobbit trilogy too, even if only the first one was a proper movie. With 2D movies I don't think it adds that much.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts