49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joker origin story with Joaquin Phoenix :facepalm:

Hollywood has won, American cultural hegemony over Europe is complete

·
1st Tier Poster
49,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
directer by the highly rated auteur Todd Phillips, of Road Trip, The Hangover trilogy and Due Date fame

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
He's done it before...

(Did anyone else see the campy 1960s Tv-show with Adam West? Loved it as a kid. Though Otto Preminger as Mr Freeze was creepy)

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
I can't wait for this movie.

Todd Phillips aka szövkap's twin is a decent film maker. He was contracted to make the Hangover sequels coz they made a shit load of money. Kinda messed with his reputation. Due Date was funnier than all the hangover movies together.

It's neither a Batman or comic book movie. There are no super powers or alien worlds. It's about a psychopath. Watch it for what it is. I've seen some scenes of the movie and it's brutal. The cinematography is beautiful. I think it'll make at least $600 millió. People will go back to watch it. It only cost $55 millió to make.

It's an amazing time for franchise films of my generation.

Joker
Terminator: Dark Fate
Rambo:Last Blood
Top Gun: Maverick
Bad Boys for life (no Michael Bay!)
Breaking Bad Movie: El Camino (Fugitive Pinkmann)
Indiana Jones 5
Bond (final Daniel Craig movie)
John Wick 4
Bill & Ted
Triplets (Twins 2)

There are loads more like Frozen 2 and Adams family but I'm not going for them.

Also Gavin and Stacy back on telly!

I'm looking forward to many of these.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
I can't believe they named it Last Blood lol.

Better than Rambo No. 5, I suppose.

·
Registered
44,974 Posts
So dated but the Prince song fit perfectly....he even took on the Joker persona in his music video. I think this was around the time that @Nacka was blasting Roxette on his radio.

My favourite scene from the movie:

·
Greta joke sharer
23,631 Posts
So dated but the Prince song fit perfectly....he even took on the Joker persona in his music video. I think this was around the time that @Nacka was blasting Roxette on his radio.

My favourite scene from the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPgW2kkVSEI
True, to some extent. I believe "The Look" was pretty popular around that time. Also quite a bit of power ballads. "I Remember You" and "18 and Life" by Skid Row and for some reason "He's Back" by Alice Cooper was quite popular with the ladies around the same time.

·
Registered
79,615 Posts
I can't believe they named it Last Blood lol.

Better than Rambo No. 5, I suppose.
In the 80s that was the big thing to do. Even if it wasn't a sequel. Marketing people said numbers are easier to remember.

I would prefer numbers and a title. I'm not a Fast & Furious fan, but I will watch if one of them is on. But I have no idea where in the order the movie is. It's just ridiculous...

'2 fast 2 furious' and 'fast five' is obvious. But 'fast and furious'.. 'the fast and furious'.. Tokió Drift'... WTF?

Mission Impossible to put in order. Okay if they're stand alone films, but they're not.

John Wick does it perfectly.

Terminator is the worst of the worst. Dark Fate is going to be the 3rd sequel to T2: Judgement Day (T2: Judgement Day is a great title).

What wrong with the title MI:5 Rogue Nation? Nothing ;)

·
Registered
44,974 Posts
True, to some extent. I believe "The Look" was pretty popular around that time. Also quite a bit of power ballads. "I Remember You" and "18 and Life" by Skid Row and for some reason "He's Back" by Alice Cooper was quite popular with the ladies around the same time.
Fine, I'll admit it. I blasted The Look on my radio. I didn't like it initially but it grew on me and I bought the album because of it. :cry:

I thought Skid Row was great too. Don't forget FNM though. :nono:

For Alice Cooper, Poison was huge at the time. I don't think I've ever heard or seen the video for He's Back. :hmm:

·
Registered
44,974 Posts
In the 80s that was the big thing to do. Even if it wasn't a sequel. Marketing people said numbers are easier to remember.

I would prefer numbers and a title. I'm not a Fast & Furious fan, but I will watch if one of them is on. But I have no idea where in the order the movie is. It's just ridiculous...

'2 fast 2 furious' and 'fast five' is obvious. But 'fast and furious'.. 'the fast and furious'.. Tokió Drift'... WTF?

Mission Impossible to put in order. Okay if they're stand alone films, but they're not.

John Wick does it perfectly.

Terminator is the worst of the worst. Dark Fate is going to be the 3rd sequel to T2: Judgement Day (T2: Judgement Day is a great title).

What wrong with the title MI:5 Rogue Nation? Nothing ;)
T2 combined the number and the additional title to be safe. Btw, they used the English spelling (Judgment, not Judgement).

While numbers are good, the idea of exceptions to the rule is appealing, especially where you can pretty much tell it's a sequel by the name. Alien -> Aliens, Batman -> Batman Returns, Honey I Shrunk The Kids -> Honey I Blew Up The Kids.

One smart title (at the time) that achieved both: Look Who's Talking -> Look Who's Talking Too

·
Greta joke sharer
23,631 Posts
Fine, I'll admit it. I blasted The Look on my radio. I didn't like it initially but it grew on me and I bought the album because of it. :cry:

I thought Skid Row was great too. Don't forget FNM though. :nono:

For Alice Cooper, Poison was huge at the time. I don't think I've ever heard or seen the video for He's Back. :hmm:
Ah yeah, that makes sense. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I was responsible for making "He's Back" popular locally, I had copied Constrictor on cassette tape from my brother, or just stolen the tape from him, who knows? My favorite was School's Out which was added at the end of the tape (along with No More Mr Nice Guy) to make use of the space. But He's Back is the song that other people seemed to prefer. Bummer!

I don't think I've seen the video for He's Back either, but I assume that Jason Vorhees is in it. Actually I found it and realize that I did see the video back in the day.

Same with Skid Row, Youth Gone Wild and Piece Of Me which I preferred didn't gain as much traction as the power ballads. :(

As for FNM, I didn't mention them since they still hold up to scrutiny (even if these days The Real Thing might be my least favorite album of their's). Even their new material is solid unlike most bands from that era. Actually Sol Invictus (along with Wovenhand's Refractory Obdurate) might be one of the few new albums that I've enjoyed listening to in the last few years. I might need to update my method's of finding new music. Is Pitchfork still a thing? :hmm:

·
Registered
44,974 Posts
I've never heard of Woven Hand until now. Will check that album out.

The Alice Cooper track sounds really familiar...I'm not sure if I recall it from the movie or if it reminds me of other songs from those days. I didn't watch Friday the 13th until the 90's. If I'd heard that song in the 80's I'd most likely have played it a lot, especially because of the horror theme. Hearing it now, I think the campy keyboard is great.

No More Mr Nice Guy is a cool song. It has a Ziggy Stardust vibe to the verse...just looked it up and it came out a year later. I prefer his live versions where the tempo is quicker. There's a '79 version with a trashy sounding guitar...love it.

Heard the song by way of the Megadeth cover, which is pretty good, imo.

[TUB]rvdaWLOIsK4[/tub]

Reactions: Nacka

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
I got my first Walkman around 1991 and there was definitely some Roxette going on, although mostly Michael Jackson's Dangerous album. That was when CD had just taken over and there was a lot of fillers where you had to FF, fx a long boring Beethoven prelude for Will Young Be There.

Btw I haven't bought an album, even for download, since, like, Frank Ocean in 2011 something.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
I can't wait for this movie.

Todd Phillips aka szövkap's twin is a decent film maker. He was contracted to make the Hangover sequels coz they made a shit load of money. Kinda messed with his reputation. Due Date was funnier than all the hangover movies together.

It's neither a Batman or comic book movie. There are no super powers or alien worlds. It's about a psychopath. Watch it for what it is. I've seen some scenes of the movie and it's brutal. The cinematography is beautiful. I think it'll make at least $600 millió. People will go back to watch it. It only cost $55 millió to make.

It's an amazing time for franchise films of my generation.

Joker
Terminator: Dark Fate
Rambo:Last Blood
Top Gun: Maverick
Bad Boys for life (no Michael Bay!)
Breaking Bad Movie: El Camino (Fugitive Pinkmann)
Indiana Jones 5
Bond (final Daniel Craig movie)
John Wick 4
Bill & Ted
Triplets (Twins 2)

There are loads more like Frozen 2 and Adams family but I'm not going for them.

Also Gavin and Stacy back on telly!

I'm looking forward to many of these.
I would rather they bothered to come up with something "new" for our generation, but I guess Tarantino is the best we can hope for, he has a personality at least. I'm pleased that he has mainstream succes, as one of the few outside the Evil Disney Empire.

Joker looks marginally interesting, none of the rest do, really.

I saw the latest John Wick, hadn't seen the others. Good action scenes which weren't hyper-edited like the superhero movies, but not really anything else for me to latch onto.

The original Top Gun is barely a film, though I have nostalgia for it (my sister would watch it non-stop on VHS).

·
Administrator
30,570 Posts
Top Gun is a very length music video of not so memorable songs.

Anyways, there are hopes beyond Tarantino, Noah Hawley that develivered two original and very good series (Fargo and Legion) is coming with Lucy in the sky, let's how he goes with a movie.

·
Registered
32,267 Posts
I loved The Ballad of Bugs Bunny, and they do have a certain cache beyond the arthouses, but their films aren't turned into an event like one from Tarantino, let alone Disney. They're also a bit older, let's face it, basically babyboomers.

Christopher Nolan still has that high profile, though I guess at some point his Bat-following will lose their patience.

I hadn't heard of Lucy in the Sky, what's up with all these outer space movies? I'm going to see Ad Astra by James Gray next week, Brad Pitt in the cockpit.

Oh, I just checked up on David Fincher:

In July 2019, David Fincher announced he would be filming Mank, a black and white Mankiewicz biopic with Gary Oldman tentatively cast in the title role.[26]
That's Herman Mankiewicz, the Citizen Kane screenwriter. Not sure this will be the next Fight Club or The Social Network. :D

·
Administrator
30,570 Posts
I was sure you wouldnt include Coen's as something new, but still, you can expect something fresh from them (perhaps more than Tarantino pastiche of hollywood). Nolan and Fincher are efficient in their works, they are pretty much the best "spielbergs" of the generation. They know what they are doing, but what they are doing is hardly new (the horror works of Peele and Ebert more challenging because they are of course in the genre bordeline and can do so, so is Villeneuve science fiction).

Perhaps Andy would be more interested on Noah Hawley works than you (Fargo and Legion show he works under Kubrick, David Lynch and Coen's influence), first reviews claim his Lucy in the Sky are "Over the top" in visuals and narratives, which is what they call when "authoral" directors do watever they want, Hawley certainly has his exagerations and of course, he has a lot to adjust or maybe he will just go full Lynch and scare all any audience. Anyways, by what it seems is a heavy feminist movie, not sure how balanced (in Legion he made the son of Professor X be a rapist) will be in the movie, but if reviews says Kubrick or Lynch went over the top, I get more curious, because it would mean they were not conventional. Just like Terry Gilliam Dom Quixote movie, seems like not good, but Gilliam at least is out of the box.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts