Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Batistuta hospitalised by horror clash

Sunday 14th April 2002

Roma striker Gabriel Batistuta's season went from bad to worse as the Argentinian had to be taken to hospital after being knocked unconscious following a collision with Parma defender Fabio Cannavaro.

A scan, though, showed that he has suffered no lasting damage.

Cannavaro caught Batistuta in the face as he went to clear a high ball on the edge of the Parma penalty area.

"Batistuta suffered a facial trauma with a short loss of consciousness," said the chief of Roma's medical staff Mario Brozzi.

"He went to the hospital immediately where he underwent a computerised axial tomography that showed no serious damage.

"He will spend the night in hospital only as a precaution."

The injury is just the latest blow in a disappointing season for Batistuta, who has been plagued with knee and thigh problems all season, and has managed just six goals in 19 games.

He has also seen Hernan Crespo replace him as first choice striker in the Argentina side and was at the centre of the brawl that marred the end of Roma's Champions' League encounter with Galatasaray in March.

"I know that there are some periods in life when everything goes wrong but I have never been through something like this," he said after succumbing to yet another injury last month.

"The worst thing is that I can't confirm my condition. This is the worst year in my career because many things are said and the only truth is that I have some problems in my knee."

·
Registered
122 Posts
I thought he was dead when he lied there on the gound unconscious:eek: :dazed:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
This just sucks.. now he will miss the friendly agaonst germany, thanks for nothing Cannavaro..

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
OMG! This is very bad for both Roma and Argentina. Poor lad, I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery...:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts