Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Batistuta gives Roma warning Friday 10 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gabriel Batistuta has reacted to transfer rumours by assuring if he’s not wanted then he will leave the Capital.

The tension has risen around Roma after President Franco Sensi confirmed he was in talks to take striker Adriano from Inter.

“This is a move that would make me happy,” assured Batistuta. “It means that the President still wants to win and is trying to reinforce what is already a competitive section of the squad.”

Batigol has not lived up to his nickname this season with only six Serie A goals compared to last year’s tally of 20.

Fabio Capello also pointed the finger of blame for their Scudetto failure squarely at the Argentine. “Until Vincenzo Montella returned from injury we had a real problem scoring goals,” said the Coach.

Nonetheless, the former Fiorentina star joked on suggestions he would be pushed onto the bench if Adriano arrives.

“No,” he smiled, “it will just mean we can afford to get injured every now and then.”

“This certainly does not mean that I will leave Roma,” he assured. “The transfer gurus of the club have not said anything about this.”

“If the club wants me then I will stay. I can still score a few goals and the people who understand football know I am of worth. If this should not be the case,” he added, “then there are other clubs that do want me.”

Among the sides asking for the Argentine international are Chelsea and Fulham.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Replacing Batistuta with a 19 year old inexperienced Adriano is not the right decision. There are better and more experienced strikers out there.

As for Batistuta, Chelsea would be a better destination than Fulham, imvho.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yeah, if Roma doens't want him, he should go wherever he's wanted..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts