Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two doing quite well at the moment. Idiakez at Derby, who I'm reliably informed have hit the bar or post 18 times this season (8 times more than any other team) with Idiakez being the most prolific post-hitter with 11.

And also see attched from the Daily Post which is a paper concentrating on Liverpool and North Wales:

Basque striker flying after his eight-goal haul Jan 24 2005

By Mark Currie, Daily Post

WREXHAM'S four-goal hero Juan Ugarte said results are more important than personal glory while the Dragons remain locked in a relegation battle.

But the 23-year-old former Real Sociedad striker was quick to point out that Saturday's haul was nothing new for him. "It's my second hat-trick in English football because I scored three playing for Dorchester in my first game for them," he said..

"And I've scored five before, playing for Real Sociedad reserves, and when I was in their youth team I once scored six."

On a more serious note Ugarte added: "I'm very happy the team played very well because we needed the win to climb up the table.

"I scored the goals but we must keep winning games and I'd be happy if I wasn't scoring but we were still getting results."

After taking his goal tally to eight from the last four matches, Ugarte said he was coming to terms with English football.

"I feel I've been creating chances but strikers have to score goals to keep their confidence going," he added.

"But I haven't set myself any targets because I only want to help Wrexham and make sure we stay in this division."

And the striker praised his team-mates for their response after going 1-0 down.

"We were playing better than them, although we didn't create too many clear-cut chances.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ugarte is a very good player, a quality striker. He had his debut for Erreala with Toshack but he had no luck afterwards with injuries... J.B. liked him very much, it´s funny that he´s ended playing in Wales, J.B.´s country. I´m happy to see that he´s succeeding there, I expect to see him in the Premier soon.
BTW, Fish, what do you Evertonians think about Arteta? I watched his last 2 games and my impression is that he´s having difficulties to to find his place and settle in. What do you think?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is dividing opinions. I thought he played well against Man Utd, after all he created our one and only chance. I, of course, am desperate for him to succeed. But people keep going on about how patchy (by the way, what does that mean in Euskera, I have a song on a mad CD I bought in Donibane Lohitzun called 'Patxi') he was at Rangers. I really think it is too early to judge him. He hasn't played enough league games yet and hasn't had a run in the team. I trust Moyes' judgement in signing him. Who am I not to? We were meant to get relegated and we're 4th going into March!

·
Registered
556 Posts
It´s absolutely true that he musn´t be judged yet, he deserves a run there, which he has not had here. That pass against Man Utd. was brilliant!! From what I´ve seen so far he may need someone stronger near to him but he needs a bit of time.
"Patxi" is a name, i.e. Patxi Puñal captain of Osasuna or Patxi Salinas, former Athletic and Celta player. It´s a very common name in Navarre.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, Arteta must have convinced the most skeptical Evertonians with his display on Saturday against Aston Villa. His passing was excellent and he was even closing down their midfielders better than I thought he was capable of. The trio of Cahill, Osman and Arteta played some great football.

Thomas who?

Oh and I forgot to mention, Idiakez hit the post twice again on Saturday. He's a hairs breadth away from being prolific that man.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Idiakez update. What a player. Scored two more goals against Wolves in a 3-3 draw. Managed to hit the post twice again too. He's an all rounder. You have to bear in mind that Derby were almost relegated last year (much like Everton were) and now they are 4th (can you see where I'm going here? Like Everton) thanks to Idiakez, Rasiak and Tommy Smith.

Still, I'm not keen on his dodgy hair highlights.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I´m happy to hear that :thumbsup: It´s good that our players are able to succeed abroad, but I´m telling you something, I´m glad to see him out of Erreala. He may be a good player for a Division 1 team but not for us. Obviously he´s got some strong points, he hits the ball very well but he makes the wrong decisions too often. Surely that fast, direct football in Division 1 suits him.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Idiakez scored again yesterday from a free-kick (Derby County 1 - Plymouth 0) and Juan Ugarte scored...5 goals!!! His team , Wrexham beat Hartlepool 4-6 away and he scored 5 of his team´s 6 goals. Fantastic!!! :shades:

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
For once i manage to watch an Everton game Arteta gets injured in the first minutes.... :wallbang: 0-0 by now in an entertaining match although I thought Everton was going to dominate more, open game.

As I write Blackburn scores.:eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Txupa, let me apologise on behalf of all Evertonians that you were subjected to such a poor display by Everton. Having said that, apart from this season, that is more or less what we've had to put up with since the Dome left us to joing Athletic in 1987. So count yourself lucky!

Thanks for the Arteta link Ipparalde. I think his injury is muscular and he now has a few weeks to get over it, as our next game is against the other lot on 20th March. I thought he played well before he was injured. And as I said, last week against Villa, he was superb.

Zorionak Idiakez (twice more against the woodwork as well as his goal!) and Ugarte. It is a shame for Wrexham that they were deducted 10 points for financial reasons or they might have made the play offs the way Ugarte is playing. I think he could keep them up.

Right, I'm off to find a bookmaker who will take money on the first player to hit the post in a match...

·
Fantasy Liga Txampion
11,971 Posts
Don´t worry Fish, Athletic´s first half was also horrible, at least Everton´s game was open and had chances.;) Please, answer my question about Moyes joining Athletic in the coaches thread.;)

BTW, are those numbers about Idiakez posts real?:eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Txupa, apologies mate, I hadn't seen the coaches thread, but thanks now you have given me another worry to add to my woes! Currently, everyone thinks that when he leaves he will go back to Celtic where he was a player, but as I seem to have his attention regarding scouring the Basque Country for players, maybe he would consider doing a Howard.

Seriously, this man is some coach to have turned around a lost cause such as Everton. Whether we play in the Champions League or not, just the fact that we are in the top half of the table is a minor miracle, so to be 4th in March is unbelievable. My preference for when he leaves - which he will eventually - would be for him to go and make Athletic great again, and maybe I'll start to suggest he take an interest in them in my next letter(s).

As long as he doesn't go to Alaves.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Forgot to say that the stats about Idiakez's prolific woodwork worrying are true!

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Fish said:
Forgot to say that the stats about Idiakez's prolific woodwork worrying are true!
:) Idiakez nearly broke the cross bar in half on saturday, he was given the ball completely free in the box, he could of just placed it past the keeper, but he had to absolutely smack it, if the keeper had got in the way i think it would have killed him ;)

Also Idiakez must be the best free kick taker in the World he hits them from anywhere and they go in, even when it looks like it must be a left footer, due to the ball being on the far right side of the pitch.

He's been fantastic to watch this season, he must be the favourite for the clubs player of the year. Hopefully we can get promoted this season, his skills deserve to be shown in the premiership, which was shown when we played Fulham in the FA Cup and he gave the Fulham players a lesson in football :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good luck to Derby in going up. As I've said before, the fact that both Derby and Everton were almost relegated last year and are now both 4th in their respective divisions should mean that Burley and Moyes are given manager of the season in these divisions.

I'd like him to get player of the year for Derby, but Rasiak and Smith are close too?

Look out for my ikurriña at future Derby County games as I've loaned it to a mate.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
Fish said:
Good luck to Derby in going up. As I've said before, the fact that both Derby and Everton were almost relegated last year and are now both 4th in their respective divisions should mean that Burley and Moyes are given manager of the season in these divisions.

I'd like him to get player of the year for Derby, but Rasiak and Smith are close too?

Look out for my ikurriña at future Derby County games as I've loaned it to a mate.
Yes, it looks like a 3 way between, Idiakez, Rasiak & Smith, one will get the fans player of the year, one will get the managers, and one will miss out. It's a tough call it will depend on who has the strongest finsih to the season.

And Yes Moyes and Burley for Managers of the season
:thmbup:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts