Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we decided to talk also about other things of Euskadi, I have a question. When I was in Spain, I watched ETB almost every day. There I saw two sports which I found very exciting. I will explain:

The first sport is the one were they launch a hard ball against a wall with some thing they have on their hand.

The other is like squash, but instead of rackets they have some sort of pad (?) in their hands.

What is the name of these sports and what do they mean in Euskadi.

:)
Prince

·
4,421 Posts
You are talking about Pilota!

Probably you seen different modalities of pilota, there are three main modalities:

Eskupilota: it is played with the hand, the most popular in Europe, (in spanish pelota mano).

Pala: It is played with a pad there are long pad and short pad.

Zesta: It is the most popular modality out of Europe called Jai Alai (merry festival) in the USA. It is the fastest sport in the world the ball can be shot at 180 mph, it is in the Guiness book.

apart from those there are other modalities: frontenis, trinkete, share...

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's probably what I meant. Are these sports very popular in Euskadi. Is it the national sport?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
From what my cousins in Bilbao tell me the Euzkadi national sport is trying to get some sex of their girlfriend! HAHA!

actually im not sure but pilota is pof Basque invention. there are many zesta players in the usa, especially in Miami AND in Milford, Conneticut.

·
4,421 Posts
Yeah, its our national sport, some people in Spain say that it isn't invented by Basques but most people say that it was invented by Basques there are old documents which prove it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts