Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
French television station Canal Plus has reported that Monaco goalkeeper Fabien Barthez has travelled to Old Trafford for a medical and is set to sign a six-year contract with Manchester United.
United spokeman Ken Ramsden has stated that the claims are wide of the mark but added he had heard Barthez had left the French national squad after yesterday's 2-0 friendly international victory against Croatia.

French Federation president Claude Simonet stated that Barthez had left the French camp in Zagreb and confirmed on the player's departure that he had left to "sort out his future".

Simonet said: "The transfer market is very busy right now and we have asked Doctor Campora (Monaco president) to take full responsibility for the player."

French manager Roger Lemerre has insisted that all French international players hoping to change clubs during the summer must sort out their futures before joining the Euro 2000 squad so as not to interfere with the World Cup winners' preparations.

Rumours have been rife that Barthez was ready to move from the principality for either an English or Spanish club with the transfer fee expected to be around £10million.

In recent months, the shaven-headed player had reiterated his desire to stay with Monaco. But his relationship with coach Claude Puel has deteriorated with the Monaco coach attacking the keeper's attitude in an end-of-season match against Marseille.

The signature of Barthez would represent a significant effort by Sir Alex Ferguson to solve his much-publicised goalkeeping problems. And, if the report is to be believed, the fee of £10m would take Fergie's attempts to replace Peter Schmeichel to an astonishing £18.5m.

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD
My MUFC Site : www.www.manutd.4ever.cc
My E-Mail : [email protected]

S

·
0 Posts
Well, we really need a good gollie and he's the man for sure.. What shall we do to Bosnich? Sell him off? i think he have played well especially throughout CL campaign.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What a GREAT NEWS...just as i thought man utd is going to get ulrich rame or sticking to bosnich......

Eventhough i would prefer a TOLDO transfer but wat the heck Barthez is only 10 million and he is great ....

·
Registered
394 Posts
ONLY 10 million!!!

This is why i can't understand why Sir Alex gets these awards. Yes, he is a good manager, but we ALL know that Barthez is a great goalie but many of us who support smallers club know that he will never play for us cause we cant afford him.

Does it make Alex a 'SIR' Alex cause he can afford to spend over 18million to replace a goalie??

·
NULLA E' IMPOSSIBILE
2,014 Posts
Manchester United are expected to announce the £10 million signing of French international goalkeeper Fabien Barthez today (Tuesday).
Barthez arrived in Manchester on Monday to finalise contract negotiations with chairman Martin Edwards and the 28-year-old is expected to sign a six-year deal worth around £45,000 a week.

Once he passes a medical United will be ready to unveil the man they feel can finally replace Peter Schmeichel. If the fee is £10m, it will set a new world record for a goalkeeper.

Sir Alex Ferguson tried to sign Barthez from Monaco last summer, but his then girlfriend, supermodel Linda Evangelista, did not want to move to the north west. The pair have since spilt up enabling Ferguson to finally get his man.

United spokeman Ken Ramsden originally played down claims of Barthez's arrival but later said: "It's true to say that discussions are underway, but nothing has been concluded yet and he certainly hasn't had a medical yet.

"We hope to progress further on Tuesday."

Barthez left the French national squad after Sunday's 2-0 friendly international victory over Croatia.

French Federation president Claude Simonet confirmed that the keeper had left the French camp in Zagreb to "sort out his future".

------------------
FORZA INTER !!!
FORZA INTER !!!
FORZA INTER !!!
My Inter Site: http://go.to/interm
Contact Me: [email protected]

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Manchester United are expected to announce the £10 million signing of French international goalkeeper Fabien Barthez today (Tuesday).
Barthez arrived in Manchester on Monday to finalise contract negotiations with chairman Martin Edwards and the 28-year-old is expected to sign a six-year deal worth around £45,000 a week.

Once he passes a medical United will be ready to unveil the man they feel can finally replace Peter Schmeichel. If the fee is £10m, it will set a new world record for a goalkeeper.

Sir Alex Ferguson tried to sign Barthez from Monaco last summer, but his then girlfriend, supermodel Linda Evangelista, did not want to move to the north west. The pair have since spilt up enabling Ferguson to finally get his man.

United spokeman Ken Ramsden originally played down claims of Barthez's arrival but later said: "It's true to say that discussions are underway, but nothing has been concluded yet and he certainly hasn't had a medical yet.

"We hope to progress further on Tuesday."

Barthez left the French national squad after Sunday's 2-0 friendly international victory over Croatia.

French Federation president Claude Simonet confirmed that the keeper had left the French camp in Zagreb to "sort out his future".

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD

A

·
0 Posts
djferros, he didn't get that title just because he spends money to buy players, if u bother to read, he got it due to his acievements with Man Utd...And before u post anything, please check your spelling man..It's Kily Gonzalez not Gonsalvez and Canizares not Canizires

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Manchester United have confirmed that World Cup winning goalkeeper Fabien Barthez has joined the Premiership champions from Monaco for £7.8m - a British record for a keeper.

United moved for Barthez in a bid to tighten up a defence which leaked 45 goals in the Premiership last season, 15 more than Chelsea, who finished fifth.

The 28-year-old put pen to paper on a six-year deal at Old Trafford on Wednesday afternoon following a protracted medical.

He was a member of France's World Cup-winning side in 1998, and his six-year deal means he is likely to become the instant first choice at Old Trafford.

He is clearly looking forward to the challenge, saying: "Schmeichel was a great, great goalkeeper and he played here for a very long time.

"I need to be strong but I don't find it daunting. I have played in a World Cup final and Champions League final before and nothing troubles me.

"I'm here to win and stay a long, long time and I'm so, so happy to sign a six-year deal. Everybody knows Manchester United are the big club, the big team and are very impressive."

His arrival will also cast doubt over the future of Australian goalkeeper Mark Bosnich, especially after manager Sir Alex Ferguson’s recent less than complimentary comments.

Fergie said: "The first thing which attracted me to Fabien is that he is an outstanding goalkeeper. But, after Peter Schmeichel, we needed a little bit more than that. Peter had a great presence and a wonderful personality which rubbed off on the rest of the team.

"Mark Bosnich and Raimond van der Gouw are both terrific keepers but neither have quite the personality which Schmeichel possessed.

"But Fabien has. He is a real character. He's bouncy and bubbly, just like Schmeichel was, and hopefully he is going to have a similar influence on the rest of the team."

In case you were wondering, the previous record British transfer fee was the £4.5m, paid by United, for Massimo Taibi, who signed from AC Venezia in August 1999.

The world record fee is held by another Italian, Angelo Peruzzi, who moved from Juventus to Inter Milan, for £10.5m in June 1999.

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mark Bosnich vowed on Thursday to see out his contract at Manchester United, unless the club decide to give him a free transfer.
The Australian goalkeeper was signed for free from Aston Villa under the Bosman Ruling last summer, but his position at United is in jeopardy following the arrival of French international Fabien Barthez for £7.8million.

World Cup winner Barthez is expected to be handed a first-team role after his move from Monaco, and Bosnich was quickly on the defensive to spell out his intention at Old Trafford by issuing a statement through his agent, Steve Kutner.

"There has been much speculation about my situation at Manchester United and I hope this clarifies my position," said the 28-year-old. "Manchester United signed me last summer on a free transfer to stop me signing for one of their major Italian rivals.

"When Manchester United inform me that I am free to leave under those same terms, I will do so. Until such time, I have three years remaining on my Manchester United contract and I intend to see them out."

Bosnich's vow will doubtless raise a few eyebrows at Old Trafford after his erratic form last season.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has scoured Europe for a replacement for Peter Schmeichel after the characterful Dane quit the club following their Treble success.

Italian Massimo Taibi proved an exquisite flop and Bosnich failed to win over his critics, although Ferguson would have been expecting to bring in a decent fee for the Australian was he to be sold.

However, Bosnich's statement casts a shadow over those hopes.

The former Villa star added: "Having won two major trophies and seen off previous challenges to my number one position, my performances in the crucial matches last season speak for themselves."

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD

D

·
0 Posts
A very good reserve keeper like Bosnich would always be benefitial to a club. Barthez will be no.1, no doubt about it. But should he get injured, Bosnich will be a very useful stand-in.

·
Registered
662 Posts
But undoubtly Bosnich will be doing all he can to get the No.1 shirt, and I think his ambition will not allow him to always be 'second best'.
After all Deportivo and Roma are interested in him...

------------------
-=KilledInAction=-

·
Darth Maul
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark Bosnich has accused Manchester United of stabbing him in the back following the signing of French star Fabien Barthez.

The Red Devils stopper insists that he turned his back on a £10 million (€15m) fortune when he had the chance to join Roma before pledging himself to United on a free transfer.

The Italian giants are once again showing an interest in the Aussie but he insists that he is going nowhere unless they allow him to exit Old Trafford on another free.

He said: "There has been much speculation about my situation and I hope this clarifies my position. Manchester United signed me last summer on a free transfer to stop me signing for one of their major Italian rivals.

"When United inform me that I'm free to leave under those same terms, I will do so. Until such time, I have three years left on my contract and I intend seeing them out.

And in a sideswipe at boss Sir Alex Ferguson, he insisted: "Having won two major trophies and seen off previous challenges for my number one position, my performances in crucial matches this season speak for themselves."

------------------
Glory Glory MAN UTD

F

·
0 Posts
Barthez was an excellent buy, But i don't think that the problem is the keeper. United's defence wasn't what it should be. Personally i'm happy about that, being a liverpool fan.

I think Stam is brilliant but if United had a partnership of Stam and Hyypia, then that would be impressive.

A keeper is only as good as his defense. Schmichael showed that this year at Sporting. Even though they won the title for the first time in 18 years. He was shocking sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts