Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goalkeeper Fabien Barthez's long-term future at Manchester United is again in serious doubt amid secret initiatives by manager Sir Alex Ferguson to recruit a potential replacement.

Within Old Trafford there is a growing concern that Barthez may be reluctant to return after his World Cup journey to Japan with France - a career option brought into sharper focus following United's Champions League elimination in midweek.

Ferguson has already quietly declared an interest in Derby County's Mart Poom and is prepared to make a bid once the Premiership season is over.

The 30-year-old Estonian knows of United's intentions and, at around £3.5m, is a tempting target as the club prepare for a summer of squad evaluation and reconstruction.

United chief executive Peter Kenyon, while refusing to detail any names, confirmed last night: 'I think we should anticipate activity in the weeks ahead. I will sit down with the manager and discuss our future plans.'

Poom has been identified as the favoured goalkeeping candidate, but the form of Turkey's No 1 Rustu Recber has also been monitored. Fenerbahce are prepared to discuss his departure for £4 million.

Barthez still has two years left on a United contract worth £56,000 a week, but it is understood he is considering an early exit to finish his career in France.

Soccernet

Well Barthez could be out. But i ask myself if he hadnt made a couple of vital mistakes this year, would that still be the case?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
i rate david james quite highly and it might even be worth making a bid for the likes of toldo or frey.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Total bollocks,if you ask me.Look at the namesbeing mentioned as possible replacements.:rollani:

Mart Poom???:eekani:Rustu Recber??:eekani:

Barthez has made some costly mistakes at the beginning of the season but now he has settled down andI feel that after a good WC,he'll be back to his best.:)

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
poom :eek: :confused:

why him??

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Is this news serious? Barthez being replaced by Poom or Recber?!?!??!? are they trying to improve the team or destroy the team???? Come on, I know Barthez has made some costly mistakes this season, but I think he has settled down now and still is one of the best goalkeepers around. If he really wants to leave Man U at the end of the season, then we should look for a good goalkeeper...not someone like Poom or Recber:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I certainly wouldnt replace him with Poom! Ive heard Recber is good though, hopefully someone can give us some info about him?..

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh God no!
Keep him. And Blanc. And Silvester. And The Nevilles. And Wes "Bobby Moore" Brown. Pleeeeeze!!!!:D :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rustu is a real good keeeper.. i think he is one of the best in europe...
he is much better than Barhtez....
if u never heard of him... find out about him and u would be amazed

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I wouldn't be sad if Barthez leaves, but Rüstü? Come on, you can't be serious!

·
Registered
547 Posts
There are rumours that Shay Given might be the man to take over from Barthez. Don't see why Given would want to leave Newcastle though.

·
International
9,526 Posts
playing for the biggest club in Britain might be one good reason;)

seriously, Barthez's girlfriend is said to have issued an ultimatum to Fabian. Leave Manchester, or she'll leave him.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Fab's been doing a good job at United but I wouldn't ming getting Given thoough.:)He's young,extremely talented,will have the experience of the World Cup,brilliant shot stopper and there's no doubt about his agility.

Its no surprise that he was voted as the Keeper of the season by his fellow professionals and I wouldnt mind having him here at all.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Its true that ManU are THE team to play for in England (especially if you're Irish given how many Irish ManU supporters there are) - but there's no real reason for leaving Newcastle now that they are in the Champions League.

BTW Is Barthez going out with Linda Evangelista or is that Karambeu??

·
Registered
172 Posts
Fellows, Toldo and Buffon are the two best goalkeepers in the world right now and they have been, although they are not leaving they're respective clubs.
Michael Landreau, U. Rame' and Alex Manninger had outstanding seasons in "Le Championnat" and in the "Serie A" respectively. Those 3 keepers right now in my opinion are has good if not better than Mr. Barthez. You also should take into consideration their favorable age.
I suggest to "Fergie" that he buys one of the previously aforementioned goalkeepers to challenge Barthez for the starting spot between the posts at Old Trafford next year.
Barthez will probably look good for France in the World Cup, therefore bringing a little competition for him in the summer, would only be a healthy situation, and probably good "PR" in the eyes of the United supporters.

·
International
9,526 Posts
Carmelo16 said:
Fellows, Toldo and Buffon are the two best goalkeepers in the world right now
why? They're good, don't get me wrong, but I don't consider them to be the best in the world. Dudek would be up there, and i reckon Seaman has had a good year too. Barthez ain't far away, although that lapse around Xmas didn't do his rep any good with a certain type of fan.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
landreau is a good prospect for the future, but you really need someone with bartez's experience. there aren't many keepers with such an impressive CV.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts