1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.liverpoolfc.tv
BAROS: I DIDN'T THREATEN TO WALK OUT
Paul Eaton 02 March 2005
Milan Baros has angrily denied threatening to walk out of the Liverpool camp before the Carling Cup final after being told he was going to start from the substitute's bench against Chelsea.
Australian midfielder Harry Kewell was selected ahead of Baros at the Millennium Stadium, leading to speculation that Liverpool's top scorer was considering refusing to go to the game. But Baros insists the rumours are completely untrue.

He said: "I was disappointed on Sunday because I play football so I can take part in great matches like this.

"All players want to play such great matches and I had played regularly before the Carling Cup final.

"But I didn't argue with anybody. That is nonsense. And it is a complete fabrication that I wanted to leave the Millennium Stadium. I would be going against myself if I came to such a decision.

"I was only disappointed and that is all. There is nothing more to say. The whole occasion is finished for me now."

Baros is now determined to forget about his Cardiff disappointment and help the Reds enjoy a successful conclusion to the season.

He added: "I know that I have only scored once since my return from injury, but physically I feel very well. I hope I will play against Newcastle.

"I am not thinking about leaving Liverpool right now. Everything is possible but that is not in my mind at the moment.

"There are still a lot of matches in the season and I have to concentrate on the games that are ahead of us."
Good to see Milan come out and say this amongst recent speculation of him leaving in the summer, although the quote i highlighted in bold is abit worrying "right now" & "at the moment"

TBH I don't no why everyone was complaining about Baros being unhappy about being left out, if he wasn't pissed off at not playing that's when I would be worrying- but atleast it shows he wants to play football and isn't happy at picking up a big wage bill for just sitting on his area.

If he does want to move on in the summer though, I wouldn't try and stop him seeming as his contracts running down and we don't want another Macca situation, it's already getting to the St. Mike situation, how longs Milan got left 18 months? We couldn't get no more then 5-10 million for him because of his contract situation IMO. Offer him a new contract in the summer if he doesn't accept, well...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I wouldn't be happy to see him go but is he really surprised to be only a sub on Sunday?!?!?!! Even when it was Baros and Cisse they used to be straight swap replacements as the striker. Why was Morientes picked ahead of him? Because Rafa is Spanish and Morientes is too! I would have played both, I was a bit puzzled as to why Morientes got the nod ahead of Baros as Chelsea are good in the air defensively with Terry and Carvalho so I'd have gone for Baros with pace and the ability to run at the defence.

Would he be whinging if he'd scored the winner on Sunday? Probably not

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I'm just glad that Baros didn't wait a sec to go out and re-buff all the rumors going on about a bust up.. He clearly wants to concentrate on his football..

As for what happens in the summer.. I kinda have the feeling it will be an interesting summer.. I expect things will happen on the investment front.. and lots of ins and outs.. But I don't want to jump to conclusions.. I want us to concentrate on this season first..

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Well said Yasir, my sentiments exactly too.

Personally, I think why Rafa might have preferred Moro is because his tendency to drop back and link up play, and his threat at setpieces. Rafa has already specified that he wanted to contain Chelsea, and try to get sth on the break. On paper, tactically it would not work well because ideally we'd want someone who can run with the ball to take the defenders on the break. However the thing is that Rafa realizes that if Baros were to be let loose at the Chelsea defence on the break, he might not have the attitude/tendency to wait for support from the attacking midfield. Rafa knows that Moro will not only wait, but will also cooperate and help set up play up front.

Personally, Rafa would prefer Baros because of his more advantageous physical qualities. However it is the risk of Baros might not stick to the plan that puts Moro on the team sheeet.

Of course, all the above is my opinion. :shades: :)

·
Banned
195 Posts
cadav said:
Morientes is not just a "ball header." He is also a class above Baros on the ground.
And youve based this on what?....... seeing Morientes sit with "class" on the Real Madrid Bench the last 3 years?
Or was it Morientes's class for the spanish NT which catapulted them into the knockout stages of a major competition?

Morientes was brought to Liverpool not because he is a worl class striker, he came to liverpool because his compratriot Rafa Benitez couldnt bring anyone else.
And the other advantage of bringing your own kind to the team you coach is the under the table commission you recieve .
Im just wondering, How much do you think Benitez pocketed from the tranfers of Xavi Alonso and Morientes?

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
REDHOT7 said:
And youve based this on what?....... seeing Morientes sit with "class" on the Real Madrid Bench the last 3 years?
Or was it Morientes's class for the spanish NT which catapulted them into the knockout stages of a major competition?
Morientes hasn't sat on the bench at Madrid for 3 years, he was on loan at Monaco last year not forgetting CL top goalscorer.
REDHOT7 said:
Morientes was brought to Liverpool not because he is a worl class striker, he came to liverpool because his compratriot Rafa Benitez couldnt bring anyone else.
And the other advantage of bringing your own kind to the team you coach is the under the table commission you recieve .
Well he is a world class player and there is no one better within our price range available, brilliant signing by Benitez :thumbsup:
REDHOT7 said:
Im just wondering, How much do you think Benitez pocketed from the tranfers of Xavi Alonso and Morientes?
It's Xabi Alonso not Xavi.

And why would Benitez get money for the transfer of Alonso and El Moro I don't get it?

·
Banned
195 Posts
Yasir said:
I'm just glad that Baros didn't wait a sec to go out and re-buff all the rumors going on about a bust up.. He clearly wants to concentrate on his football..

As for what happens in the summer.. I kind a have the feeling it will be an interesting summer.. I expect things will happen on the investment front.. and lots of ins and outs.. But I don't want to jump to conclusions.. I want us to concentrate on this season first..
I think I have a fair idea of what will happen in the summer...more useless Spaniards who dont make the difference will be brought to the team by Benitez and the once mightiest team i nEngland ( and Europe ) will underachieve .
Liverppol had their chances of getting a decent coach but they elected to go with Benitez, a coach who enjoyed the fruits of Hector Cuper labour at Valencia.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
REDHOT7 said:
I think I have a fair idea of what will happen in the summer...more useless Spaniards who dont make the difference will be brought to the team by Benitez and the once mightiest team i nEngland ( and Europe ) will underachieve .
Liverppol had their chances of getting a decent coach but they elected to go with Benitez, a coach who enjoyed the fruits of Hector Cuper labour at Valencia.
:rollani: aaww well that's our problem don't you worry your sen about it

Please, we don't mind criticism here but make it constructive not just pure mindless twoddle aimed to undermime Liverpool (makes it even worse that you're talking bullshit) take that to the ManU forum or go back to the Olympiakos forum and talk about how your great manager has took you to the Xth round of the Uefa Cup

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
REDHOT7 said:
Ermm...actually, do you have the goal-scoring record for Moro in international football? :)

He has a striking ratio almost similiar to Baros, and honestly, without Moro's goals (if I'm not mistaken), Spain wouldn't have qualified for the knockout stages of WC02. Not saying he's class, above the likes of Valeron and Xavi (Barca), but he is still important.

REDHOT7 said:
You are spot on, but you've missed out on a few other words at the end of the sentence. Let me finish it for you: " Morientes was brought to Liverpool not because he is a worl class striker, he came to liverpool because his compratriot Rafa Benitez couldnt bring anyone else who is of the same pedigree but is available at such a bargain price for his age." I think that's about right :shades:

REDHOT7 said:
:dielaugh: ok. Now I rate you in the same bracket as papa.

P.S: since when do managers get a percentage of transfer fees? :dielaugh: maybe in greece :pp

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
cadav said:
Morientes is not just a "ball header." He is also a class above Baros on the ground.
That's funny because I didn't say he was, I said Baros has pace and runs at the defence. We could have won the game on Sunday after Baros came on, Morientes is quality and I'd like to see them both start but they each add something different to the attack.

Essentially I believe a striker with pace will cause more trouble to the Chelski defence than any other type

·
Registered
302 Posts
Owzat said:
That's funny because I didn't say he was, I said Baros has pace and runs at the defence. We could have won the game on Sunday after Baros came on, Morientes is quality and I'd like to see them both start but they each add something different to the attack.

Essentially I believe a striker with pace will cause more trouble to the Chelski defence than any other type

I disagree. I think Moro's brilliant football brain is more of a danger to the Chelski defence than Baros' fleet feet are.

·
Registered
302 Posts
REDHOT7 said:

Read this thread you ignorant twat:

http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151013&highlight=Fernando+Morientes

Looks like the fans feel he wasn't good enough to play for Real, eh?
:eekani:

Politics kept him on the bench, not any lack of skill on his part. He is a class striker.

He is FAR better than any player on your crap team.

·
Banned
195 Posts
Which team are you refering too ? ...the Greek NT which humbled "Moro ns " Spanish NT in Spain going on to win the Euro 2004 or are you talking about Olympiakos who has a world cup winner Rivaldo on their roster and comfortably beat Liverpool in Greece ( score should have been 4-0 you did not create 1 chance, we hit the post 2 times).
Now I know our silly coach resurected your team in Anfield, conceding 3 goals in 45 minutes because of hs poor tactics but I suggest some of you think before you post.....My team or should I say my teams have world cup and Euro cup winners in their teams .....what do your teams have?
My teams are better than yours right now so when you use the word "crap " to describe my team that is a very big call.
And by the way...Liverpool are my 2nd team.....a distant 2nd from Olympiakos.However some of you are blinded and do not accept the mistakes Liverpool management has made.
Is Morientes better than Owen?
Just havea good think about that and then you may just realise that Liverpool in the last few years has been going backward.
Roy Evans was shafted at Liverpool by the frog, yet under Evans Liverpool played the most Attractive football in England.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Skipper Gerrard said:
I disagree. I think Moro's brilliant football brain is more of a danger to the Chelski defence than Baros' fleet feet are.
As I say I would like to have seen both but since so few goals have been scored against Chelski, including by us and when Morientes was on the pitch so long I guess we'll never know.

Of course you can blame anything for players not scoring, bad luck, lack of support, lack of supply................

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
REDHOT7 said:
Which team are you refering too ? ...the Greek NT which humbled "Moro ns " Spanish NT in Spain going on to win the Euro 2004
In one sentence you were talking abt playing great football and then in this sentence you defend a team that choked eevry other team to death. And the you go on to speak about class of players/teams. If there is one word to describe what you've just done, its bias.

I have just established that Moro is not as classy as some other spanish players who are clearly the flag bearers of their teams. A 1-1 result with Spani having everything going for them except the goals is HARDLY a humbling result.

REDHOT7 said:
or are you talking about Olympiakos who has a world cup winner Rivaldo on their roster and comfortably beat Liverpool in Greece ( score should have been 4-0 you did not create 1 chance, we hit the post 2 times).
We may have struggled to beat you at Anfield, but we still put three past you. Actually 4 in fact, if not for the ref's decision that Baros fouled our defender. But then again, IF NOT. As was your case, SHOULD have scored 3 more goals at greece. SO you are rather proud of that Greece performance, fine. But we are proud of the result that got us into the knockout stages of UCL. We got the result when it mattered, you guys didn't.

So Rivaldo is in Olympiakos, and you've got EURO2004 winners in your team. Hey know what? WHy not you just drop by UEFA and take the trphy home. Certainly the likes of Juventus, Barcelona & Chelsea don't deserve to win the UCL, because they only have 2 world cup winners in their teams.

How many teams were after Rivaldo's signature after his departure from Milan? Moro's supposedly lack of class still commanded him a 6 million Euro price tag, Rivaldo's classs apparently put many clubs away except your club, who before then, had only Giovanni, a Barca reject as a top player to be proud of. Now don't come out and give names of Greek players who won the EURO, eevryone knows that it was a team effort rather than an individually inspired one. If ever there was one man who inspired Greece to the EURO2004, it wasn't a player and it was King Otto.

This is by no means an attack on Rivaldo, but an attack to your arguments and claims saying that by virtue of having Rivaldo and EURO2004 winners, you are not a crap team, and are better than us in a few aspects. Mind you, for our crap team, we have one of the best defensive records in the UCL group stages, conceeding only 3 goals.

REDHOT7 said:
Now I know our silly coach resurected your team in Anfield, conceding 3 goals in 45 minutes because of hs poor tactics but I suggest some of you think before you post.....My team or should I say my teams have world cup and Euro cup winners in their teams .....what do your teams have?
so now its the coaches fault. What ever happened to the WORLD CUP WINNERS AND EURO WINNERS you had in your team? Every coach would feel safe with those winners in their teams right?

So when its abt your team being better than another, its because of the players you have. But when you team lost and didn't play well, its the coaches fault. Sheesh.

REDHOT7 said:
However some of you are blinded and do not accept the mistakes Liverpool management has made.
Name me one person in this forum who does not agree with Parry holding out for too long in the investment issue, or how badly Houllier managed his tactics, or how Evans couldn't get the team going, or how Souness lost the plot. Name me one.

REDHOT7 said:
On technical ability, heading, holding up play, linking up play with attacking midfielders, goal-scoring record, both at club & international level and finally trophies won, yeah...I'd say Moro's better as a player.

Not saying St. Mike's not a good & important player for us back then, but we're talking abt now. Come on, if Moro was up for 3 million Euros and no one wants to buy him, I won't be surprised if Olympiakos snapped him up anyway.

REDHOT7 said:
Just have a good think about that and then you may just realise that Liverpool in the last few years has been going backward.
Roy Evans was shafted at Liverpool by the frog, yet under Evans Liverpool played the most Attractive football in England.
:dielaugh: we don't need someone like you to come out and tell us that we are going backwards, since Souness and Evans were in charge. It was quite obvious to many of us who has liverpool as their DISTANT 1st TEAM.

Evans' Liverpool played the most entertaining footie in England? I think the teams of Man Utd and Newcastle at the time would beg to differ.

Now here we MIGHT have another "fan" whose never satisfied. Roy Evans played well but didn't get results and he might be screaming that we couldn't get results. Then when Houllier came over and got us results, now he says we don't play attractively.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
302 Posts
REDHOT7 said:
Which team are you refering too ? ...the Greek NT which humbled "Moro ns " Spanish NT in Spain going on to win the Euro 2004 or are you talking about Olympiakos who has a world cup winner Rivaldo on their roster and comfortably beat Liverpool in Greece ( score should have been 4-0 you did not create 1 chance, we hit the post 2 times).
My teams are better than yours right now so when you use the word "crap " to describe my team that is a very big call.
And by the way...Liverpool are my 2nd team.....a distant 2nd from Olympiakos.However some of you are blinded and do not accept the mistakes Liverpool management has made.
Just havea good think about that and then you may just realise that Liverpool in the last few years has been going backward.

I can't believe how bitter you are about having crashed out of Europe.

Your team lost, my team won, end of story.

Now run along you aren't contributing ANYTHING and just continually keep getting your ass handed to you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts