Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looked like no one was interested in Bari and their destiny was the failure but yesterday 4 different financial groups tried to buy them in the third auction, after two auction without offerers. In the end the one leaded by the former Barese referee Paparesta (the one who became famous for being locked in the locker room by Moggi) won the auction and bought Bari for 4.8 million euros. Rumors are that Indians or Russians could be linked to Paparesta.
Bari, the team, have won 5 games in a row and will very likely qualify to the playoffs for promotion to serie A. The promotion to serie A would give 15-20 million euros to the club in terms of TV rights, which would explain the sudden interest of 4 different financial groups to the third auction after the absence of them in the previous two auctions.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
That's quite a turnaround indeed. I'd like to see Bari back in Serie A, they have a good fan base and would make the geographical divide a bit more balanced.

Too bad they're stuck with the most absurd stadium in Europe. Maybe it looks cool from a helicopter, but the reality is that for football it's an over-sized inconvenient piece of crap and that doesn't change one bit because it was drawn by a famous architect. A stadium that has hosted WC games and a European cup final but which has still been never sold out. Not once. There were loads of bad decisions made for the 90 WC but the San Nicola must be the worst of them all...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Paparesta! He is the guy on Premiumcalcio…

I'm glad they found a buyer. Bari is a great city with a good fan base and decent enough stadium (been there once…looks cool). It would be a shame for them to fail especially since what you mentioned Toni about the recent form and possibility of returning to Serie A

·
Registered
45,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's quite a turnaround indeed. I'd like to see Bari back in Serie A, they have a good fan base and would make the geographical divide a bit more balanced.

Too bad they're stuck with the most absurd stadium in Europe. Maybe it looks cool from a helicopter, but the reality is that for football it's an over-sized inconvenient piece of crap and that doesn't change one bit because it was drawn by a famous architect. A stadium that has hosted WC games and a European cup final but which has still been never sold out. Not once. There were loads of bad decisions made for the 90 WC but the San Nicola must be the worst of them all...
Delle Alpi... costs increased to unbelievable levels and demolished after just 20 years.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
Delle Alpi... costs increased to unbelievable levels and demolished after just 20 years.
True, that...although San Nicola would also be at least abandoned if Bari had money for a new stadium.

Delle Alpi was a disastrous project but at least it generally made sense to build a big stadium in Turin. But an almost 60,000 seater in Bari of all places...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
All countries that are 'awarded' the World Cup revamp their stadia. 24 years wouldn't make any of these new or state-of-the-art, but what exactly was the cause for so many to be at such levels of needing replacement? I imagine having the city owning the grounds could have some explanation.. Does anyone have specific breakdowns, or know of anywhere I can read about it?

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
The stadiums are outdated now, but they were already outdated less than ten years after they were built, which is definitely not the case with, say, German stadiums. Many of the stadiums, like San Nicola and San Paolo, are not only badly designed but also badly dilapidated, because there's no money for the necessary renovations. Hell, there doesn't even seem to be money to clean the stadiums half of the time.

So cities owning the grounds is one huge problem, of course, but the main problem was that the stadiums were built or revamped at the worst possible time. San Nicola, for example, wasn't initially supposed to have a running track but CONI insisted on it having one. In the late 80s the general idea was that these stadiums cannot be built exclusively for football. So as a result most stadiums are terribly designed for football, they are too big, and the spectators are way too far from the action.

Then there was of course the whole process of building the stadiums and money just disappearing everywhere. But that's too long a story to tell here.

But also there have been many changes in how the public is served at stadiums. When the Italian stadiums were built, football was totally different as an entertainment business. For a long time, it was the same everywhere in the world, stadiums were built with few vending points, few toilets, small uncomfortable seats (Marassi must have the worst ones I've ever tried), cramped corridors, no luxury boxes, bad public transport connections. These things have developed a great deal since then. The 90 WC came at a bad time...I remember a lot of journalists marveling about the level of the stadiums at the time. That's how it was seen then. But times have changed and the stadiums haven't.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Awesome info guys... Thanks! I'd love to read more if anyone else has experience with any of the stadiums.

Not just XYZ stadium experience sucks, but what was done wrong initially, what went wrong since then, what needs to be fixed, what is still good etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Awesome info guys... Thanks! I'd love to read more if anyone else has experience with any of the stadiums.

Not just XYZ stadium experience sucks, but what was done wrong initially, what went wrong since then, what needs to be fixed, what is still good etc.
Well I can only really speak for Chievo but I would personally love a smaller, more intimate stadium for us. Our average attendance is only around 10,000 so ideally I would like a stadium with around 20,000 seats which allows for growth and potentially high-attendance matches, whilst also providing us with more income. It'll probably never happen though.

The Bentegodi is OK. The view from the curva sud isn't great because there is a running track, and even from along the sidelines the view isn't perfect because it's so far from the pitch, which is a problem a lot of the older stadiums in Italy have. The running track ruins the atmosphere in my opinion, at the San Siro for example it feels like you're practically on the pitch.

Other than that, there aren't any real problems to be honest. It's just very old feeling.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Yeah they've really come from nowhere not so long ago they looked consigned to Lega pro.Amazing how things can change so quickly,they've been on such an excellent run.Bari are a side/club i don't mind I grew up a lot watching them remembering the likes of Platt,Farina,Joao Paolo,Maiellaro,Tovalieri,Protti etc etc.

No doubt the San Nicola has a special place being one of those stadiums that really lit up in italia 90:proud:.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Protti, De Ascentis, Sala, De Rosa. Reminds of a Milan nite cracker. Bari 3 - 5 Milan. Savicevic got 4..

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
I remember when Bari beat Bologna many years back 4-0 at the San Nicola and Maiellaro scored that real cracker from the half way mark:).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts