Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost I would like to say FORZA AC MILAN, it's time to win a scudetto!!! However I have a question regarding two of AC Milan's greatest players. I would like to know who do you guys consider the best out of the two Paolo Maldini vs Franco Baresi???

Compare and Contrast careers

Sao Paolo Maldini "Il Capitan"- 24 Serie A goals, 126 Capps (record) for Italy 7 goals for national squad, and 2 Goals in the CHampions League. Selected by FIFA as the greatest Left Back of all-time!!!

Until now he has won 6 Italian SerieA titles (87-88,91-92,92-93,93-94,95-96,98-99), 3 Championship Leagues(88-89,89-90,93-94), 2 Toyota Cups (1989,1990), 3 UEF Supercups, and Italian Super Cups (87-88,91-92,92-93,93-94)
In National tournaments, Paolo played in 4 World Cups Italy '90 (third place), USA '94 (second place), France '98 (quarterfinals) and Korea-Japan'02 (second round). In addition, he also played 3 European Championships: Germany '88 (semifinals), England '96 (first round), Belgium-Holland 2000(second place).

Paolo 's popularity is no doubt as he was the first defender to win WORLD SOCCER's World Player of the Year: 1994 ,which puts him in the same class of Platini, Rossi, and Zico.

Franco Baresi- WOrld Cup winner in 82 (did not play), Champion - 16 Serie A goals, 81 capps for the national side 1 goal . 6 x Serie A Championship
1978-1979, 1987-1988, 1991-1992, 1992-1993, 1993-1994, 1995-1996.
3 x European Cup : 1988-89, 1989-90, 1993-94
3 x European Super Cup : 1989, 1990, 1994
2 x Intercontinental Cup : 1989, 1990

After comparing both careers, I my opinion I would have to consider Paolo Maldini the best out of the two. Paolo Maldini was voted by the fans, and by FIFA as the greatest left back of all-time. Rivaled only by Roberto Carlos, and Nilton Santos. However still people consider him the greatest in his position period. On the other hand, Franz Beckenbauer, Bobby Moore, Daniel Passarella, are key players who over shadow Baresi. I'm not sure about Passarella but definitly Beckenbauer and Moore. Nonetheless Baresi was a great warrior and with out a shadow of a doubt one of the greatest defenders of all-time, but Sao Paolo Maldini I belive will always be one step above him. Your views and comments?

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
You can use all the statistics in the world, but that will not change one thing: there will always be one and only Capitano! Franco Baresi is Milan and his influence has been greater to that of San Paolo. Don't get me wrong: i'm as big a fan of San Paolo as you can find, but we have to look at things in a broader perspective. What Franco did to Milan, no one did: NO ONE! He stuck with us during those bad and unfortunate days of Serie B while he had offers from Juve who were at the time, the best team in the World with half of Italy's NT who were World Champs; Franco stuck, elegantly turning down all the offers. He was our captain at the early age of 21 or 22. He was in the team that won us, la stella the Star, meaning our 10th Scudetto in the 78-79 season.

Franco Baresi has been given a multitude of nick names, but the one that struck me me the most is this one: Mahatma to compare him with the Great and Legendary Gandhi for his coolness, intelligence in reading the game, his charisma, his impact and importance on the team. It's not for nothing that his jersey has been retired, a unique fact in the world of football!!! Not also for nothing that he has been universely hailed as the best ever defender!!!Paolo may be the best ever left back, but Franco is simply the best ever defender and Paolo is Franco's student. End of discussion.

As to this Internet Fifa poll, i personally do not put too much importance into it as most of the voters are youngsters under the age of 20 who have not seen the great Franco. Comparing San Paolo to Franco is almost a sacrilege!:dazed:

FORZA IL CAPITANO PER SEMPRE!
FORZA SAN PAOLO!

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Well I'm 17 and I have seen Baresi play a lot of times. Since 1992 approx I can remeber. And, well, even if their ages where different, Maldini and Baresi have played together, and if it comes to only playing skills (not their loyalty or their influence or all that) Maldini seems a better, more complete, player to me. His physical attirubutes are better, he´s quite taller and more athetic, and he was a fullback so he has attacking skills too. And he has played both left and center defense.
But seeing them both at the same, on the same defense shows that all those out field skills are so important. Maldini was one else under his command on that legenedary defence, maybe the best one but Franco was the captain there, he was the true one.
It is like comparing Nesta and Maldini now, you know that Nesta might be playing at a better level now, but Maldini is the one that actually puts everything where it's supposed to be.
So my vote goes to:devil:Baresi :devil: with the t t-shirt out of the shorts (never got ayellow card for that). I don´t know if he´s the best central defender ever, but he´s our best defender at least.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I have never properly seen Baresi play. At that tmie when i started watching Milan, i didnt really analyze the defenders of anyteam, so whatever Baresi, Maldini did i didnt really notice that much. I was focused on the attacking players. Slowly when i began to analyze different positions, at that time Baresi was like finishing his playing days, and so was making lots of defensive mistakes, so i cant say anything about Baresi because i havent seen him in his best playing days. What i hear and from what little i saw that he is a defensive legend, a Milan and Italy legend, even Nesta(one of the best defenders in the world) said Baresi was his idol. So from that he must be good
Maldini, on the other hand, is a great complete left back player also capable of playing in the centre. Always leads from the front. When he is down, Milan is down, when he is up, Milan is up.
So for me Maldini has been better, but that can be biased because i havent seen Baresi at his best.

·
Banned
302 Posts
you kidding me:rolleyes: maldini and baresi:confused:

take our great maldini, multiply by 5 and you get baresi.

in my whole life i have never seen anyone like baresi, he was just perfect, from skills to attitude on the match to the love and passion he gave to the team, the supporters, the management, and to his beloved team. it can't be described. i suggest that if you didn't see this legend play go out and buy some video of him and you will surely be amazed. currently there is no one even close to what he was like. even vanbasten when he won the golden ball said that he thought baresi was going to win it and was amazed that it came to him and to to el capitano.
i remember in this game, he injured his hand, continued to play, and after it said to the coaches that it was nothing, and we will sleep over it and the pain will go away. anyway, it turned out after the xrays that it was broken:eek:
he would intercept passes, tackle, fall then recover the ball in seconds and start a counter attack that would help us score. without baresi you could easily forget our golden years, in the 80s and 90s. sure there were other legends, but his impact on the team overshadowed everyone.
if you think i am exaggerating, well i am not, just look for yourself

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Il Capitan Maldini!!!

His finest individual performances were in the 1994 season. With BARESI and
Costacurta suspended from the European Cup final, Maldini was switched from
his usual role of left back to central defence and gave a masterful display
as Milan massacred Barcelona in Athens. Equally superb for Italy during
the summer's World Cup Maldini became the first and so far only defender to
win the prestigious World Soccer Player of the Year award.

At his peak he was unquestionably the best full back in the World. Sensational
pace, a tremendous, clean tackler, superb in the air and most famous for
his devastating runs into attack. The defender with the movie star looks
was a legend by his mid twenties (that's no exaggeration) having helped Milan
to two league championships and two successive European Cups,
Intercontinental Cups and European Super Cups.

Franco Baresi was without a shadow of a doubt one of the greatest ever, in his position but not the GREATEST ever. However Paolo is the greatest ever, in his postion and let's face he could play in Baresi's position any time he wants and perform as equally or even better then Baresi.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
you have to remember that maldini had baresi as a mentor, he got to play next to him for so many years and that helped forge the player he became. also, maldini struggled after baresi retired, he was not at the top of his game for the better part of two years and thats a considerable amount of time. baresi provided the organizational leadership for the defence which is a role that maldini doesnt play.

as far as baresi not being the greatest ever in his position, of course opinions vary but then who is the greatest? beckenbauer has a claim but defenders progressed much since his time and were probably better on the average.

also, if were going to face it, lets do so and realize that maldini cannot play centreback whenever he wants to and certainly could not perform on the same level as baresi and without a shadow of doubt could not perform better.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
i should add, that i really cant believe that anybody who saw them both throughout their careers could say maldini was better. also, maldini is a symbol of milan, no doubt, but for milanisti that have been so through the baresi years, we all know that baresi was a bigger symbol to the club and thats why #6 is never to be worn by another milan player.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GOOD POINT!!!

BUT Maldini is still actively playing, and he is still actively scoring goals!!! I bet after he retires, NUMBER # 3 will be retired also!!!

I've seen Baresi make more mistakes at the age of 34, then Maldini making mistakes through out his entire career.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
his number wont be retired, milan have already said that they wont continue retiring numbers as its unrealistic. whether or not his number wouldve been retired is a different story though.

i didnt see baresi make more mistakes at thirty-four than maldini has in his whole career, now youre exaggerating. however for arguments sake, lets say thats true - do you then judge baresi for what he did in the twilight of his career?

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
his number wont be retired, milan have already said that they wont continue retiring numbers as its unrealistic. whether or not his number wouldve been retired is a different story though.

THIS IS CRAP!!! I was not aware of such thing, however if it's true then this is BULL$HIT!!! It's degrading that's what it is!!! Il Capitan of Italy 126 capps, and the soul and heart of AC MILAN!!!

The truth is, Baresi could not win without Maldini. Maldini might win without Baresi...It all depends after this season...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
this is getting ridiculous now. youve obviously never seen baresi play and have no clue what youre talking about. your last sentence proves that.

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Dagoods,
Please spare us your lame comments on something you have absolutely no clue as it shows clearly on your comments. Again, please remember that once and for all: FOOTBALL IS NOT A SCIENCE! FOOTBALL IS NOT ALL ABOUT STATS!

Let me guess, what will be your next thread Dagoods: Van Basten vs Bierhoff? :rollani:

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ban Vasten vs Bierhoff

NOT a chance San Siro, Ban Vasten vs Bierhoff please!!!

how about Ronaldo vs Van Basten- NAH that's an easy one, ROnaldo by far. HOwever let's get back to the main topic here.

If anything Baresi won a WC in 82 Maldini didn't. They are pretty much match in Scudettos, and Champions league because mainly they played together. HOwever I'm referring to the skill, to the talent, Maldini is the greatest in his position NO BUTS no IFS on that. According TO THE FIFA FAMILY now these people are not teenagers, instead these people know their soccer, they have seen GREATS and many other LEGENDS through out the years, and here is what they have to say;

Placar Magazine (1983)
Yashin - Djalma Santos, Bobby Moore, Beckenbauer, Nílton Santos - Cruijff, Bobby Charlton - Garrincha, Pelé, Di Stéfano, Puskas
Italian FA (1988)
Banks - Leandro Andrade, Bobby Moore, Beckenbauer, Nílton Santos - Cruijff, Meazza - Garrincha, Pelé, Maradona, Puskas
FIFA World Cup All-Time Team (1993/94)
Yashin - Djalma Santos, Bobby Moore, Beckenbauer, Breitner - Cruijff, Bobby Charlton, Platini - Garrincha, Pelé, Puskas
Planète Foot Magazine (1996)
Yashin - Franco Baresi, Beckenbauer, Paolo Maldini - Cruijff, Platini, Van Basten - Gerd Müller, Pelé, Di Stéfano, Maradona
100 Magnifici (Venerdì Magazine) (1997)
Yashin - Carlos Abelrto, Beckenbauer, Paolo Maldini - Cruijff, Meazza, Schiaffino - Garrincha, Pelé, Di Stéfano, Maradona
FIFA Century Selection (1998)
Yashin - Carlos Alberto, Bobby Moore, Beckenbauer, Nílton Santos - Cruijff, Platini - Garrincha, Pelé, Di Stéfano, Maradona
Voetbal International (1999)
Yashin - Carlos Alberto, Beckenbauer, Rijkaard, Paolo Maldini - Di Stéfano, Cruijff, Maradona - Garrincha, Pelé, Gento
FIFA World Cup Dream Team (2002)
Yashin - Paolo Maldini, Beckenbauer, Roberto Carlos - Maradona, Zidane, Cruijff, Platini - Roberto Baggio, Pelé, Romário
OVERALL FIFA All-Time TEAM (2002)
Yashin - Carlos Alberto, Bobby Moore, Beckenbauer, Paolo Maldini - Cruijff, Platini - Garrincha, Pelé, Di Stéfano, Maradona

As of a Result Franco Baresi was only chose once in 96, among with Maldini in the all-time team, however Paolo Maldini was selected in the all-time team and he will forever remain there.

Maldini has scored more goals, and more capps then Baresi, moreover he is consider by the FIFA FAMILY superior then Baresi other wise why not place Baresi in the all-time team???

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Why Ronaldo by far,
Marco van Basten has led Milan to many championships and success in Europe. What has Ronaldo done for his club. Marco also has 3 European footballers of the year compared to Ronaldos 1. Ronaldo and MVB both haveWFOTY by 2 So overall its MVB 5 to Ronaldo 3. Dont bring in WC into this, because then your argument about Maldini and Baresi will also be false because Baresi has won a WC and Maldini hasnt
Just read MVBs stats

European Championship: 1988
European Cup: 1989, 90, 94
Cup Winners Cup: 1987
World Club Championships: 1989, 90
European Super Cup: 1989, 90, 94
Dutch Championship: 1982, 83, 85.
Dutch Cup: 1983, 86, 87.
Italian Championship: 1988, 92, 93, 94.

Can Ronaldo match this. He cant. Dont bring in Ronaldos WC

Overall, MVB kicks Ronaldos butt.

·
DAGOODS = RATINGS
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL

With Cruzeiro :
Mineiro Championship Top scorer (1994),Brazilian Cup (1993), Super Copa Top scorer (1994), Mineiro Championship (1994).

With PSV Eindhoven :
Dutch Cup Top scorer (1996),Dutch Championship Top Scorer (1995), Dutch Cup (1996).

With Barcelona :
Latin American Player of the Year in Spanish League (1997),FIFA Player of the Year (1996), Spanish Super Cup (1996), Spanish League Top scorer (1997), UEFA Cup Winner's Cup (1997), European Player of the Year (1997).

With Inter Milan :
UEFA Cup (1998), FIFA Player of the Year (1997),European Player of the Year (1998), European Forward of the Year (1998),Italian League Foreign Player of the Year (1998), Italian League Player of the Year (1998), World Cup Golden Ball (1997)

With Brazil :
Conmebol U-17 Championship (1991), South American Championship U-19 (1993), FIFA World Cup (1994), Runner-up with Brazil in the American Cup (1995), UMBRO Cup (1995),Bronze medallist with Brazil at the Olympic Tournament (1996), FIFA/Confederation's Cup (1997),American Cup(1997), Best Striker & footballer of World Cup France (1998), American Cup (1999),FIFA World Cup 2002,Top scorer 2002

AND HAS TIED KING PELE'S 12 GOALS in WC tournament, how did Van Basten scored???? NONE!!!

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
LOFL

You are counting everything, including his birth, when mentioning his cups, i havent even mentioned many others thigns MVB might have won, including individual League players of the years and top scorers, Believe me he has won a few of those too. Latin American player of the year in Spain(do u actually think that award counts). Its not even applicable to MVB.

MVB: 3 Dutch championships
Ronaldo 0 Dutch Championships

MVB: 3 Dutch Cups
Ronaldo : 1 Dutch Cup

MVB: 4 Italian leagues championships
Ronaldo: 0

MVB:3 European Cups(now known as CL)
Ronaldo:0

MVB: 2 World Club Championships
Ronaldo:0

MVB:3 European player of the year
Ronaldo: 1

MVB:2 WFOTY
Ronaldo 2 WFOTY

MVB: 1Fifa World Footballer:(it started in 91, he would have won a few had it started earlier)
Ronaldo:2

Dont count national teams, because if you compare WCS or national teams, than Baresi is better than Maldini as he has won the world cup

I dont have time know to find MVB other minute awards.
But as you can see above MVB rocks, in personal awards and European domination

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Here are more detailed statistics

Ronaldo

1 x Brazilian Cup : 1994
1 x Dutch Cup : 1995-1996
1 x Spanish Cup : 1996-1997
1 x Cup Winners Cup : 1996-1997
1 x UEFA Cup : 1997-1998
2 x Copa America : 1997, 1999
1 x Dutch League Top Scorer : 1994-1995
1 x Spanish League Top Scorer : 1996-1997
1 x Copa America Top Scorer : 1999
2 x FIFA World Player of the Year : 1996, 1997
1 x European Footballer of the Year : 1997
2 x World Soccer Player of the Year : 1996, 1997

MVB

3 x Dutch Championship : 1981-1982, 1982-1983, 1984-1985
3 x Dutch Cup : 1982-1983, 1985-1986, 1986-1987
3 x Serie A Championship : 1987-1988, 1991-1992, 1992-1993
1 x Cup Winners Cup : 1986-1987
2 x European Cup : 1988-1989, 1989-1990
2 x European Super Cup : 1989, 1990
2 x Intercontinental Cup : 1989, 1990
1 x European Championship : 1988
4 x Dutch League Top Scorer : 1983-1984, 1984-1985, 1985-1986, 1986-1987
2 x Serie A Top Scorer : 1989-1990, 1991-1992
1 x Golden Boot (European Top Scorer) : 1985-1986
1 x European Championship Top Scorer : 1988
1 x FIFA World Player of the Year : 1992
2 x World Soccer Player of the Year : 1988, 1992
3 x European Footballer of the Year : 1988, 1989, 1992

HOWS THAT

Dont bring in the senseless Latin player of the year, and Foreign player and such ****, new awards are being introduced everyday, and most of them were not even in mVB time
The awards that do matter are the ones mentioned above. Just compare

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
the ronlado of 1995-1997 rapes van basten anyday im sorry guys van basten was an azming striker bur ronnie during this time was well a freak..he was the best striker i ever saw and if any of u say different then i urge u to watch him at barca and his 1st season at inter

1 - 20 of 122 Posts