• Undecided

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a thread like this in the European football forum, but here we could have more opinions about it...

Which team was better? The Dream Team of 1992 or the Ajax of 1995?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
If Ajax '95 remained together, there is no reason why they wouldn't have won more than just the one CL title.

Unbelievable team, the players have been playing together since the academy days when they were just 11, 12.

As a team they were just about as good as any I have ever seen. I think they went 72 matches unbeaten in the Dutch league as well, and conceded something like 18 goals in that tiime.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Politician said:
If Ajax '95 remained together, there is no reason why they wouldn't have won more than just the one CL title.

Unbelievable team, the players have been playing together since the academy days when they were just 11, 12.

As a team they were just about as good as any I have ever seen. I think they went 72 matches unbeaten in the Dutch league as well, and conceded something like 18 goals in that tiime.
Yes, they were an amazing team, but the Dutch league was very weak. I wonder how they would have done in Spain or Italy.

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Ajax 95, but it's very close.

Setzer said:
Yes, they were an amazing team, but the Dutch league was very weak. I wonder how they would have done in Spain or Italy.
I'm not saying Ajax would have champions immediately, but we played AC Milan 3 times that year and we beat them every time. We also outplayed Juve.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Ajax, the game (0-2) at Real (which was the next year I believe) is still the best football I have ever seen a team play.

·
Registered
164 Posts
gOD said:
Ajax, the game (0-2) at Real (which was the next year I believe) is still the best football I have ever seen a team play.
Oh yess! I still have extended highlights of the game on my computer, it was like watching a trainingmatch!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But don't forget that it was a weak Real Madrid back then, if I remember well they ended 6th in a worst Liga than now... don't get me wrong, Ajax was a great team, but I think they would lose against the best Dream Team of Cruyff.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Setzer said:
But don't forget that it was a weak Real Madrid back then, if I remember well they ended 6th in a worst Liga than now... don't get me wrong, Ajax was a great team, but I think they would lose against the best Dream Team of Cruyff.
Well yes it's always a debate whether a team is that good or an opponent is that weak. Still I dare to say that particular game Ajax played football that was near to perfection. The postioning of every Amsterdam-player that match was soo incredibly good. I specially remember the divine game of Musampa and Davids. But it wa sthe entire team that played well. They combined everything: intelligence, speed, technique, grace,... It was how the game should be played.

Seriously that game convinced me (if that was still necessary) that football when played well is art.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ajax 95:

Van der Sar
Reiziger
Blind
De Boer
Rijkaard
R. de Boer/Seedorf
Litmanen
Davids
Finidi
Kanu/Kluivert/de Boer
Overmars

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Someone should post the starting elevens, then compare.

Good suggestion.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
That Ajax team was incredible, but there was only one dream team!

Imagine if Ronaldo and Rivaldo played for Barca during 90-94? :D

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Juul2k said:
Ajax 95:

Van der Sar
Reiziger
Blind
De Boer
Rijkaard
R. de Boer/Seedorf
Litmanen
Davids
Finidi
Kanu/Kluivert/de Boer
Overmars
Barcelona 92

Zubizarreta
Ferrer/Cristobal
Koeman
Nando/Nadal/Alexanko
Juan Carlos
Guardiola
Amor/Eusebio
Bakero/Witschge
Stoitchkov/Begiristain
Laudrup
Goikoetxea

I think that Barça 91-94 and Ajax 95-96 have been the last 2 teams that have really played nice football. I can't compare them. If I had to choose one, I'd say Barcelona who showed to be a great team during a long period and not just 2 years, besides Barcelona plays in a harder league, so the exigencies and pressure was much more higher, but I'm biased.

Some of you talk about how nice Ajax played and it's true, but Cruyff's Barça played like angels too. They don't have anything to envy to Van Gaal's Ajax.

Another thing. I've posted the names of Barcelona in 1992, but honestly, it's not correct to compared the "names" individually, because the main characteristics of the 2 teams was preciselly to play as a team. Both had great players, but none of this teams relied on individuals.

In any case, it's silly to compare them. 2 different eras, you can never know who could have been better.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
does anyone remember a lot of that Ajax team + Bergkamp playing for Holland against Ireland in the Euro play off ? in the 1st half it was football from heaven, i was amazed at the synchronicity. ;)

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Never see them both (sorry for my stupidity and lack of knowledge). :neutral:

But I think Ajax '95 deserved the credit for being a very young side which most of their players are truly breed and developed from their youth system. Ajax is the only club ever can do such thing. The glory the team brought in 1995 not only showed that the club once had a 'best team', but also proved no youth system came close to theirs in the world.

I am not trying to be disrespect toward FC Barcelona Dream Team '92, but I think it's a work of one genius named Johan Cruyff. And Johan Cruyff himself with his total-football brains is a product of Ajax.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
does anyone remember a lot of that Ajax team + Bergkamp playing for Holland against Ireland in the Euro play off ? in the 1st half it was football from heaven, i was amazed at the synchronicity. ;)
Wow, that's a while ago. Didn't Kluivert score twice back then? I remember a Nike-commercial about him: St Patricks Day

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Juul2k said:
Wow, that's a while ago. Didn't Kluivert score twice back then? I remember a Nike-commercial about him: St Patricks Day
Kluivert scoring 2 goals????? :eek: Yes, that must be LONG ago. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts