Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barcelona star Ronaldinho has dismissed Chelsea's chances of overturning their 2-1 deficit when the clubs meet in the Champions League on Tuesday.
"I'm sure Barcelona will reach the quarter-finals," the Brazilian said.

"Having seen Chelsea close up I am still 100% confident that we will go through to the quarter-final.

"Chelsea gave us a hard game but our performance deserved better. We have a better team and I'm certain we will score at Stamford Bridge."

And Ronaldinho added that he expected all four English challengers in Europe's premier competition to fall by the wayside this week.

Only Liverpool take a lead into the second leg of their game - 3-1 against Bayer Leverkusen. Arsenal trail Bayern Munich by the same scoreline while Manchester United lost 1-0 to AC Milan in their first-leg match.

"I don't think any of the English sides will do it," he added.

"My predictions would be Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, or AC Milan and maybe Inter to challenge."

Samuel Eto'o, Ronaldinho's strike partner, believes a single goal will be enough for the Catalan giants, La Liga's current leaders.

"All we need is one goal, then that will be it and we will have struck gold," the Cameroon international said.

"That will be enough to see us through and I intend to score it."

Eto'o was linked with Chelsea but Mourinho bought Didier Drogba from Marseille instead.

Eto'o added: "(Scoring) would be a massive revenge for me after the way I was treated by Chelsea. I will make them pay for not buying me.

"Mourinho will be forced to regret it."

Barca skipper Carles Puyol added: "There's no area of Chelsea's attack where they're better than our defence.

"But we can't play defensive football on the back foot like Chelsea.

"Barca don't believe in closing down the entertainment value and sitting back and hoping for your opponents to make an error.

"Chelsea have two styles of play which are to sit back and close off a game or play route one football.

"This is a game for our great stars to show up in and we will go out to win the game because that's our style."

Mourinho's tactics and management style have been heavily criticised following the first leg when he accused Barca boss Frank Rijkaard of influencing referee Anders Frisk and refused to attend the post-match news conference.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst said the Spanish people had lost respect for Mourinho, a former assistant at Barcelona.

"People here in Spain are very open and always say what they feel," the full-back told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Tunnel bust-ups happen all the time but people still go to press conferences. In Spain people think he's running away from his responsibilities if he doesn't talk."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4324717.stm

1 - 1 of 1 Posts