Players:

Ronaldinho
Ruud van Nistelrooy
Teams:

Barcelona
Chelsea
Manchester United

by Alex Livie
Barcelona have refused to quell suggestions that Chelsea are plotting a summer raid for Ronaldinho, but it is being claimed they are lining up a big name signing of their own.
Barca are having a fantastic end to the season, with Ronaldinho the heart of their inspired performances, but it is being suggested the Samba star could be lured away from Camp Nou by the riches on offer at Stamford Bridge.

Clubs around Europe are aware Chelsea have a seemingly bottomless pit of money and owner Roman Abramovich has shown in the past that he is prepared to spend big to achieve success.

Ronaldinho is one of the stars of world football at this present time and he could be the missing link which elevates Chelsea to title winners.

It would appear as though Abramovich is aware of the Brazilian's bewitching skills and could be ready to test Barcelona's resolve in the summer.

Barca have refused to dampen the rumour, with vice-president Sandro Rosell saying: "I refuse to answer the question of whether we have received a bid for Ronaldinho.

"I have a degree of fear concerning Chelsea because if it is true that Abramovich is willing to invest further hundreds of millions of pounds in the transfer market then his aim will be to buy one of our best players.

"With Abramovich you know he has the money whereas with, say Real Madrid, you don't know it to the same degree.

"Barcelona remains a 'sick club' because we still owe £164 million but I think we are imposing financial control and that we are on the road to recovery.

"So I hope that it is one thing for someone like Abramovich to move for one of our players and quite another that they accept his offer."

Rosell has a degree of confidence that Barca's current crop of stars are committed to the club.

"I think that the great players are deeply involved in our rebuilding project and want to see it continue," he added to The Sun.

"I mean, look at Arsenal, we know that Arsenal received a £50 million offer for Thierry Henry and they said no.

"That is the kind of decision I would say we would take with Ronaldinho.

"I view it as impossible that he only stays here for one season like, say, Romario did.

"I think that Ronaldinho is deeply attached to the club and the city."

The departure of Ronaldinho would provide Barca with a massive transfer kitty and it is claimed the Catalan giants are looking into the prospect of luring Ruud van Nistelrooy away from Manchester United.

Dutch marksman van Nistelrooy only recently signed a new deal with The Red Devils, but it has not stopped the speculation surrounding his future.

United have had a disappointing season by their own high standards and it is rumoured Barca are aware the forward could be prised away from Old Trafford.

Spanish media reports are claiming Barca president Joan Laporta held an informal meeting with a representative of van Nistelrooy.

Barca are in the market for a new forward, with Juventus' David Trezeguet another name in the frame, but it would remain to be seen if a striker of the stature of van Nistelrooy would move to Barca if they opt to sell Ronaldinho.

Camp Nou fans crave major signings, but they are sure to urge their club to hold onto Ronaldinho rather than bring in another new face.

·
Registered
65 Posts
another stupid rumor in my opinion. he is the best player on the team and is doing incredible. barca need him.
the article was wrong about something, chelsea offered £60m for henry i think, maybe more. it would have to be more than that for ronnie.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
A giant club with rich history like Barça will never be afraid of losing Ronaldinho to club like Chelsea. The reason why Chelsea got the players they wanted recently is none other than their new shareholder's money.

Let's face it, the players that Chelsea got were mostly players from smaller clubs or players which considered as 'not important' in big clubs. Mutu was signed because Parma is in financial crisis and they do sell players, Veron was signed because Sir Alex didn't need him anymore, Makelele was signed because there's rift between him and Real's management, and they got players like Damian Duff, Scott Parker or Joe Cole because they just paid high. Not to mention that Duff could have been Liverpool players if only they were willingly to pay enough money to Blackburn. Chelsea will never be able to sign players like Sheva, Raul, Henry, Van Nistelrooy, etc.

On the other hand, despite of its past few years performance, Barça already has their 'brand' and strong base as fine quality team and recently has just started to rebuild their glory once again. It's the club where two biggest names in American and European football ever play, Diego Armando Maradona and Johan Cruijff. And also the place where true Brazillian top players like Romario, Rivaldo and Ronaldo made their peak of career. With those reasons, even Ronaldinho himself would say 'no' to this offer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i agree with everything you have said except for this:

Zhuge Liang said:
Chelsea will never be able to sign players like Sheva, Raul, Henry, Van Nistelrooy, etc.
if they go on to win the CL this year, continue with their success in the upcoming years, and eventually stop going over the top with transfers and being overloaded with talent then they will be able to sign big names. 5 yrs down the road or less possibly IF things go right for them.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chelsea will never be able to sign players like Sheva, Raul, Henry, Van Nistelrooy, etc
i disagree. I think Chelsea does have the abilty to sign the Tottis and Nedveds. The players they have signed are very good.

Cech and Robben. Arguable the worlds 2 best young players in there repsective postions.

Hernan Crespo seen around the world as a world class striker. Adrian Mutu when signed was one of the worlds best strikers while being at the 'lowly' Parma. He still has the abilty to be very good.

Claude Makelele and Njitap Geremi, were bought due to financial resons yet both are very good.

Veron was a very poor signing imo. Scott Parker,Wayne Bridge, Damien Duff, Glen Johnson and Joe Cole are all very good player and give Chelsea a much more britsh look. They may not be world class players yet the have taken Chelsea to the 2nd best team in Britan and on the verge of a CL - all very solid.

if they go on to win the CL this year, continue with their success in the upcoming years, and eventually stop going over the top with transfers and being overloaded with talent then they will be able to sign big names. 5 yrs down the road or less possibly IF things go right for them.
If Chelsea finsh well this year with there already strong group of players i dont see why a Samuel/Totti or Nedvedcant be bought which would make Chelsea truly world class.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I don't believe that this will happen for one reason: Ronaldinho has been talking about playing in Barcelona for YEARS now, he was already talking about joining Barça when he was still a kid in Gremio. It's an old dream of his. Probably part of that was generated by the older Brasilian giants who played in the Blaugrana during Ronaldinho's youth, like Romario and Ronaldo... maybe that left a strong impression on RG when he was a kid. I sincerely doubt that he'll leave Barcelona now, when things are going so well and they have a CL to play next season.

Of course, I may be proven wrong, maybe Abramovich will dump an obscene amount of money on the Gaucho's lap and convince him... but I have the impression that RG won't be interested in leaving just yet.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
967 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
Itd be hard to reject 80million pounds...
not really! read El Mundo Deportivo, it said that Chelsea have admitted Barcelona have already rejected 70 million Euros and Roman doesn't want to pay Ronnie's buy out clause which is 100million euros. good move though that ****ing idiot Gaspart would have :fero:

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tombaker66 said:
not really! read El Mundo Deportivo, it said that Chelsea have admitted Barcelona have already rejected 70 million Euros and Roman doesn't want to pay Ronnie's buy out clause which is 100million euros. good move though that ****ing idiot Gaspart would have :fero:
Barca are in debt to 150 million euros. Any offer near 100million would be hard to reject.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Laporta can't sell Ronaldinho also because of political reasons. The former regim sold Ronaldo after only one season. They were heavily critisaized for that and Laporta wants to show the voters that this is a new kimd of regim and that they're building a new Barcelona. RG is the keystone and therefor untouchable.

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
jack goff said:
Wasnt Bacerlona the Same team that sold the best player of the world some years ago?
+

No it was Nunez.Now Barça's president is Joan Laporta,x Elefant Blau so he must know better,before selling our best player to a smaller club ;)

And it's not that barça regreted letting Ronaldo go after all,when you see the whole picture

We won't be selling Ronaldinho soon,atleast before we win something big.Laporta is not an idiot.100m is hard to resist but don't be mistaken.Barça have debts but we're not Lazio or Parma.We don't need to sell anybody,on the contrary we can still sign world class players and afford their wages.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
Barca are in debt to 150 million euros. Any offer near 100million would be hard to reject.
No, Laporta has said he won't sell valuable things, that is bread for today and hunger for tomorrow, as it is said in Spain. Ronaldinho is essential to finish the debt, probably the best player of the best league of the world. Barça isn't PSV or Parma.

If he wants to pay the buy out clause, then he knows what to do. Ronaldinho can't be negotiated. Laporta would face a big problem. We don't sell, we buy.

BTW, someone in England should do a tax inspection to this man. From where does he get all this liquidity?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Carles Puyol and Ronaldinho are in my mind Barcas only indispenable player. To lose either would be very sad. Davids and Javier Saviola complete our most important 4 players.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW, someone in England should do a tax inspection to this man. From where does he get all this liquidity?
He is the largest holder or the owner in the worlds 4th biggest oil company i beleive. Rather a rich man.

What is Ronnies by out clause?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
He is the largest holder or the owner in the worlds 4th biggest oil company i beleive. Rather a rich man.

What is Ronnies by out clause?
100 million €, if I'm not wrong. Considering the state of the football economy right now, it would be crazy to pay this. And let's see if Ronnie wants to go to a smaller team with less impact than Barcelona. I guess Nike wouldn't be happy, considering that Ronaldinho is their flag.

·
Registered
346 Posts
South_Melbourne said:
Carles Puyol and Ronaldinho are in my mind Barcas only indispenable player. To lose either would be very sad. Davids and Javier Saviola complete our most important 4 players.
Xavi, who finally has been able to show his full potential, should be mentioned beside Puyol and Ronaldinho. As he has been this spring I wouldn´t trade him for anyone!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts