Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Llorenc Serra Ferrer already has his mind made up on how Barca 2000-2001 will play, according to Mundo Deportivo. He plans to continue the attacking style used by Van Gaal but with some changes to make the defense more secure. In defense he plans on playing with two central marking backs and a libero. On the outside, he will employ backs with much ground to cover. They will act as backs and also join into the attack. No out and out wingers on the team. In midfield they will play with the "double pivot", two deep central midfielders, which Barca used when Bobby Robson was the trainer. In front of these two there will be only one attacking midfielder, instead of the two used by VG. This player will be the game breaker, with freedom of the pitch, looking to supply the two forwards which will either be two central forwards, or one supplier and one striker. Basically the system is a flexible 5-2-1-2, with more defensive organization in an attacking style of play. When Barca has possession, the two wide "defenders" will join into attack to form a 3-4-3. In defense they will drop back into the backline forming a 5-3-2. The big question is....do SF have the right men for the job? I am having trouble trying to formulate a lineup but i believe it would look something like this:

(With Current Player)

________________Arnau

________________De Boer

_______L.E. Reizeger Abelardo Sergi

________________Pep Cocu

____________________Rivo

_________________Figo Kluivert

My biggest problems are the position of Figo and Rivo, and where L.E. will play. I think maybe he will be in the middle with Pep and then Cocu will be on the outside. Give me some insight on what you think about this system and make your own lineup. Also opinions on player signings would be interesting. I'm really not sure on who to buy, someone in the back like Nesta or Thuram would be ideal. The attack looks as dangerous as ever. I guess there will be no signings of the likes of Denilson and Overmars if we are going to play without wing. I can only see Denilson coming now if Rivo leaves. Which I don't think will happen. Comments please!

[This message has been edited by CarlosMiguel (edited 05-06-2000).]

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
The offensive midfielder has to supply the two men upfront. We've seen Rivaldo in that role the last couple of matches last season, but he didn't supply. At that position he played for his own glory. But maybe with Serra Ferrer that will change. Luis Enrique and Litmanen can also play at that position. I think Figo will do well in the line-up you pointed out. I think this system isn't bad at all. GO SF!

P

·
0 Posts
I would like to see young players such Puyol and Gabri in the starting lineup also. Maybe Puyol at right defence and Gabri in the midlle with Guardiola.

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good question Dutch. That is what i am wondering. Will they be sold, loaned, kept in reserves? Who knows?

D

·
0 Posts
I want Zenden in the starting line-up, he's almost as multi-functional as Cocu.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts