Xtratime Community banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
41,655 Posts
"Rumble Fish" is set and filmed here in Tulsa too, btw. That and "The Outsiders," (also by Coppola) both based on teenage novels by the local author S.E. Hinton. The Outsiders house has become some kind of museum now, and the great Jack White (of White Stripes etc) who for some reason loves Tulsa and spends time here quite often, is somehow involved with it.
You know when you get a new car and before the day you got it you hardly ever saw one. Then from that day on they're everywhere?

That's how I feel since I read you were from Tulsa.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
The Paris of Oklahoma!

·
Registered
32,026 Posts
I heard about Tulsa for the first time in Natural Born Killers which was a huge deal in my teenage years that no one ever talks about anymore (probably for the better). So I still hear Woody Harrelson's voice when the town is mentioned.

·
Administrator
30,451 Posts
I recalled Tulso only with Watchmen HBO series. Otherwise it was a place less fantastic than Fargo.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
I think Fargo is much shittier. The oil boom of the 1920s gave Tulsa some interesting things, and more recently it's becoming a place where young people move, largely because housing is quite affordable but it's also decent-sized city with good amenities, parks, concerts, etc. They brand it as "The new Austin" -- which it's not, but you can see why they'd say so. Very live music-oriented, interesting little coffee shops, etc.

The local culture I think is also more interesting than other regions -- really a meeting point of indigenous cultures, north-Texas cowboy types, and midwest. It would be much better with a large public university, though, but these are in smaller places in this state. That is one of the many reasons it won't be "the next Austin." Oklahoma City is not bad either. Many of the smaller towns are fucked up though, driving in any direction until you reach the larger cities.

Having said all that, my wife does not love the place, and her job is the reason we moved to Oklahoma. Anyway these are probably my last few months here if the powers that be in the academic job market are generous, and it's likely I'll never come back, so I'm trying to absorb and learn as much as I can.

·
Administrator
30,451 Posts
Fargo is a modern day Bagdah, where female pregnant cops walk alongside Haroon Al-Rachid and have strange adventures. Tulsa is just too blue.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
I heard about Tulsa for the first time in Natural Born Killers which was a huge deal in my teenage years that no one ever talks about anymore (probably for the better). So I still hear Woody Harrelson's voice when the town is mentioned.
Funny I was thinking about that movie recently and how it's sort of been left out of the canon, I think in part related to Columbine and the like. I don't remember anything Tulsa about it.

Another recent, not bad movie that has some Oklahoma moments is Soderberg's " Logan Lucky", with Adam Driver, Channing Tatum Riley Keough.

·
Registered
32,026 Posts
I haven't been abble to google or youtube it, but Woody has a monolgue in a motel room where he talks about settling down outside of Tulsa and lead a normal life. He then gets into an argument with Juliette Lewis and rapes the abucted girl who was stashed away in a corner of the room, unbeknownst to the audience.

·
Registered
32,026 Posts
If we're talking Okie generally, the great Clint Eastwood made Honkytonk Man in 1982, an offbeat roadmovie set in the Depression, where he plays a country musician who travels to Nashville to perform at the Grand Ole Opry. It's based on Jimmie Rodgers, though he wasn't from Oklahoma. I guess Oklahoma is sort of a signifier for the Great Depression more than any other state, probably in many other movies too.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts