Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
World Cup 2006 bid envoy, Tony Banks MP has accused Fifa of conspiring against England, but claimed that it could play into their hands.
Banks who was speaking after a leaked Fifa report placed England behind South Africa and Germany regarding technical standards for the bid, said that the document has undoubtedly done some damage, but hopes that it may "evoke some sympathy."

Writing in the Independent on Sunday, Banks said: "Three weeks ago, before everything blew up in our faces, I would have said we were going to do it. Two days ago I admit I was pretty pessimistic, but in a perverse way, what Fifa have now tried to do in stitching us up over that leaked adverse technical report may have worked in our favour.

"I've been in politics for many years and people have done for me on several occasions, but this was so crude. So unsubtle. So transparent. So much so that it simply doesn't make sense. In fact it may almost have played into our hands. Yes it has done us damage, but I think it has evoked some sympathy for us, too."

Banks also defended the English stance at the Uefa congress in Luxembourg, where they launched a blistering attack on Fifa.

"People have said our stand here at the Uefa congress at Luxembourg was very aggressive, but we have spoken the truth. We decided to be very frank - and it is fair to say it ruffled a few feathers."

The bidding countries, England, Germany, South Africa, Brazil and Morocco will find out their fate when Fifa’s executives cast their votes in Zurich on Thursday.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
you have Pele backing up S.Africa and I think they are probably going to get the bid>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts