Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So says former Socceroos captain Paul Wade, in this article:

FORMER Socceroos captain Paul Wade says ethnic violence has been ruining the image of Australian football for decades and clubs with violent fans should be banned from competition.

"Ban the clubs because I'm fed up and I think (so is) everybody who is not involved in these issues," Wade said on Channel 7 today.

An increased police presence and other security measures failed yesterday to prevent a violent clash between Sydney clubs the Bonnyrigg White Eagles and Sydney United for the second time in two months.

Six people were arrested after up to 100 fans of the rival Croatian-backed United and Serbian-supported Bonnyrigg clubs clashed in the car park of Parramatta Stadium following a NSW Premier League match, which Bonnyrigg won 4-1.

Wade said: "We've seen it so many times. Enough's enough.

"Stop slapping people on the wrist.

"It is passed down from generation to generation with some of these people."

Wade said he often visited schools and clubs around the country asking youngsters if they would like to one day play for the Socceroos or the Matildas.

"(They say) no, we are going to play for Greece or Croatia," Wade said.

"So it's sort of in-bred right from the start. So when you get the good old days of Serbs and Croats, it's like whoah, we're in for a fight here."

Wade said banning individual fans was not a foolproof method and said playing matches in empty stadiums should be considered.

"Absolutely. They've done it in Europe and they've done it all around the world to punish clubs," he said.

"There are so many good people involved in these games and then you get thugs turning up and doing that (fight)."

The last time the two clubs met on March 13 at Sydney's Edensor Park, six people were arrested and two police officers injured after about 50 rival fans threw flares and other projectiles at each other.

Soccer NSW had moved yesterday's game to the neutral venue of Parramatta Stadium.

Acting chief executive of Soccer NSW, Mike Quarmby, said he was disappointed by the actions of a select group of "hooligans", especially after police and security had ensured the match was able to be completed without any major incident.

Wade said of the violent fans: "They go there looking for a fight. That's the scary thing.

"Just the fact that we are talking about it is damaging enough."

Wade said ethnic violence had dogged the game since his own playing career in the 1980s.

"It's really sad. I think the media, you've got to go to town on it. We have to highlight these things," he said.

Wade said he did not envy the job ahead for former rugby boss John O'Neill, who is spearheading the new eight-team A-League starting in August.

O'Neill is promoting the new national league as a breakthrough for Australian football and a step away from the ethnic rivalries of the past.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Deport the people involved, if you want to wave the flag and act like a jerk then your wish is our commend - GO back to your own country.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
ban or demote the clubs (to NSW division 3) and deport the ***** :thumbsup: this is a disgrace and should not be tolerated

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
"It is passed down from generation to generation with some of these people."
Wade said he often visited schools and clubs around the country asking youngsters if they would like to one day play for the Socceroos or the Matildas.
"(They say) no, we are going to play for Greece or Croatia," Wade said.
"So it's sort of in-bred right from the start. So when you get the good old days of Serbs and Croats, it's like whoah, we're in for a fight here."
....but it's okay for them to express a desire to play for England as done by other "true blue" Aussies like Johnston, Dorigo and McMaster eh? F*cking hypocrite Wade!! :fero:

"It's really sad. I think the media, you've got to go to town on it. We have to highlight these things," he said.
Nowhere near as sad as seeing this washed up has been getting on his high horse and resurrecting his media tart role he had at Optus Vision all those years ago though. No wonder we need to "highlight these things" gives Wade an opportunity to stutter his sh*t since he won't have that opportunity at FOXTEL. Need to make the most of it while you can. :rollani:

Deport the people involved, if you want to wave the flag and act like a jerk then your wish is our commend - GO back to your own country.
Too right! You see the main problam in the Land of Oz ain't the Asian drug syndicates, the Ethnic gangs in the outer suburbs or the Al - Quada sleeping cells. It's a handful of those bloody Eurohools. :rollani: Get real! If anyone is to be "deported" it's that moron Doumanis. This match was destined to attract trouble and rather than have the match behind closed doors which would have avoided any of this sh*te this happened! Even ifthe crowd was just over 1000!!!!! :wallbang:

·
©
7,230 Posts
hehe...they really are digging deep by bringing Paul Wade out.:howler:

Not defending the troublemakers, but Paul Wade? Seriously now, Paul Wade?:D

He is bringing up things that have absolutely no relevence to the incident.

The clubs need to take it upon themselves to ban these people from coming to games. Is it true that the game on the weekend had only about 700 fans?

Did anybody read that article in the Telegraph. Quality newpaper that seems to be. Just like Melbourne's version, the Herald Sun.:yuck:

Dress for distress: hooligans with flare

April 28, 2005

THINKING about going to the soccer this weekend. Can't wait. When it comes to old-fashioned, wholesome family fun, nothing beats a day at the soccer.

And it is cheap at the price.

This comes with the new A-League just four months from starting and soccer boss John O'Neill keen to entice non-soccer fans to the new league.

Having never been to a local soccer game before, the idea was to head to a game and get in some practice before the A-League begins. A kind of when in Rome thing . . .

The first prerequisite was to assemble a competitive supporters pack, one that would save any embarrassment in comparison with my new associates.

The first place to drop into was Stoliar Bros in George St, the army disposal store that has been selling fatigues since the Vietnam war.

Inside, resting his elbows on the counter, is Alan Vorsay, a gentle man with a kind eye and a delightful sense of mischief.

Told the visit was to gather supplies for an excursion to the soccer Mr Vorsay nodded all too knowingly and pulled out the balaclavas.

"This one," he said, pulling out a fine acrylic model, "is the most popular. It's generally called the IRA model."

A thing of beauty, it has two perfect holes for the eyes and a small hose for the mouth, good for giving orders or, in this case, yelling "Run!" at the appropriate time, which is just about when the police are about to engage.

The IRA balaclava is also good value at $5.95 and a more popular seller than the open faced Outback version, which admittedly is pure wool but sells for $12.95 and is absolutely no help when it comes time to avoiding CCTV identification.

You can never be too careful.

Unfortunately for us, Mr Vorsay was out of gas masks should the situation get really heavy, but he cheerfully recommended the Israeli version should we come across a store that sells them.

"They're all imported," he explained, "and the others have asbestos."

As an added bonus, the Israeli version also covers the whole face instead of just the nose and mouth, making it an absolute steal at $50.

Hanging on the walls and shelves were his selection of army fatigues and every other manner of survival gear, although sadly he came up short on bullet-proof vests.

"Only the police are supplied with those," he acknowledged.

To this we paid no mind.

Most soccer veterans consider them for wimps, anyway.

Across town, on first look Flags With Flair seemed like your perfect one stop riot shop.

Drop in and pick up, say, a Macedonian flag for $42.90 and a boxful of flares for just when the game gets willing, and Bob's your uncle.

Alas, Flags With Flair, it seemed, was not Flags With Flare, and inside your friendly rioter could buy only flags – for good naturedly provoking the opposition.

But it is a funny thing.

The red Macedonian flag with its rising yellow sun sells for exactly the same price as the blue and white Greek flag, showing no apparent superiority from one nation to the next, much the same as the Serbian flag holds no superiority over the Croatian flag, or vice versa.

Like men, it seems all flags are created equal.

Strange then that hidden behind these flags are young men of little understanding who see strength in their rage, and so will fight and throw missiles and even shoot bullets through the Serbian Club at Bonnyrigg, even if it provokes a return serve of setting alight a Croatian club official's car.

It's all done in the name of fun, which is what a day at the soccer in Sydney is supposed to be, right?

That's why my next stop was at Whitworth's Marine and Leisure at Drummoyne, where Colin was in charge.

Naturally, any self-respecting soccer fan has to have a good stock of flares and all know that most good marine stores stock them.

Never mind that they are locked behind cabinets – a mere inconvenience.

Most popular is the Paints-Wessex brand, sold in on-shore and off-shore packs according to the very best maritime safety standards.

While flares can be sold separately, the true value is in the packs, with a four-pack containing two hand-held red flares – just brilliant for night games – as well as two orange smoke flares – for your average daytime kick-off – going for $53.80.

A six-pack containing three and three was at a basement priced $82.90.

Those wanting to do it on the cheap can take a single red for $12.90 or a single orange for $15.50, while those with a bit of artistic style will no doubt select the red parachute that shoots the flare high into the night sky only to see it drift majestically, poetically down on to the middle of the pitch.

A red parachute will set you back $37.80 and is worth every cent to the genuine Sydney soccer enthusiast.

The flare is the symbol of the soccer riot.

The new A-League is coming. Have you got yours?

[email protected]
Absolutely disgusting! The fact that this is printed is even worse.

Funny how 28 people getting arrested at a Rugby match last week didn't even get a mention.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm seriously thinking about taking "BOYCOTT THE TELEGRAPH" signs when I come up to Sydney for our match up there sometime.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Don't think you'd need to as most of them are of that mentality if what I'm reading here is anything to go by. Here's Pierre Littbarski's take on events:

SYDNEY FC coach Pierre Littbarski said A-League officials must be wary of potential crowd violence when the new competition begins in August.

Littbarski, who has seen European spectator rampages during his career as both player and coach, says every step must be taken to ensure recent scenes of mayhem in Sydney and Melbourne are not repeated.

"I don't know what these people are, but they are not interested in soccer," Littbarski said.

"We have to prepare every time for these things. We had a problem in Germany as well and I think we have to be aware.

"At first you must divide and isolate these people and don't let them come into fan groups."

Littbarski wants life bans for serious offences.

"We must point them out and the club must handle it strictly," he said.

·
*the drum drum*
43,071 Posts
khimik said:
I'm seriously thinking about taking "BOYCOTT THE TELEGRAPH" signs when I come up to Sydney for our match up there sometime.
No one with half a brain takes that paper seriously..

Problem is, the majority doesn't have half a brain! :eek:

I posted some scans from the Daily Telegraph in the Macedonian forum before, you guys might want to check that one out :howler:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Evil 37 said:
....but it's okay for them to express a desire to play for England as done by other "true blue" Aussies like Johnston, Dorigo and McMaster eh? F*cking hypocrite Wade!! :fero:
Don't forget Harry "My Biggest Dream in Football is to Represent England" Kewell :greed: :yuck:

·
Registered
40 Posts
7159 said:
Some of you people fail to realise that if it were not for "european australians" or "ethnic australians" australian soccer would be absolutely dead wood, look at all the fans and players that go down to their local clubs on the weekend...yep...90% are european australians, you can even look at our national team - hardly an anglo-saxon name among them, not that this is a bad thing as their all Australians, i am by no means supporting the acts of this small minority of fans who choose to fight rather than watch the game, in fact i think they are fools, at least wait till after the game if they wanna fight, but im pointing out that if it were not for ethnics...soccer here would be nothing.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Seems Doumanis DOES have a lot to answer for:

No fans option rejected
AAP

Sydney United officials have revealed they asked Soccer NSW at least a dozen times for last weekend's match against Bonnyrigg White Eagles to be played behind closed doors.

Six people were arrested on Saturday after about 100 fans of the Croatian-backed United and Serbian-supported Bonnyrigg fought in the car park of Parramatta Stadium after the game.

Sydney United vice-president Sam Krslovic said the incident could have been avoided if Soccer NSW had listened to the club's request.

"I think we requested it (be played behind closed doors) twice in writing and verbally a dozen times," Krslovic said.

"They (Soccer NSW) basically said they have made a decision and under the by-laws they can do what they want."

Sydney United said it made the request following the March 13 match between the two clubs at United's Edensor Park.

On that occasion six people were arrested and two police officers injured when about 50 rival fans bombarded each other with flares and other projectiles.

Soccer NSW instead moved Saturday's game to the neutral venue of Parramatta Stadium and increase the police and security presence.

Other precautionary measures, such as crowd segregation and buffer zones between the two supporter groups, were also put in place.

Krslovic said these methods had not worked and if the sides were to meet again in the finals of the NSW Premier League in June, the match must be played away from spectators.

"I think, at least this year, we need to play it behind closed doors. We don't need to provide a platform," Krslovic said.

Beyond this season, the club wants only fans of the home team to attend Bonnyrigg and Sydney United matches.

"I think our original strategy of no away fans is the only way to address it. We play their ground to their fans only, they play our grounds to our fans only," Krslovic said.

"We originally requested this for March 13 and that was the strategy we were going to take but unfortunately four days out from the match we were told by Soccer NSW that 'no, we must have away fans at the game'."

"It is common practice in Europe were there is strong rivalry between teams to not to allow away fans to attend the games. Why do we have to be different?"

"Why can't we copy what is being effective with crowd control overseas."

The Bonnyrigg White Eagles refused to comment on the matter while Soccer NSW did not return calls.

Don't forget Harry "My Biggest Dream in Football is to Represent England" Kewell
Fair point that! Indeed as much as he was dull & predictble Eddie Thompson (god rest his soul) got it right by playing a then 17yo Kewell in a friendly, otherwise he may well have realised his "dream". :lala:

Some of you people fail to realise that if it were not for "european australians" or "ethnic australians" australian soccer would be absolutely dead wood,
In an Melbourne sense maybe but overall? Look, obviously I am proud of the achievements of the ethnics, but I ain't forgetting the likes of Bignall, Marston, etc either. Football has been played here since 1880, with the NT having played since 1922. There's no denying the ethnic issue but don't forget that for most of their history Newcastle was a fotball hotbed as was Woolongong for a while. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
khimik said:
I'm an anglo-saxon that was born in England, aren't I European too? :pp
if you want to :thmbup:
the people of england are soccer crazy, people like you who came to australia will obviously be interested in soccer here which is what im pointing out about people here who come from abroad, whether from europe (including england :smileani: ), or south america, the middle east and so on.......

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also think one Mr. Johnny Warren deserves a wee bit of credit for the popularity of football in this country, too ;)

·
*the drum drum*
43,071 Posts
Green-Army, fair point, but I think what 7159 meant was that the trouble makers be deported, and not all foreigners ;)

Again I'll raise the question to you guys. Why is it that the younger Serbians and/or Croatians are filled with so much nationalistic pride (and prejudice*) as compared with their elders?!

* - I didn't want to write "pride and prejudice", so I added the brackets.. That's chicks stuff! :pp

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Tolga said:
Green-Army, fair point, but I think what 7159 meant was that the trouble makers be deported, and not all foreigners ;)
:wallbang: why just the troublemakers? i was looking forward to going out on the street, waving the old Italian flag around a bit and little Johnny putting me on an all-expenses paid flight back to the "Motherland" :D ;)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tolga said:
Again I'll raise the question to you guys. Why is it that the younger Serbians and/or Croatians are filled with so much nationalistic pride (and prejudice*) as compared with their elders?!
To be honest, I'm really not sure. Obviously my opinion on the matter isn't as a strong as others with me coming from a different background. I liken to the Hispanics in America, in the 40s and 50s when they were of similar ilk to the Cros and Serbs now, but their parents, like the elderly Cros and Serbs, were not.

Oddly enough it really isn't like that in Adelaide, and we have two prominent Croatian and Serbian clubs in Raiders and White City - along with Adelaide City and Olympic, those two are the richest and 'most powerful' clubs in SA football. Matches between those two are guaranteed to be heated, yes, but it's never broken into anything like this. I can't remember a single arrest in the last five years from the fans, the only one was when some wanker pulled a knife out on the pitch in an U17 game that I played in. :mad:

I guess we're just a friendlier bunch over here :shades: :D

·
*the drum drum*
43,071 Posts
The tension hasn't been building up for over ten years over in Adelaide, that's why ;)

These two club's haven't played eachother for over a decade, and the last time they did I think something did break out then even.. :D

But yeah, they haven't played eachother very much over the years, let alone in two matches which would go a long way towards deciding the minor premiership..

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
All points raised are valid but guys this surely is enough... what are we waiting for? a fatality? desperate measures need to be taken and if they're not then Soccer NSW should just dismantle itself and cease to exist :thmbdown:

Point deduction or matches behind closed doors don't send storng enough a message, these arseholes will be back for the next game (for God's sake there were drive by shootings after the first encounter) more stringent measures need to be taken!!

Someone asked about crowd figures: my mate went to the match and he estimated there were 500 or so Sydney United fans and about 3 times as many (1500) White Eagles fans.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bosanac said:
All points raised are valid but guys this surely is enough... what are we waiting for? a fatality? desperate measures need to be taken and if they're not then Soccer NSW should just dismantle itself and cease to exist :thmbdown:
Sadly Bosanac, I think that's what it will take. It's such a common thing to happen in our world - we're only reactive after a tragedy, rather than being pro-active to avoid a tragedy.

Take 9/11 for example, the Americans were never as strict about airport security until 9/11 happened. Or Heysel, UEFA never did anything until those 39 Italians were killed. Or Hillsborough, the FA never did anything major about preventing it until the 96 Liverpool fans were killed.

Unfortunately I see the same thing happening with these ethnic tensions. I don't think the Soccer NSW or the FFV will do anything serious until somebody, whether hooligan or innocent fan, is killed.

Tolga said:
The tension hasn't been building up for over ten years over in Adelaide, that's why ;)

These two club's haven't played eachother for over a decade, and the last time they did I think something did break out then even.. :D

But yeah, they haven't played eachother very much over the years, let alone in two matches which would go a long way towards deciding the minor premiership..
I like my reason more, Tolga :D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts