Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Lippi should take Balzaretti as he offers great athleticism, positioning, aids in attack, long balls, plus plays both sides of the defense (on the left and on the right).

I know that he has not played that many games, but you can alraedy see talent with just one game with him, he is one of those types of players.
I personally rate him very highly and would not hesitate taking him with azzurri. Maybe a few friendlies with the national team might be more determinant to see if he would adapt with azzurri than having to wait till after this cup. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think now we have too many left backs, i cant consider him. he is not bad on the right too, but that would be up to better people than me :cool:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Too early for Balzaretti to come in. He has impressed me this season, but so have Ferrari and Bonera in the past. Lets wait and see of he can keep his form going for club before we rush him into the azzurri. It's not like we are short of quality players in his position.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe you are right, Italy are no looking for a left back. However, from what i have seen, italy do not have a dependent right back, so if Zamb goes right, then Balza can do left and the problem is solved (or it can be the other way around).
I think there is stll time in the league that Balza can prove himself, and feel somewhat confident that he will make it. But this is something that we have to see.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
as it stands only zambrotta and grosso look good enough for the azzurri. Obviously back up is needed and names such as Bonera and Zaccardo are not that great. Even Chiellini isnt that good to be on the world stage.

If the above names have a chance, then Balzaretti should deinfitely be in that list. He is able to play both sides and frees options for an extra player elsewhere.

·
MVP
8,984 Posts
I promise you Emiliano Moretti was the next Zambrotta. I can't understand why he's constantly overlooked. :(

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Moretti plays in spain, it doesnt surprise Lippi overlooks him. It is quite stupid because he is a decent player who really does rival many of the names being thrown around in this forum.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
I hope that Lippi calls on Moretti in a friendly. If he is as good as people say he is, then it would be great because he can play as a centre back AND as a left back.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
At the current time i don't think he'll get the call.. It depends n the next 2-3 months, how regular is he playing, & in what form, & whether we're gonna need him or not..

I'd prefer Chiellini as a Sub for Grosso on the left, & Oddo as a sub for Zambrotta on right..

·
Registered
522 Posts
definitely not... imo chiellini isn't good enough to warrant a place in the NT squad atm... the reason why balzaretti is actually getting more starts this season is because of Chiellini's inconsistency in the first place...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dharurat said:
definitely not... imo chiellini isn't good enough to warrant a place in the NT squad atm... the reason why balzaretti is actually getting more starts this season is because of Chiellini's inconsistency in the first place...
...and Balzarettis consistency which brought me to write this post.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
No it isnt, Chiellini was injured and so balzaretti started. A Juve supporter should know this even more than me, but you dont seem to... Chiellini is a powerful left back and I think more useful than Balzaretti who I do like, but Im not sure if I would call him yet.

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Balzaretti is a decent player and Chiellini will be a very good player once he sorts out some of his defensive inconsistencies.

Back up for full backs is going to be very interesting to watch. I would also keep my eye out for Coco. He seems to be playing well for Livorno.

I know what I am about to say would cause controversy but if Birrindelli wasn't injured, I would pick him. He is not flash but reliable as hell.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
who is to say they both wont be there on bench?

grosso and zambrotta are set, but the back ups definitely are not.

zaccardo
coc
balzaretti
oddo
chiellini

anything could happen.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
That would basically mean havung 4 natural left backs in the squad though and no proper right backs although we know Zambrotta and balzaretti can play there.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
that is the thing though, zambrotta and balzaretti are versitile. i agree that we need a natural right back, but im sure zambrotta is better there than any true right back italy has to offer.

if it works well for juve, that being balzaretti being able to replace left back or right when called upon, i dont see why he couldnt do it for the NT.

I would agree that the safer option is a player like Oddo, but if it were between Balzaretti and Chiellini, I'd take Balzaretti for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts