Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
©
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Jadran Sport there is an article saying that by 2003 there will be a Balkan League consisting of all the big teams in the region including Croatian clubs. This idea has been going around for a while now but it looks like it is starting to gain momentum. It would be similar to the Basketball league. This kind of league would create better quality football, create interest and maybe fill stadiums that are now relatively empty. I do think that it is a good idea to maybe join up with a few countries but not with the serbs. I think there is simply to much history there for us to just forget about. Maybe a joint league with just Slovenian and Bosnian teams would be a good idea.

What do you people think?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
The idea as such is not a bad one.

It will increase the quality of competition, which will in turn create "better" players so to say.

Although, i have to agree that is way too early to have Serbian teams playing with Croatian teams in the same league. The travelling fans would be almost non-exitant, although I'm sure there would be high interest for these games.

Not for now, but in the future....why not?

·
Banned
36,400 Posts
My views on this have been made pretty clear by the discussions we've had earlier.

Unfortunately those discussions caused some problems between us and our neighbours, so we'll have to tread carefully as we discuss this issue once again, and since it is a football issue, we will not delete it or close it, for now. I trust we can have a civilised discussion, and give us all some credit here....so

Firstly:
I beleive that it will not fill the stadiums. Suppose the new league consists of 3 Croatian, 2 Slovenian, 3 Serbian, 2 Bosnian and 2 macedonian clubs, the stadiums would stay reletavely the same for all but 3 of those home games in Croatia, as they are today when the derbies happen, and when league leaders meet the big 2.

Secondly, there is nothing to play for in such a league. Since it will never get recognised by FIFA, what's the prize? A trophy? For winning the Croatian league we get an entry into Europe, and more financial gain. Winning the Balkan league is next to wothless. What about the calender? Since it won't be FIFA pproved, they'll have to play around league fixtures, cup fixtures, friendlies, National Team qualifiers and friendlies and European fixtures. This packs the calendar, as a result we see a decrease in the quality of football, and the team fielded, since there is no significance as to the results gained.

Sponsors are hard to come by if a league is not FIFA approved, hence sponsorships become questionable.

Thirdly, our HNL is in it's infancy, we are only now beggining to realise potential of the clubs, and real rivarlies are cementing. Why undermine our national league? Why oust clubs with Croatian and European success like Osijek, Varteks, Rijeka and Zagreb in order to play host to Macedonian and Bosnian teams that aren't in the same class as ours?

Thirdly, Croatia is the best footballing nation of the former Yugo states by a longshot. This is evident from our co-efficients in UEFA's rankings, where our league is the second poule, whereas Yugoslavia's is in the third, Slovenia's, Macedonia's and Bosnia's in the 4th. Our European club success by surpasses that of any other former Yugo nation, Hajduk's quaterfinal champions league berth, Dinamo's two champions leagues, Varteks' recent success in the Intertoto Cup and Osijek's preformance in last year's UEFA cup. Our national team is also a cut above, qualifying for 3 of 4 major tournaments and coming 5th in Europe and 3rd in the world. Our youth system also surpasses our neighbours, as we have come 3rd twice in the european champs for under18 and U16 competition, and have qualified for the finishing tournament of the U21's last year.

By anyone's standards, Croatia's participation in this league is crucial to the other countries, who would play tommorow if they could.

But why have our youth fielded against Macedonians and Bosnians? Why should our success help them develop them as a footballing power? What do we have to gain? What does Dinamo have to gain by beating FC Sarajevo?

Why should these clubs, who've posted more success than the other proposed clubs from the other countries, be simply scrapped to make room for FK Vardar? Why should their proud history be erased? Varteks, Osijek, Rijeka, Zagreb, Hr. Dragovoljac etc. What happens to them?

Lastly, who really wants to see a meaningless league where risks of injuries and crowd violence outweigh the superficial benefits? Especially since we will be pitted against those who ritualisticly hate us?

Why forget everything so quickly? What's the hurry all of a sudden? Is Croatian football in that much of a crisis? I beleive it's exactly the opposite, and Croatia has no business actualising such an endeavour.

The fans in Zagreb showed their disgust at the nostalgics and their "jugo" ideas through violence at the basketball.

The Jadran league is flailing to say the least, and numbers are way down.

Football is our national sport, we have a country of our own, and we have to look out for our interests and the interests of the HNL.

The Balkan league is a dream that has no business in Croatia. We have a league, thanks very much, and we'd rather keep it that way.

Ero

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Aaaaaarghh....

Not now......not ever!!!

It´s a direct slap in the face to the croatian people to even consider this idea. I´d rather support croatian teams, even if they became the worse team in europe, then support a Balkan-League.:mad: :mad: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad: :tongue:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Im fully against it. Whoever is for it is Yugonostalgic. We should distance ourselves from all of those countries around us or we will always be considered as Balkans. We were never considered as Balkans until we were put in Yugoslavia and when under the comunist rule the West were fed communist propaganda about us so as to think we are all united with them. Our history has always been tied with Venice and Rome.

Our league is the strongest by far in the region and shouldn't be touched plus from what I read about Jadran sport its a Serb website. Our top 4 could beat any of our neighbors on any given day. With a country so young in its development that would make us go backwards and not forwards.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
my answer!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! simple as that Ero and Van Cro have already said everything! i stand by there points!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
every1 has been ****tin on Goodyear league as well at the beggining, now everyone thinks its a great idea... oh well...

HNL as it is (with 16 teams) has such a low schedule of games, that it would do it good for its teams to play something else... i cant imagine how will it look with 12 teams, they will play 30% of games that normal european teams do... right now, Hajduk plays midweek friendly game in order to keep their players in the form... I mean for god sakes we have only 12-16 games in first 8 months of the year, and thats with 16 clubs!

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I live in Malta. One of the smallest countries in the world:D

Here everyone is mad about football. For a country of hardly 400,000 citizens it is amasing that they have three fully active league:eek: , tramendous youth support (ie. soccer schools where they are trying to ked youngsters as soon as possible and train them), they make deals with England FA to every now and then send someone here to train the kids, and so on....

Still, they are one of the worst soccer countries in europe. Every village here (and village here means 500, 600 PPL) has a football team, lot of investment, youth development and what did you get?

I'll tell you why.....there is no competition. So much so that they enetered negotiation with Italy for their NT to play in Italian Seria C:confused: :eek: ;) ...Eventually they gave up....for logistical reasons...

Now, right now Croatian football is probably better than anyones else of Ex-Yu countries. I ask you for how long it will remain so? What kind of competition do your teams encounter on regular basis? How far does your champion reaches in CL? any better that Serbian or Slovenian? How many REAL, tough games your youngster play before he is sold to foreign team? At what age? 21? 22?

Situation is absolutely the same in Serbia and any other country. Quality of football is deteriorating rapidly on Balkan. You can believe it or not, but thats fact.

I'm not Yu-nostalgic. Anything but;)

I'll repeat again. 2003, even 2010 is too soon. But if there is a way in the future to create a league that will in a way re-create tougher games, more games, increase quality of competition and so on...I'm for.

The world is moving forward and unifying. No matter what happens, we are first door neighbours and will be so forever. We can learn to live together and work together by using a little bit of resources we have for the benefit of all. In footballing and any other terms. all it takes is a little bit of effort;)

Cheers:)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Maybe with Austrian, Hungarian, Slovenian and Croatian clubs (bosnians too maybe)... that would be fun... Austria has few teams that could compete, Slovenia might as well...

I say **** Balkanian league but regional league with countries like Austria, Hungary maybe even Czech , etc as well as slovenia and bosnia would do a good things

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Anone who believes in a "balkanska Liga" is a Yugonostagist no matter what they think..just like the country of "Yugoslavia" its doomed to fail.

I agree with Ero, and Van Cro with what they said and won't add to it except that we fought long and hard to gain our independence to have something like this happen. This is just some kind of stupid test by the EU to see if that would work in order to put together some kind of "Balkan Confederation." There is a saying, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...." and we've already been fooled twice in 1918 and 1945 lets not get fooled again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am against anykind of assocaition with the serbs in soccer...
since our independence, the west and our current commie leaders has been trying to get us together witht the Serbs agian in somekind of balkan assocation..

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am sick of hearing about this because say as u want (bla bla more interest, leagues etc) this is essentily a yugonostalgicar ploy, and i am totaly against it. We fought for and have our own country and its own soccer, finaly we can present outselves to the world under our own name and jersey, yet some push for balkan unity, NEVER never again wil be forced into some ****y balkan union. ==NIKAD VISE TESKOG JADA, NIKAD VISE BEOGRADA!==

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I guess Im coming to late, you guys have allready said everything.
Im also against a league like that. Croatia & Serbia togheter again? NEVEEEEEEEEEEEER !!!!! not even in 2010 like Aca said. We all have our own countries nowdays, And I hope it will remain like that forever.........!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
umm... nobody wants serbs joining... NOW GET OVER IT... this was started as a regional league post, not "Serb" league - no matter how we put it, Slovenia is much more western than we are, and hence they will be in EU within next 2 years... why are you so freakin insecure? I can see regional league with Slovenia, Bosnia AND Austria and Hungary, etc, do a good things for our soccer overall.. and wtf, why are we calling it soccer? its FOOTBALL for god sakes

·
International
8,545 Posts
Wolf, the "Balkan League" has been talked about before, it would include the Serbs and even the Macedonians, that's why people are talking about the Serbs.

But we should all take it easy, no need to get all stressed about it since it most likely won't happen.

Regional leagues will definately be formed in the near future and it's just a matter of which league we join. It won't be the Balkan league though, but another proposal was similar to what wolf said with the Slovenians and Austrians....I can't remember what it was called though.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I suppose we will have to see. The HNL is going back to 12 teams next year so the quality should increase a little. This year has been the most interesting league probably ever just because of the amount of teams who have been in the championship race. Hopefully somehow the interest will go up so that we see respectable crowds week in week out. I would love for us to be able to have a great league and great teams who are good in Europe but:

Our players are leaving at younger and youger ages each year.

The clubs are in debt

The stadiums are empty etc.

Something has to change if things don't get better. Now of course we wouldn't play against the Serbs but Austria, Hungary and maybe Slovenia and Bosnia could be an option. It is easy to say that the Bosnian teams are bad but just think how many of their players play in the HNL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The HNL and teams should do something to draw more attendence. Cros dont have alot of money nowadyas, so maybe something like buy a ticket and bring your kid for free. i dont know, just a thought.........
Bog

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
But, even with a "regional" league, the best players are not going to stay, they will go the better leagues. Another thing, as Sibenik said, people don't have money, so what makes you think that they will spend what little they do have on a game?

It's like this...even if a league such as this gets off the ground, you might have more fans than usual come to the games but after the novelty wears off, it will be back to normal.

Its like here in the States and Canada...when a new stadium is build people come like crazy to see a game in this new stadium...an example would be Sky Dome in Canada. Then after a few years people stop coming and rather than have 50,000 for a base ball game they get 20,000.

Also, there is no guarantee that more money will be pumped into a regional league. Plus, even if there is, it won't be near enough to keep the more talented players from leaving to better leagues.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
actually JureM, its all based on Economics... and it would definetly work (at leats pay off its own)... why? because you will get the best teams with the most supporters which people follow more to play against each other... there might be no rivalry right now, but after few years, you bet there will be some... you dont think Poljud would have 10,000 ppl when Sturm comes? why not, I bet they will... thats more than 5-10 times more than their normal average... plus people would actually be watching the games on TV as well, which means more TV money, etc... not to talk about sponsors, who could then advertise their brand in front of much broader public... this is what made Champ League a success, so think Champ League, just smaller & cheaper... I bet it would pickup, especially since none of these teams play in europe during the spring anyway so they are useless right now.

Something like this is the only way for smaller countries to develop their teams.

if teams get more money, and play is more competitive, then they can keep and develop players longer...

... there were plenty of people @ Poljud vs Hungarian team last year...

Current issue is not money (most croatians drink more per day than the cost of one ticket, they are cheap, poljud is usually $2.5 per game for Sjever up to $4.5), but people dont care about seeing small, low quality teams... compare it to NBA, you think ppl would watch if there were 12 teams playin from Southeren California area? certainly not as much as now... and guess what, SoCal is bigger than Croatia...

JureM, doing nothing because Hajduk or Dinamo will never become Juventus or Manchester United is not the solution.. we dont have to have Juventus or Manchester or Real... we need good average teams that can excel once in every 4-5 years...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts