Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Various Yugoslavs I've spoken with seem to think that Yugoslavia has a very good chance at winning Euro this year......I wonder if members in this lounge feel the same way.
Yes, Yugo is full of talent, but they have never won anything.....and, they seem to always choke when playing an important game.
When I was at the world cup in France, I read an interview with Croatia's coach in which he said that Yugoslavia suffered from something he termed "Balkan Syndrome", and he attributed this to their loss against Holland. Croatian fans whom I also met in France explained to me that Yugoslavia suffers from an inferiority complex which has historically prevented them from doing well at any International tournaments, despite having awesome players.
Has anybody heard of this before, and is their any truth to it?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
AtomicPunk,
The reason Yugo suffered "Balkan syndrome" cos Yugos had Cros on their back. Now, finally that they are off Yugo back, they can accomplish something.
Cro's can't say nothing valid right now, they've got their lesson in Zagreb: 2:2 and out... and that's from 10 Yugo players ;)

Understood mate!

PS
Inferiority complex = having Cros on your side!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that you may not like Croatia since they gave you something of a beating on the battlefield a few years ago......but, your reply makes absolutely no sense. I have no affinity towards the Croatian team, and I'm not here to talk politics.....but as anybody who knows anything about soccer would tell you, they are simply the best players in the world next to Brazil! I happened to see both games in Euro qualifying between Yugo and Croatia (wouldn't miss that match-up for the world)and I have to say that Croatia totally outclassed you in both games. In Belgrade, it was particularily bad until the lights were "accidentally" turned off, and in Croatia they were playing without their best players and still clerly deserved the win (send your thank-yous to Ladic- the goalie, and the ref who disallowed Suker's goal in the first few minutes --cleraly passed the line--) In any case, that is what soccer is all about, anyone can win any given game...and Yugoslavia does deserve to be there, it's a shame that the most impressive team of Euro '96 won't get to go.
To say that the Croatians were a handicap to Yugoslavia is like saying African-born players are a handicap for France.
I hope that my comments are not perceived as hostile, I was just wondering if Yugo fans have ever heard of "Balkan Syndrome"? I think there are some incredible Yugoslav talents playing today, as there have always been, but are they mentally tough enough to do anything in Holland this year?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To set the record straight: the beating you refer A-Punk, came from NATO, what resulted <B>cleansing</B> that came from the Cros afterwards!

My explanation of "Balkan Syndrome" is as correct as (as you reffered) coach Blazevic's and your Cro fan's explanation.
In another words, the phrase leads to an insult.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now it's definitely obvious that AtomicPunk is Croatian, or of Croatian descent, or half-Croatian, or whatever other configuration you can think of.

Statements like:

"anybody who knows anything about soccer would tell you, Croatians are simply the best players in the world next to Brazil"

and

"send your thank-yous to Ladic- the goalie, and the ref who disallowed Suker's goal in the first few minutes --cleraly passed the line--) "

are a definite tip-off.

AtomicPunk is definitely one frustrated Cro who still can't get over the fact that his team isn't going to EURO, and worst of all it's because of Yugoslavia.
So, what the hell, he came here to let off some steam hoping he can provoke someone by bringing up some obscure, dumb-ass statements by that 'genius' Ciro Blazevic.

I know, AtomicPunk, it's tough watching Yugoslavia kick ass while trying to convince anybody who'll listen that it's Croatia who should have won.

Enjoy this summer.

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
No comment, really, everything is said above...
But it is a fact, which I pointed out a month or two ago, that we don't do that well at big tournaments... :(

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Atomic Punk....
your first mistake is talking to croatians about serbian people....
your second mistake is that you lack a basic fundamental understanding of football if you think that hrvatska outclassed Jugoslavija in both games. In Belgrade, I agree that this is what happened. Zvone Boban killed us, plain and simple, BUT, the chess club were still unable to score. In zagreb, our boys in blue went into that hostile thing you call a stadium - maksimir - with the war veterans in wheel chairs along the track and the bad blue boys and the torcida from the north and the south chorusing out racis fascist songs derogatory to Serbian mothers. And playing with 10 men for some 55 minutes, we held hrvatska to a 2:2 draw, thereby eliminating the chess club, leaving them to play checkers tournaments on their jerseys this summer. They were missing Boban, but in the first game we were missing Jugovic, I don't know who else you think the uzi's were missing....
Second point, as for our "syndrome" of never having won anything...I wouldn't call it a syndrome, I call it a lack of playing well as a team, this has to do with the fact that our best players are spread out around the world, and rarely play together, and the fact that we never seem to be able to hold on to a coach for more than 2 years...
Thirdly...do you really think that we are naive enough to beleive that you do not have some affiliation with hrvatska..."the best players in the world aside from Brazil"..you simply know too much about this not to be affiliated somehow....and as for your "little ass-kicking they gave you on the battle field"...well, this comment is a provocation, if you did not want to talk about politics, you should never have said that...but since you did bring it up, I can say that they kicked noones ass, ever, they have only ever been puppets to higher powers, for example, up until 1995, you guys couldn't take a rock if we didn't let you, but then we noticed mr tudjman giving oral pleasures to the pope, helmut kohl and bill clinton, so we decided it was best to save our hides and leave, while nato bombed away, so if i were you I would get no satisfaction out of this "victory" because you didn't acheive it alone, you are a coward...and you may have wom the war, but you certainly didn't win any of the battles....
and one last point...hrvatska would be nothing without us...look at your NT, Ciro Blazevic, Aljosa Asanovic and Miki Rapaijic are all Serbian.....
with that I would like to say that I hope I didn't say anything to get myself a red card, seeing as I've already received a yellow, and if I have, what can you do, this time I won't apologize to anyone, especially a cro who comes into our RED BLUE AND WHITE forum with a cheap disguise and spits on us...
ZIVELA SRBIJA (long live Serbia)
ZIVELA REPUBLIKA SRPSKA (long live the republic of Srpska)
ZIVELA REPUBLIKA SRPSKA KRAJINA (long live the Serbian Republic of Krajina)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! A lot of bitter people here tonight. Does this Balkan syndrome / Inferiority Complex bull**** run deeper than just soccer? I can't beleive that some of you can be so rabidly nationalistic to assume that just because someone knows soccer,( I probably know more about your team and players than most of you put together, same goes for Italy, Brazil, Argentina, and even Canada), makes them as filled with Hatred as you. Yup, because I watched Yugo vs. Cro, that makes me a Croatian infiltrator, and lets not forget, I also know you went to war.....sorry to disappoint, but I'm as Croatian as Pele.
I'll have to refrain from using the word Croatia to spare your paranoia. But, don't kid yourselves, they're better than Yugoslavia ever was.....And, I've watched Yugo play since the time most of you were still sucking your Serbian mothers' ***** ! Yeah, that's right, ask for it and I'll give you something offensive enough. Chill, life is soccer!
I guess the syndrome doesn't exsist for any of you...so here's something a little more appeasing: If you beat England and finish top 4 in Euro jr, which 3 players over age 23 would you like Yugoslavia to field for the olympics? Who do you consider M.V.P., the player with the biggest impact on your national squad?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P.S.- the word after Mothers' is supposed to read D I C K S

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
Well, AtomicPunk, let's put it this way, it is very hard for us to find something written by a moron "offensive", I'd rather say sad or maybe even funny, depends on your point of view..
Anyway, all that cr*p about Croatia being better than Yugoslavia ever was is really funny. If you don't know the final standings in the EURO 2000 qualifiers were
!. Yugoslavia
2. R.Ireland
3. CROATIA

Now, I know you are going to me that cr*p about us being lucky etc. , but couldn't we say the same thing about Croatia in WC?? I won't say that, they played well (but had a better draw than us in the second round) and deserved what they got, but then again nobody can take away from us the fact that we were FIRST in our group and they were THIRD!!
Talking about them "outclassing" us is also rubbish, in the match in Zagreb we could have scored at least two goals in the second half, with ten players (Mijatovic and Stankovic)!! Some will say Croatia played without some of their best players but everyone seems to forget that we played without Jugovic and J.Stankovic in both matches, without Piksi and Djorovic in Belgrade!! So in Belgrade we played without 3 standard midfielders and a defender..Thay were attacking the whole second half in Zagreb and couldn't even create a chance (apart from the goal they scored), so they simply didn't deserve to beat us..
And about your comment to send our thanks to Ladic, goalkeepers are members of the team as any other player and their skill counts just as much as the skills of any other player so if they conceed a stupid goal, it means their keeper hasn't got the skill, not to mention the fact we scored almost identical goals (says a lot about their defence), and what were supposed to do about Ladic, maybe lend them one of our keepers or maybe there should be a rule for matches against Croatia:
1. All shots at goal must be beyond 25m from goal
2. All free kicks and corners must be aimed outside the penalty box... ;)
Maybe that would give them a better chance..

I don't know if your Croatian or not, and I really don't care, but if we have any complexes, it's certainly not any kind of "Croatia complex" - why should it be??
They were third in the WC and congratulations to them but now we were two places ahead of them in the qualifiers so either their success in the WC was a fluke (which, as I said, I doubt, they played well and deserved it) or we are simply just to good....the more likely version...

NAPRED BATA MIRKOVIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RED STAR: I never really bought into the publicity about Serbs being idiots, but you do a great job at justifying it. I can't understand how tying Croatia in qualifications can make you feel so grand. They also tied Macedonia. You don't have to put down HRV (can't say Croatia anymore) to look good, you achieve that by winning. When you went up 2-0 against Germany and choked in France speaks much more than than tying HRV in qualifying. Holland, penalty shot by Mijatovic, typical Yugo mental toughness. No matter what questions I ask about Yugo, you love to go back and talk about tying Hrv (well come to think of it, it probably is your biggest international achievement...but that's besides the point) Despite the fact that Hrv has had better world rankings than Yugo since they've existed, not to mention that their jr team steam-rolled you..... you still insist that they're not better!! Wake-up! Don't hate my for loving HRV's style, I'm not the only one...as a Canadian going to the world cup (Having nobody to rout for), I was amazed by HRV, as was the rest of the soccer world. I read an historical essay on the roots of conflict in the former Yugo in which the author spoke of Serbs having an obsession with celebrating defeat which stemmed back to battles from Ottoman times..... I can't believe how well this relates.
Talk to me about why Yugo can win Euro, why they can win gold in Sydney without mentioning that they tied Hrv.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
let's see, tying the chess team on their home turf our greatest international acheivment...no...possibly our sweetest, but not greatest...possibly beating the Czech Republic 2-1 in Prague in WC-98 qualifiers, when Pedja Mijat scored one of the nicest goals I've ever seen (oh yeah by the way, Czech Republic is the 4th ranked team in the world if you want to talk rankings). We were the first side to ever qualify for an international tournament (EURO 92) without a loss, only to be banned from competition. Denmark took their place and won the whole thing. Let's see, Crvena Zvezda won the European Cup and the World Club title in 1991, and my I add that they were the first team to do it without one imprted player. Red Star is ranked the number 12 team in the history of European competition, right up there with Barca, Bayern, Real, Juve, Milan, Man U....I didn't see Dinamo or Hajduk anywhere on that list. Back to the international scene, absolutely demolishing Hungary in 2 games in which the aggregate score was 12-1 for the good guys and Pedja scored 7 goals. So he missed a penalty, that is no indication of his mental toughness, Michel Platini is regarded as one of the best footballers ever, yet he missed a penalty in WC-86, as did Baggio in WC-94. Will we win EURO 2000? We're a dark horse, and nobody says that we will win, ut I'd but fifty bucks on the team for fun, who knows they might just surprise everyone...we can beat anyone, but we can also lose to anyone, as for the "monumentaly better team croatia" who couldn't beat, i repeat COULD NOT BEAT US, well, they can silently cheer for us from their living rooms and cry bitter sweet tears if we win...and Stipe Mesic can declare a day of mourning.....
pomizi Boze....(God help us)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello there, I am not a croatian or Yugoslav.
Can I say something???
From what i have seen footabll for so far,
i never been influence by any crap newspapers. Though i have seen not many matches played by present Yugoslavia(serbs) or croatia(slav). I think can humblely suggest that Yugoslav have more world class midfielders whereas croatia have more world class strikers. Though both side also have good or equally strikers or midfielders.

Yugolsavia have "Balkan Syndrome" ???
I mean losing to holland dosen't meant Yugoslav is lousy. Holland can beat any team in the world when Holland is on form. Futhermore i think Holland beat Yugoslav quite luckily. Though Croatia do perform better against holland.

Ireland ??? Er it did lose to both Yugoslavia & croatia away(even at away goals rule).
Futhermore Ireland do also have some promising youths. Croatia this time perform poorer.

Slav football from my point of view is the most fancinating( including Russia and czechs and the rest.) I personally like the style russia played in Euro96 though they lose.Or the way romania defence push forward so slowing, yet so fustrating yet so exciting. Yugoslav in the worldcup98 against germany(from my netrual point of view they won the match).
Croatia in euro96 destory italy in the qualifers (what a knock out).

I hope to see more from slavs in the future in the international scene, i am bore to see what best crosser which isn't so perfect or strikers which spent most of the time injured to be called the best presently???!!!

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A Punk,

you are the one who said: "I probably know more about your team and players than most of you put together, same goes for Italy, Brazil, Argentina, and even Canada", so why ask us?
I'd like to hear from you as a long-livin' expert, what do you think how Yugo can win the Euro Championship (forget about Sydney for now, Yugo hasn't qualified yet) and what Yugo player would you pick above others?
Help us out smart-ars,... help us bitter rabidly nationalistic footy fans, that suffer from syndromes, inferiority complex and beatings that we celebrate obsessively from way back understand the quality of soccer A Punk see's.

Or, are you here to tell us or hear from us, considering your experties, how Yugo is not capable of winning the Euro Championship???

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If they totaly outclassed us why didnt they win.You also say that they were missing there best players in the second game, yes they were missing Boban but we were missing Jugovic and J.Stankovic
Spain also played poor in the world cup so does that mean they have got Spanish Syndrom.
( If your going to talk, dont talk nonesence)

·
Premium Member
27,245 Posts
Well, lets see, the reason I'm talking about Croatia is because you mentioned them you moron, can't you even remember what you wrote...or is that an intelectually too demanding task?? :)
Here are your arguments for proving that Yugoslavia has some kind of "syndrome"..:
1. Mijatovic misses a penalty (oh, yes, nobody has ever missed a penalty)
2. lose against Holland (yes, really, they are a very easy team to beat for anybody..)
3. draw against Germany ( have you seen their first goal -is that because of complexes or bad luck?)

It seems you are the one with a "syndrome", since it has become obvious to you that you can't prove Croatia is better than us, you now introduce the U21's..(hehe)
Well, good luck to them, they might have a better team in the future (but then again might not, young players are very unpredictable, great talents can disappear practically overnight) but they haven't got a better team now..so really your writing is pointless.

And if you are really Canadian, I suggest you avoid going to football matches (it's obviously a too complex sport for you to understand), and go back to ice - hockey... :)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
1960- A final for Euro against USSR lost 1:2 more because of Yugo relaion with the Soviet Union. 1968- two Euro finals against Italy (1:1; 0:2). 1976- semifinal for the Euro lost 2:4 to Germany. You know what happened in 1992. I don't want to return to it, they broke a great team. Besides, Zvezda won CL'91 and Partizan played once at the final. Is this nothing. Besides, now most of the plavi play in great european teams and play against such, so they are experienced enough to win the Euro. And the last is the onliest tournament not depending so much on sold matches (Before 1998 Platini said he would be glad if France wins classically to Brazil at the final?-hahaha). And my personal hopes are for Yugoslavia.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Delija: I would love to get some of that grass you must be smoking.......Red Star the likes of Barca or Milan, I'm sure a lot of up coming prodigees are dreaming of playing for Red Star!!....Did you hear Rivaldo wants to join too? It's a shame that club has been relegated to a has-been, flash in the pan....if they had the money to keep half of their good players, they could possibly advance past the preliminary round of a Euro club competition. As for the glory day(s).....do you consider the likes of Prosinecki and Pancev as foreigners today?
Yugo beat Hungary, HOLY COW! in case you weren't aware, Puskas doesn't play anymore....I beleive Canada could take Hungary today.
But what I really wonder is have you ever watched another team besides Yugo? .....You're very easy to impress, I bet if you were from Canada you'd think that we could win the world cup after our performance at the Gold Cup.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Delija: I would love to get some of that grass you must be smoking.......Red Star the likes of Barca or Milan, I'm sure a lot of up coming prodigees are dreaming of playing for Red Star!!....Did you hear Rivaldo wants to join too? It's a shame that club has been relegated to a has-been, flash in the pan....if they had the money to keep half of their good players, they could possibly advance past the preliminary round of a Euro club competition. As for the glory day(s).....do you consider the likes of Prosinecki and Pancev as foreigners today?
Yugo beat Hungary, HOLY COW! in case you weren't aware, Puskas doesn't play anymore....I beleive Canada could take Hungary today.
But what I really wonder is have you ever watched another team besides Yugo? .....You're very easy to impress, I bet if you were from Canada you'd think that we could win the world cup after our performance at the Gold Cup.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.