Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abel Balbo has hit out at claims that he has joined Boca Juniors for one last pay-day.

Balbo recently joined Boca from Roma after an illustrious career in Italy which saw him represent Udinese, Fiorentina, Parma and Roma.

But he is adamant that his career is not winding down. "I don't want to be treated as a star, that's not what I came here for. I came to help the team with my experience," he told onefootball.com:

"It would be stupid to come to Boca and not be in shape. I am not going to throw away 15 years of my professional career by coming back and not being on form.

"I made the decision to come to Boca with my heart because I have always wanted to end my career with the team and that dream is now coming true.

"I am going to fight for my place like any player, then the coach will decide if I play or not. I hope that my experience will be important for the team when we are trying to win our third Libertadores Cup."

The former Argentina star said he was overwhelmed by the warm welcome he had received since returning and added that he was hopeful of being included in the squad for the Libertadores game against Ecuadorian side El Nacional.

The game will be played at 2,500 metres above sea level and Balbo said: "I will be fine for the next match in the Libertadores Cup but it is up to the coach if I take part.

"I have never played in a place like that, but I am going to play like a forward, that is something I have spoken with Tabarez about.

"I have never been a forward who plays only in the area. In Europe I have learned how to take advantage of the free spaces that opponents leave behind their defence," he added.

The former Newell's Old Boys and River Plate star will only play in the Libertadores Cup - and is reluctant to dwell on his future after the tournament.

He said: "For the moment I have come only for the Libertadores, then I will have to see."

The veteran striker added that he was excited about the prospect of sa link-up with Juan Roman Riquelme. He said: "Riquelme is one of those players who makes a forward happy, he always leaves you face to face with the goalkeeper.

"Playing with Riquelme is everything a striker can ask for and I wish to take advantage of his talent and use it in a good way for the team."

Balbo is also relishing a Libertadores semi-final against River Plate - if both teams make it through. "That would be a very good match. Boca-River is a derby and it's extraordinary. And it is even more special if it is the semi-finals of the Libertadores Cup.

"It would be great, even if River won the Clausura derby 3-0 in the Bombonera."

·
Registered
205 Posts
I cannot believe that Boca Juniors buys a player to make him play only the Libertadores. And then they say that there's a huge crisis in Argentina.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Barros Schelotto, one of Boca forwards is injured, plus the period for inscribing players for the Argentina tournament is over, therefore Balbo can only play in the Libertadores, which Boca has a bigger chance of winning than the Argentina Clausura.

·
Registered
205 Posts
SZeppelin75 said:
Barros Schelotto, one of Boca forwards is injured, plus the period for inscribing players for the Argentina tournament is over, therefore Balbo can only play in the Libertadores, which Boca has a bigger chance of winning than the Argentina Clausura.
Oh now I understand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts