Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NIIGATA, Japan (Reuters) - Alen Boksic is recovering from an abdominal strain to make his long-awaited World Cup debut in Croatia's opening game against Mexico.

The injury-prone 32-year-old missed the entire tournament in France four years ago and was ruled out of Croatia's warm-up against a local Japanese select XI with the stomach problem.

But Croatia coach Mirko Jozic expects the Middlesbrough forward to be fit to partner Bosko Balaban in attack for Croatia's first game of the tournament, against Mexico in Niigata on June 3.

'Everything is okay with Boksic now,' national team spokesman Adolf Kozul said. 'He is to take part in normal training again and we are confident (over his fitness).'

Boksic, who was also ruled out of the 1996 European championships through injury, was not risked as Croatia beat a select side from Toyoma Prefecture clubs 4-0.

As well as Mexico, Jozic's side face Ecuador and Italy in first round group G of the finals, which begin on Friday.

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know if this is the case... or is this just typical media speculation once again???

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Typical speculation based of goalscoring statistics in the qualifiers I suspect. Suker will partner Boka.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
lol, what rubbish... not to mention that balaban didnt really shine in the training matches ;-)

·
International
8,545 Posts
It would certainly be a shocker if Balaban started the first game, I'm glad he was named to the team but not as a starter.

But u never know, he really wants and needs to prove himself.

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
only Suker-Boksic! they got our hopes up that these 2 guys would start the games dont take that away from us! i want these guys to finaly be able to show the world what they are or at least what they were made of

2 of the top 5 strikers in the world in the 90's! cant go wrong with that:) have the other guys come on as subs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts