Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thoughthe was finished but apparently not...(from onefootball)

Balaban benefits from Croatia attacking policy

Saturday 4th May 2002

Croatia coach Mirko Jozic has confirmed that Aston Villa forward Bosko Balaban will go to the World Cup - but only because of his attacking selection policy. "I am taking six forwards," he declared.

Balaban's place has been in doubt since he moved to Villa and failed to win a place in the Premiership club's starting line-up.

The debate about his inclusion has dominated the back pages in Croatia but now Jozic has finally confirmed that Balaban will go to the Far East.

However, he warned: "He is not my first, second, third or fourth choice forward."

Balaban is fortunate as most countries are expected to include a maximum of five fowards in their 23-man World Cup squad.

"I have said I don't like payers who are not playing for their clubs," Jozic added. "When you lose the form it comes back slowly.

"I kept faith with him [Balaban] for a long time, even when he didn't play in Aston Villa," explained the Croatia boss. "He played against Bulgaria in February, but he played badly."

"I have spoke to him and told him he will not play in Pecs against Hungary. I recommended he stayed to prepare for the Aston Villa game against Chelsea."

Jozic admitted he was also concerned about Igor Biscan, another Croatian star who has struggled to make an impact in the Premiership.

"I haven't forgot him, but he is not in the best situation at Liverpool," he said.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I don't beleive a word they say on onefootball.com

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Ero,

why not? Im just curious because it seems they get most reports correct. or i should say, the ones that i read.

:)

I remeber when they said Maric was going to be in the squad against Hungary, and they were right. Plus they got the news quicker than anybody else. that was a bit suspect, i admit. :confused:

anyway, let me know your thoughts on them bro

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
i "heard" jozic said it in interview on nova tv... "jozic: vodim balabana u japan!"... why not bring him i guess, he wont play anyway but it will give him back something for what he did for us before...

however, i hope that doesnt go against olic or maric

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
this makes it very interesting to see who will miss out if what is said is true regarding Balaban. I've got a feeling that Seric,Vranjes and Rapajic will be fighting for two spots. I can't remember Balaban playing against Bulgaria.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
they have shoddy editors, dodgy translations and speculative reporting done in the most unprofessional manner :)

but I must admit they do get some things right.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
yeah, but I dont think Jozic wants him to play - if he did, he would try him in one of the friendlies and give him chance to get some games... he didnt

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
If he's not going to play then it is a stupid move to bring him.

Why bring someone who is predetermined not to play?

Very stupid.

I too fear losing T. Maric or someone like Rapa or Vranjes over a player WHO WILL NOT PLAY.

This does not make sense.:confused:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
yea, I dont know... lets wait and see... calling him and playing him would be stupid as well, since he didnt call him to the friendlies...

lets wait to see the truth behind it

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Unbelievable!

wolf you and I are starting to agree on some matters, and I don't believe it.

Good, I knew you'd start coming to your senses sooner or later.;) :D :) ;)

·
Banned
692 Posts
no longer a onefootball.com sotry alone...

this story has been confirmed intodays vecernji list.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
yeah but there is one sentence about it only... so its hardly an explanation

besides, its not onefootball story, they just copy stuff, it was on tv in croatia apperantly, I was told tho that it was mamic speakin, dunno until I read full article about it

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
did you see Rudi Voller's WC selections? He left out Martin Max who scored 18 goals in the bundesliga and called up the fossil Oliver Bierhoff, and also Carston Jancker (who didnt score a single goal all year for Bayern Munich :eek: ) His reason for Max's ommission? "he has no international experience". what a fool. And i cant believe there wasnt room for Lars Ricken.

Can you imagine Jozic calling up Balaban at the expense of Olic or T.Maric? if he did that i'll be waiting for Mirko at the airport.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
lol, Voller is stupid.. its hard to believe that he couldnt fit best bundesliga scorer in his 23... I can see headlines in german media after they lose their first game ;-)

·
Registered
461 Posts
balaban desrves it..........remember he is the reason we r in da world cup in da 1st place............he gave boskic dat ball!!!!!!!!

HRVATSKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!USTASA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
we had more cancellations for friendly (Simic, Seric and Vranjes i think) but Jozic still didnt call balaban, so it is fair to say that he wont be a player... he might be one of the extra two guys that are there for experience

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
he called Vugrinec, man...3 defensive players cancel, so he brings on the attacking right mid. Jozic is a genuios.

ps. I'm reading Asanovic's book, and I like Ciro Blazevic even more !!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
who better than Vugrinec to fill Sukers position? (and Rapaic)...
and stop complaining about Ciro please, he is great coach, he did big things for us... however he didnt get us to Euro 2000 and he wasnt going to get us to WC 2002, so please stop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts