Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kfor, Eulex = OUT!!
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bajevic walks out of AEK
Monday, 26 January 2004
Dusan Bajevic has resigned as coach of AEK Athens FC following the deterioration of his relationship with the Greek club's fans.

Fans' protests
Bajevic returned to the AEK helm in summer 2002, but many supporters had not forgiven him for moving to rivals Olympiacos CFP in June 1996. The Serbo-Montenegrin, who had been the recipient of menacing messages, decided to stand down after abusive chants were aimed at his wife and fans waved a banner saying "traitor" during Sunday's 4-0 home win against Iraklis FC.

I could not cope with this situation any longer

Dusan Bajevic

'A matter of ethics'
"My decision to leave was taken yesterday," he said on Monday. "You all saw and heard what went on. I cannot take that - it is a matter of ethics, it hurts me. I feel bad that I could not give AEK everything I wanted, and regret leaving a job half-done. I believe in the players. They asked me to stay, but I could not cope with this situation any longer."

Persias in charge
Meletis Persias, Bajevic's assistant, will take over as caretaker coach ahead of the crucial visit to Panathinaikos FC on Sunday. Meanwhile, AEK vice-president Petros Stathis has also left the club, saying: "When I decided to come back and help AEK, I did it mainly because of Bajevic's presence. I failed to keep him here and I resign too."

Tsiartas comments
Midfield player Vassilios Tsiartas said: "Mr Bajevic told us that he cannot continue like this. What can we do? He's not changing his mind and he's not staying." Referring to the coach's role in preventing players from leaving the club over unpaid wages, Tsiartas added: "It was Mr Bajevic who managed to keep us all together during the summer. Now we have no moral obligation." AEK are fourth in the Alpha Ethniki.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
A good friend of mine here in Vancouver played under Bajevic at Velez in '86 / '87. My friend was only 17 at the time and was in the reserve team. He told me that Dusan Bajevic was one of the nicest people he's ever known. My friend who is Croat also said one of his dreams was to see Dusan again, sit down and talk... He had a rough time at Velez being home sick, no family there (his were from Slavonia) and Dusan often helped him cope by having him over for dinner with his family all the time... He has nothing but good things to say about the man.

And this is not to start anything...He also told me that Bajevic's real father was a Croat (Serb mother) but he died when Dusan was a baby and his mother re-married a Serbian man.

I have no idea why I'm telling you this....

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Yes. I only hear good things about him too.

Most AEK fans really like him, and its too bad how it ended for him.

·
Registered
36,107 Posts
velez....grrrrrrrrr :fero:

;)

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
Super Croat said:
A good friend of mine here in Vancouver played under Bajevic at Velez in '86 / '87. My friend was only 17 at the time and was in the reserve team. He told me that Dusan Bajevic was one of the nicest people he's ever known. My friend who is Croat also said one of his dreams was to see Dusan again, sit down and talk... He had a rough time at Velez being home sick, no family there (his were from Slavonia) and Dusan often helped him cope by having him over for dinner with his family all the time... He has nothing but good things to say about the man.

And this is not to start anything...He also told me that Bajevic's real father was a Croat (Serb mother) but he died when Dusan was a baby and his mother re-married a Serbian man.

I have no idea why I'm telling you this....
Nice story SC and about his father, could well be.

I spoke to a friend of mine, an AEK supporter and he told me what happened and both of us were pretty shocked.
In short Dule was at AEK earlier in his career and became some sort of God to them when all of a sudden he went for the bigger money at Olympiakos. Of course most AEK fans saw him as traitor from there on and didn't want anything do with him anymore. That's why they reacted in such a furious manner when Dule made his comeback there. The AEK fans were split on the matter, some welcomed him back but the "hardcore" ultras decided to make his life hell by all kinds of chants and even by attempting to beat him up. Still Dule continued until last week when the fans chanted about the fact his wife can't have any kids, an extremely disturbing and sick thing to do!

So I understand his decision although in his heart he probably didn't want to leave at all. All the best to Dule though, I think it's time for a team outside of Greece.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Ma, when fans start to threaten the persons family it is time to go. I heard that his home was also damaged or something along those lines.

Having said that, you cannot leave to become coach of your biggest rivals and then expect a happy return. Especially in a country like Greece where the fans are as hardcore as anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
40,649 Posts
dinamovac11 said:
Ma, when fans start to threaten the persons family it is time to go. I heard that his home was also damaged or something along those lines.

Having said that, you cannot leave to become coach of your biggest rivals and then expect a happy return. Especially in a country like Greece where the fans are as hardcore as anywhere in the world.
True on both accounts. He shouldn't have left in the first place and I actually understand why some fans thought of him as a traitor, hell I would too, but there are of course limits and needless to say they left those behind a long time ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts