Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Roberto Baggio says he hopes to fight his way into Giovanni Trapattoni's Italy squad in time for the 2002 World Cup finals.

Baggio, 33, is out of contract at Inter Milan and has yet to agree a deal with a club for next season but he says he is looking to prove he can still play at the highest level.

In an interview with the daily Gazzetta dello Sport, Baggio revealed that Inter president Massimo Moratti had offered him a job on the coaching staff but said his playing career was not yet over and he wanted to go out in style.

"I want to continue playing. I want to carry on until 2002 and make the World Cup in Japan and South Korea. That is my aim," said Baggio.

Last season Baggio found himself frozen out at Inter by coach Marcello Lippi and despite scoring two crucial goals against Parma in an end of season play-off which gave the Milan club a place in the Champions League, it was clear he had no future in Lippi's plans.

He said his restricted opportunities at Inter had cost him a possible place in Dino Zoff's Euro 2000 squad.

"If a player plays little then he cannot convince the national team coach and last year I didn't play much," said Baggio, "That is why I now want to go to a team where I can demonstrate my quality."

Baggio has appeared in the last three World Cup finals but he will be 35 at the next one. He has scored 160 goals for Fiorentina, Juventus, AC Milan, Bologna and Inter - more than any other player currently in Serie A.

I really doubt it!But I appreciate his confidence of himself!It really shows that he is still confident about himself and clearly still wants to play,which is a great news of Baggio's fans!!With the likes of Totti,Fiore,Pirlo,Del Piero,I think his chance are slim unless all these players got injured b4 the tournament!

Forza Baggio!!!
Forza Inter!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
he is one of the most magical players ever, which means he at least has a chance. look, because of the injury to vieri, del piero (with ONE goal in serie a) was a major player on the italy euro2000 team. so what if del piero, totti, pirlo get hurt? then italy can turn to baggio. i wouldn't bet against him. 45 minutes from baggio is better than 180 minutes from del piero, as the last world cup proved.

D

·
0 Posts
Of course he's a magical player, but I doubt, with so many talented, and younger strikers, it's unlikely Baggio will be picked.
Even if DP isn't picked, it's still unlikely Baggio will be chosen.
Right now Delvecchio, Inzaghi, Vieri, Montella, and Totti are prefered much mre to him. In 2 years time there will be a number of others, like maybe Ventola or S. Inzaghi, so unless Baggio scored something like 30 goals in one season I highly doubt he will ever make it back into the Azzuri, which is sad :(

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Baggio can more than easily get into the Azzuri, he is still a world-class player, it's just that **** Lippi didn't let him show his stuff last season. Baggio is 100000000000 times better than Del Piero, I hope Trapattoni realises this and puts him in the team along with Pirlo and Totti. 35 years old, who cares. Blanc is 35 and was a clear starter for France.
Age means nothing, quality means all. Forza Roberto!!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Baggio doesn't have to competer with totti and Pirlo....they are gonna be untouchables.

the guys he has to compete with is Del Piero Fiore and Cassano.

I can easily see him out performing Fiore but if Del Piero hits form again everyone will be again on his band wagon and Baggio unless he makes a smart choice and plays somewhere where he can play alot he will again go under to hype boy Del Piero.

as for Cassano he cannot be compared.

There are 3 spaces for number tens in the Italian squad. There should be four if you ask me but most of the coaches only include four so IMHO it should be Cassano Totti and Pirlo but Baggio and Fiore should also be considered.

i have no doubt in my mind that Baggio is good enough but i think we all know who will be the strikers for next W.C. if everyone is fit and if we are honest with ourselves.

Totti Vieri Pirlo these 3 will be the strike force.

Cassano and probably Montella will be there but i hope that Ventola can make the cut too.

It will be very very tough for Baggio. But i still hope to see both he and Maldini win the W.C. together.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Even if Del Piero hits his form again he will still suck at international level. He was at his 'good form' during euro96 and wc98 and waht did he do? Baggio will always be better than Del Piero. Del Piero lovers, please put aside your emotions towards this man and ask yourself "What has this player done for the Azzuri?"
Totti, Pirlo and Baggio will hopefully go to jap2002. Casanno is still too young and doesnt quite rival the three players i have mentioned yet.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
it is a big joke that we are even mentioning del piero and baggio in the same thread. del piero has done absolutely NOTHING in his entire italian national team careed. we all know what baggio has done.

30 or 40 years from now, del piero will be reading bedtime stories to his grandchildren: stories about the great baggio.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Very well said Falcao. It's only the blind Del Piero lovers that still want this man in the Azzuri. Open your eyes people, look at his international performances.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
to say that Cassano is not ready simply shows again!!!!! that some of you guys speak before you think.

Did i say that W.C. 2002 is tomorrow?

Cassano has 2 whole years to become good enough for Italia....He can do it.

if you have ever seen Cassano play you would understand what i am saying but if yu have not please.....please......just say you don't know.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Yes I have seen Cassano play and I know how good he is. He will definitely not be there for the wc qualifiers but he may be in the team for the wc. I still don't think he is good enough to rival Totti and Pirlo but he may be able to do this over the next two years. He is definitely better than DP though.
I agree with what you said about DP and Pippo being in the next game, ofcourse they will. The Del Piero and Pippo lovers will still insist they be in there, but once Totti plays abit more he will once again show the people who the real no.10 of Italy should be.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I hope Baggio as soon as possible leaves inter,****inglippi always abandoned him wherever he coaches,i never even know for what reason:mad:
if Baggio leaves for Reggina,Perugia,or Napoli where he can always be a starter,then he will be able to prove that he deserve to play in Azzuri.
And please no del-pippo again,at least for this year.They suxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Italia still has Totty,Pirlo,Vieri

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
well you never know in two years del piero might improve or vieri might have a slump but i think this should be the team for 2002

pirlo ventola vieri totti baggio (as a veteran)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts