Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont need t explain why...it would be a treat...the man deserves to represent his country after that diabolical 2002 exclusion...it would be a treat to everyone...

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
exactly what I said on the olympics topic :D

It would be a lesson for our U21 squad just to be playing with him!!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
i think the olympics should just be for the kids. and yes we owe baggio a lot but like primo says, this is not the way to show our appreciation.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I don't think it's a good idea, because it's such a cheap way to say "thanks" to all he has done for Italy. I mean he deserved a place for the WC02 and deserves it for the EU04, but he didn't/won't get it. Who's fault it is I don't have to mention. The point is that he is THE BEST and deserves to be threated like that, so why again should he settle for 2nd best?!

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
pirri said:
i dont need t explain why...it would be a treat...the man deserves to represent his country after that diabolical 2002 exclusion...it would be a treat to everyone...
:thumbsup: YEEEEEES!!!! :)
That would be a highlight of an extraordinary career! :) An honour he would definetely deserve.... Robby is not weaker then the younger players and there is lot they could learn from him. Nice idea.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: Re: Baggio Should go to the olimpics

delpi_vanni_10 said:
:thumbsup: YEEEEEES!!!! :)
That would be a highlight of an extraordinary career! :) An honour he would definetely deserve.... Robby is not weaker then the younger players and there is lot they could learn from him. Nice idea.
I'd go further even further than that. Let him carry the Italian flag and lead the Italian athletes into the Athens Olympic Staiudm at the Opening Ceremony. What do you think?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Gentile evades Baggio talk Wednesday 7 January, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under-21 boss Claudio Gentile has dodged questions on whether he could select Roberto Baggio for the Athens Olympics.

There are calls for the tactician to include the 36-year-old after the No 10 revealed that he would be quitting the game at the end of the season.

"I would rather not comment on the tournament seeing as we haven¡¦t even qualified for the event yet," said the former Juventus stopper.

"Therefore I can¡¦t possibly answer any questions regarding Baggio. I¡¦m currently thinking about the U-21 Euro Finals. Only after that will I consider the Olympics."

The Azzurrini will need to reach the semi-finals of those European Championships in order to book their place in Greece.

Baggio would be eligible to play in the Games as all the teams are given the opportunity to include three over age players.

The Italian legend announced over the Christmas break that he would probably be bringing his glittering career to an end this summer.

"I¡¦ve read his quotes and I don¡¦t know what he will do in June," added Gentile. "Whatever decision he makes it must be respected.

"I won¡¦t allow myself to judge whether it is right or wrong that he is considering retiring from the game."

channel4

·
Registered
45,844 Posts
nina said:
I don't think it's a good idea, because it's such a cheap way to say "thanks" to all he has done for Italy.
Who cares? With him Italy have some chances to win the Olympics and that's what really matters. Anyway I see it rather difficult cause neither Gentile nor Baggio seem so happy about this opportunity. :rolleyes:

V

·
0 Posts
I think this would be great, one time enjoy from Roby at a tournament, and then say goodbye to active soccer with a gold medal.

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Baggio Should go to the olimpics

InterOz said:
I'd go further even further than that. Let him carry the Italian flag and lead the Italian athletes into the Athens Olympic Staiudm at the Opening Ceremony. What do you think?
:) I think if he is included in the olympic team they will surely think about that.... Ahhhh, what a nice imagination!

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Vinnie 1983 said:
I think this would be great, one time enjoy from Roby at a tournament, and then say goodbye to active soccer with a gold medal.
Right. But to be honest: If I could chose I would prefer the A- Team winning in Portugal. I was too little when they won their last title, I would love to see them winning a big tournament again. It counts more than a gold medal at the olympics....

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
I always thought there was an age limit for Olympic football? :confused:

·
Registered
45,844 Posts
delpi_vanni_10 said:
Right. But to be honest: If I could chose I would prefer the A- Team winning in Portugal. I was too little when they won their last title, I would love to see them winning a big tournament again. It counts more than a gold medal at the olympics....
One win does note exclude the other, the players are different and can concentrate on the different targets. The only player who could participate to both the Eurofinals and the under 21 tournament is Cassano (but I fear that he could miss both. :groan: ). Baggio is the best Italian player surely not partecipating to the next Euro so it's the best choice to convoke him for the Olympics.
Maldini (who would hardly accept) and a goalie would be a good way to complete the over 23 players.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Including Baggio would be more of a compensation for his great years in Italian football, he would officially be a retired player in the olympics also. Better would be to include a player on the verge of the Italian NT that didn't make the squad, someone like Ambrosini or Miccoli perhaps.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
ToniSamp said:
Who cares? With him Italy have some chances to win the Olympics and that's what really matters. Anyway I see it rather difficult cause neither Gentile nor Baggio seem so happy about this opportunity. :rolleyes:
I care! And probably some other Baggio fanatics as well! I don't care if Italy wins and Olympic gold in football, it's Olympics for God's sake, not the most valuable nor highly noticable football event! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts